Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
I upgraded my stereo this winter and now I need to do the same to my charging system to keep up.

I was leaning toward the golf cart batteries before I realized how tall they are. The only good place I have to mount batteries is 10" tall. What has a high reserve capacity that is less than 10" in height?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
What kind of boat is this?

You don't have anywhere in any of the storage compartments to put them in? I've yet to see a tow boat that couldn't fit some in there, in some capacity. Luckily mine fit up underneath my transom.... I have to tip them to fit them past the battery door, but 4 6V's fit.

But before we get to far, tell us how many and what kind of amps you have.... and we'll tell you what you need battery wise. You'll also need to tell us what your requirements are (play time wise).

That being said... unfortunately there's nothing that really achieves what your looking for. With high reserve capacity, comes size. Your only missing a few of the 6V's by less than an inch... is there really no way to fudge it?

If you've got a really massive system, your gonna have to sacrifice some reserve capacity and go to 12V deep cycles. Hopefully you got enough room in your area to cram 5 or 6 in there. I've looked at the crowns, rolls surretts and the trojans, and all are taller than 10"'s for the 6V's.... just barely, but they are. Just plan on 5 or 6 and you should be good....assuming your system is as big as you make it sound.

You may not even need this much battery though, so let us know what you got, and we'll go from there!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
I have a '99 MariStar 210VRS. I suppose the statement that there is no place 6V batteries will fit is false, there are places they can fit, but I prefer that they fit in the stock battery location. If the gold cart batteries are truly the best way to go, I will figure out something.

My stereo puts out around 2300 watts RMS. I don't just sit and play much with the engine off, but I would like to have that option. I need the system to run for maybe 5 hours with the engine running and maybe 1-2 hours with it off.

Thanks for the help.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
List your amps! It will really help us. In reality you aren't pulling close to the amperage that you think your pulling, despite the RMS ratings.

1-2 hours isn't that much. While your driving, your alternator is running everything too. You could prob. get away w/ 3 good 12V deep cycles and be ok.

Heck you could prob. even get away w/ 3 Optima Blues... and I think they are the most overrated battery around. 2 T-105's (you need 2 for the 12V string) would give you every bit of what you want. T-145's are even better

My set-up is as follows

2- ARC KS300.2's
1- ARC KS1000.1
1- ARC KS300.4

That's a bit over 3K Watts. A single 12V string of T-145's will last me almost EXACTLY 6 hours of continuous play. I've tested this w/ my two sets of T-145's that I have. Both produced identical results. I now run 4 - T-145's and have yet to drain them.

Just a bit of advice.... if you go the route of a large battery bank, your gonna wanna charge them w/ shore power. NOT YOUR ALTERNATOR. You will your batteries with your alternator, and you will probably kill your alternator as well.

You may look into the Kinetik batteries.... Tim White seems to like them.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Sound Stream Rubicon 502 bridged @4 Ohms
Sound Stream Rubicon 502 bridged @2 Ohms
Pioneer PRS-D1200M @2 Ohms
Phoenix Gold 200.2

Speakers were upgraded this winter, not amps. I had to make do with what I had on hand and second hand specials.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Looking at what you got, your prob. pulling close to something like 60-70 CONSTANT amps. Or we'll say an average. Music is extremely transient in nature and has peaks and valleys. So your draw is up and down.

With what your pulling and what your wanting to do, you'd prob. be good with two optima blue tops. 3 if you wanna be safe.

Maybe even look at the kinetiks or odyssey batteries if you got the coin.

Trojan makes a good AGM, alot of the guys here like the costco AGM's as well. 2 or 3 of those would prob. get you by for an hour no sweat, and not kill your alternator.

I still recommend topping off whatever u decide on with some type of shore charger at the end of the day.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
I almost forgot about the lifelines! GREAT batteries. Looks like they may even have exactly what your looking for!!!!

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=14
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. The Liflines do look like they will do the trick. I'll call and get a price tomorrow. I will probably start with 2 and maybe add 2 more later if needed.

Will I still need to keep them isolated from my alternator?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
You prob. don't need to.

But I would def. put them on a shore charger at the end of the day.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
OK, the Lifelines are a bit expensive, so before I jump into this, someone check my math. Am I correct that it would take 6 blue top Optimas to equal 2 of the life lines?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-23-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
kinetik batts are good...HC2400 should do the job

I think you would need to mount them on their side.

(Message edited by johnsvt on June 23, 2009)
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Until you see the price of the Kinetik's ;)

Jon,
Actually 3 Optima D31M's are just barely less than the 1 12V string (2 batteries) of Lifelines.

So 2 of the lifelines for $171 a piece shipped...
http://www.powerstridebattery.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=214&idproduct=2016

Or 3 D31M's for $200 a piece.

The 6V's still win out in available juice and do it for $250 cheaper!

That being said... costco batteries might be an option to look at if you want it cheap!!! You might be suprised who makes those costco's! To bad there aren't any around me.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-24-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
Check that website again, the price is $282. The cheapest I have found them is $261. I think the Optimas are $155 at Sam's Club.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/698706.html

Check out the West Marine battery's. And if you don't like them the return policy is great.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
John,

The one's that grant is referring to at WM are actually made by DEKA (Penn Industries) and are great batteries if you want to go the AGM route. The prices will be a bit below Optimas and they are better batteries . (period)

I currently have 3 optima blue top series 34. I am getting a reserve capacity of 360 and amp hrs of 165. I can play all day with my three Wetsounds amps.

If I ever need to replace the batteries, here are the options that I am going to consider.

3 8A24M’s- RC of 405 and 237 AH-Similar size as far as foot print but are a little taller.

2 8A27M’s- RC of 350 and 184 AH-These are the same height as the 8A24M but longer.

3 8A27M’s- RC of 525 and 276 AH

2 8A31DTM- RC of 400 and 210 AH- About the same size as the group 27.

I got this info from a guy on the forum out at Blanchard Electric.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
murph, i'm considering picking up a couple deka's from brett as well. if i remember right, i think he was telling me, there's a model that if you bought two, it would give approximately the same number of HA's as (3) blue tops. he said it was the same foot print as the blue top, but a little taller. do you know which one that is? looking at the numbers above, it must be the 8A27M, right? i wish i had the money right now to do it. i'm limping along with just one blue top for my stereo and it doesn't last much more than a day with moderate use.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Correct Bruce Mac.

I wish I could buy them from him but the shipping would defeat any savings ( I am in Dallas)

We have an East Penn Distributor here in Dallas that I will buy from.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
i just went and found his email, but i'm pretty sure he was saying that (2) of the group 24's which would have to be the 8A24M's, would equal approximately 3 blue tops, but that math doesn't look right. i shot him an email.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Those are actually the numbers that he sent to me several months ago. All I did was cut and paste.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-24-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Here is a little bit of info that will allow anyone to calculate what you need or what you have as capacity in your batteries.

http://www.powerstream.com/battery-capacity-calculations.htm
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-24-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Jon,

Your right... I was looking at the wrong figure. I still say you ought to go w/ just 2 blue tops or two of the WM batteries Grant is recommending. Your system isn't that big, and your requirements out of your batteries aren't that much.

Are you sure you don't have another 1/2" to play w/ inside that area your looking at once your past the doorway?

Good luck.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
I had a few spare min. today so I stopped by the local Golf Cart repair place. I ended up buying two used Exide E-3600s that test good for $30. I figure I got to start somewhere.