Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    jojomantor            09-07-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
i thinlk that scott byerly is the coolest and most influential rder there will ever be who is your favorite rider?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
why is byerly your favorite, and what are your reasons why you think he's the most influential?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-07-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
Erik Ruck, Keith Lymen, Shawn Watson... all have amazing style!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-08-2004, 4:17 AM Reply   
I like Rusty. Underated, but he is improving so fast, and he absolutely holds nothing back. I think you'll see a lot more of Rusty soon.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-08-2004, 4:27 AM Reply   
JD WEBB... I think he is by far one of the sickest riders out there... The kid has TONS of style, you never see a grab poked quite the same way with him and they all look good. Awesome that he took a gold on the PWT!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
My favorite rider is joey mantor
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-08-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
Jean-Francois Gosselin and Parks
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
Randall

I don't like JD's style, how he has to tweak everything all different and all to the max. I don't dig that.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-08-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
no question........David Williams!!! He is so rad.

I'm still waiting on my free WW t-shirt.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Joe........
Byerly has been influencial in wakeboarding from the begining. I wouldn't say he's ever been the best rider, but he has played a part in the direction of wakeboarding. Twin tip boards, to weighting systems, sliders and wakeskating- he's been there, done that. He hasn't been a media whore either- my 2 cents and sticking up for Byerly............
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
I think he wanted that from jojo.
Old     (bladerunner)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
cody hall, vandall
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
I will probably get heat for being unoriginal but I have to go with Parks. Every video I have with him in it, his sequences just blow me away.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
I have a bit of a thing for Emily Copeland....

E.J.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-08-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
touche
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
shaun murray --- hands down!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-08-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
My favorite rider is Salmon Tacos. I like it when he does w2w's, grabs, 180's, powerslides, etc. It gives me much more joy than when anyone else does a triple-grabbed whirly 1080.
Old    edward            09-08-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
i like how murray just floats everything and his sense of humor, i like how keith lymen goes into the flats on everything. but my all time favorite is leslie kent cuz she wakeboards, is better than me at it, and is hot.

i wanna see a triple-grabbed whirly 1080!
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
umm are u guys forgeting the best philip soven i mean how many of u are older than him and he could kick ur ass at wakeboarding
Old    murrayair            09-08-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
What Chuck said.
Old    jojomantor            09-08-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
my favorite rider is scott byerly because hes really the only one who gives it up for his whife and god and his kid he doesnt try to bring in attention either he is just an all around good boarder and good family man
Old    david_jackson            09-08-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
DANNY HARF the king
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
Sean O'brien and Silly Ho Hopkins..
Old    jojomantor            09-08-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
i like danny harf hes rad same jd webb hes hella cool

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2004, 11:57 PM Reply   
THE VANDEL, nuff said.
Old    daverock            09-09-2004, 12:29 AM Reply   
As far as yanks go, I enjoy watching these dudes ride:
Shawn Watson
Kieth Lyman
Randall
Erik Ruck

All for the obvious reasons.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-09-2004, 4:43 AM Reply   
murray, parks, watson, harris, harf and of course byerly.

love watching all these guys, parks just cause he's so explosive, but the rest cause of how smooth their riding is. I general pretty the smooth style!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 4:57 AM Reply   
Murray and Friday
Old     (leshella)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-09-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
harris and jd

harris, well, you all know that his style is just siiiiick (in a high pitched voice)
and jd is just bomb. although i still think he should have never buzzed his hair off. i definitly have a thing for blonds!
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
Umm.. Greg Necrasson
Old    peaceloveboard            09-09-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
Hello,

I think that one cool aspect of wakeboarding is that there are so many talented riders, many of whom have their own unique styles. Each athlete can bring something new to the sport, and I think that wakeboarding will continue to grow because of all of the influences of other boardsports. For me, I like to watch so many people and I enjoy all of the tricks and styles. I guess one rider that has always stood out to me is Mark Kenney. His style was so fluid and I think everyone could see his passion for the sport.

Mike
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Bylery and Gator are the reason the sport is where it is today!

Randall is my Favorite free rider always will be...

Harf is my favorite contest rider and all around cool guy...

watson and parks are always held in high regard on all fronts...video, contest and all around cool guys...

umali-whats with the job interview questions???
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
because i like to see the reasoning behind their choices. there are good reasons to pick one rider over the others, and there are bad reasons as well (ie; "i like parks the best 'cause he can do double halfcab rolls.")
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
hey I like Parks cause he can do double halfcab rolls.
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
joe- nice...i feel ya...

Old    martini            09-09-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
i forgot about the guy who pushed me the hardest back in the day Corey Marotta!

number one boat driver EVER! Eric B!

Ricky G...is one of my favorite riding partners! and of course Melissa Marquardt she is my new favorite riding partner...the chick rocks!

Tim Vanderlinde,cody hall, kyle murphy,aaron grace,chris sayer,brent baum,damian klass,Jeff Barton,jeremy Thompson all get hornable mention!

and my homies away from home L.O.C.! you know who you are! Chuck,Rob,Seth,Joe,Bob,Ross,Greg,Chyener,
and Nate Dizzle!Kenny and his kids!

my newphew EBJ! lookout norcal he is on a mission!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
I got to say it's the people I ride with.I get stoked when I see them pull a move for the first time.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-10-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
The oldschoolers inspire me more than most riders today, so I'd really have to go with schmaltz and greg nelson, and the vintage stuff from scott and gator. And I love randy's riding too, whether it be from 1996 or 2004...

Thomas is probably my favorite wakeskater.

I forgot someone--chad sharpe. His aggressiveness inspires me

(Message edited by electricsnow on September 10, 2004)
Old    hyperliteryder            09-10-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
parks is good, I like his style, and I like his board. JD webb is awesome, but the greatest rider of all time, MY DAD!! haha yea right,
Old    bigj            09-10-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Pete, Is their anyone you forgot? Take it easy on the coffee pal.
Old    martini            09-10-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
Here we go...

Bill-do i know you?

your obviously don't get it...thats the joke...

there isn't just one rider to pick....

(Message edited by martini on September 10, 2004)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-10-2004, 7:38 PM Reply   
My favorite riders are my friends at O'Dub. But if I have to pick a pro then it's Shaun Murray. Why? Because he came out to OWC one day when I was there and was a friendly personable guy, even offering some good tips.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
Electricsnow, I thought you didn't like Chad sharpes style...........;)

Harris is the best wakeboarder ever, hands down
Hampson is the only one better then thomas(from what I've seen)

and you got to give to Schmaltz and Nelson for originality and creativity

-RUSSIAN
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-10-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
i would have to go with Danny Harf... he just looks like he is having a blast out there 100% of the time.... and next i have to say my boy Tino Santori.... TeamTige....
Old    optionryder420            09-11-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
1Gator
2Parks-Shapiro
3Murray
Old    jojomantor            09-11-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
chris anthony u live in dublin i live in pleasanton
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-11-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
russian, that's still somewhat true. But I basically appreciate the fact that he'll keep killing himself to land whatever trick he's working on. He just seems driven and aggressive when he rides; I like that and it inspires me. I guess it's really more about attitude. But there are some things I don't mind watching from him, like that gap in metronome.

After reading todd richards' autobiography, he sounds like he's the same way and I LOVE it!!

I also forgot to mention josh smith. Pete is basically right though, it's impossible to limit a favorite rider to just one person.
Old    byerly137pro            09-11-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
One of my favorite riders is Ricky Gonzalez, I saw this guy fall twice on a huge double backroll of the double and when he got to shore he still had a big smile on his face because he just loves the sport. I also like Rusty causes hes just a party animal on the water, hes crazy, you should hear him scream when he takes a sip of beer its hilarious.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-12-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Josh Storrer...... because he is smooth and can do a lot of his tricks switch as well, 5's both ways, crow mobe both ways, 7's. TS 9's... oh, and best of all, he works a regular job for a living so he does not get a chance to ride very often at all. Natural talent and a super nice guy.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-12-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
I like Arun. He goes both ways - toe & heal!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-12-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
If I could pick one guy to watch from the boat...Vandel. In a tournament, Harf-1, Santori-2, Soven-3, Parks-4, and Rusty Malinowski-5(watch him...he is movin up). Oh yeh, I like my kid Derek(watch him tooo)!
Old    wakejump            09-13-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
would have to be parks
Old     (player)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
parks is crazy and like complete the sickest tricks but danny harf, shawn watson and some other guys are more stylish than him. byerly is pretty cool too he got wakeboardin and wakeskatin started. jd webb and soven are both amazing for their ages.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-13-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Collin Wright, one of the most amazing riders and figures on the scene in my opinion. We also need to pay respect to Mr Corey Kraut and Greg Nelson.
Corey brought the style with the monkey spins, who has forgotten that term? RIP bro, wish I would have had the chance to meet you...
Greg and his entrepreneurship, bring DUP boards to the map, I think their team was sick in 99/00. How many people have seen Double Up The Movie? Some of the most soulful riding, Storrer, Wright, Luke Wolf, Nelson. Wright can do 180s-7s every way, switch, backside, grabbed, double grabbed, sooo smooth, and I rode with him after the tragic incident, still displayed wonderful character, even slapped on the board and rode for us on a choppy day behind a sport nauti with no weight, a high pole and a poly e low stretch line... prolly the most memorable experience of my wakeboarding career... just thought you ought to know... oh yea he rips wakeskating, snowboarding, everything
THERE YOU GO JOE, THATS WHY C-DUB RIPPPPPPSSSS
Old     (bec)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-16-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
I think Dallas Friday is the sickest rider out there! Her and shaun Murray, parks, Byerly and watson. They all have sick styles!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-17-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
Josh Storrer - Amazing footage of him in the Delta Sessions DVD AND he has a gorgeous body! Anyone know if he is single? J/K
Old    vern            09-17-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
I'm my favorite ridder. I will beat out any pro at the most important tricks... like face planting, eye peelers, and the proverbial heels over head landings. :-) just kidding

Byerly and Shapiro are just awsome. I love watching those guys ride.
Old    martini            09-17-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
thanks electric snow!

Daune-your right about collin, he deserves mad respect for al he has done and is doing for the sport....
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-17-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
Well pete, it's totally true. I'd make my tiny little list, and then I'd be like "wait, what about this guy..." and then I'd think of more...like bill mccaffray. The way he'd pop his switch tricks on those old sceptors and the tiny wakes...it makes me smile!

And, bennifer used to have their nickname, but for whatever reason, sometimes I think of bill as "billiam"--like a cross between bill and william...how weird is THAT!

(Message edited by electricsnow on September 17, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-18-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
Favorites all time are Murray,Necrason,and Harf on the mens side D.Friday on the womens..

i like them all but hose guys stand out to me ...
Old    martini            09-18-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
diffently electric snow...

the whole sport of wakeboarding owes McCaffray a collective "thank you" for all he does to keep this sport on the legit side for all disciplines of board riding...
Old    cykosis            09-20-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
I really like Adkison and Murray!!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-23-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
pete, I totally agree. Awhile ago I was reading one of my old wake zines (I don't remember which one) and I believe I read something about how bill was basically one of the early riders to really campaign for a different contest format (you know, to basically get away from the pre-determined runs and 26 second format).

I know there are other things he's done, but that was one that stood out in my mind and I really respected him for that.

And you know...I still love to watch him ride too. Or...I know they're (alliance) big fans of the new roam board, but back in "for what it's worth" there's a clip of bill riding his impala finless and he's totally tweaked out on the tail, doing a massive butter (a snowboard butter..I guess in wakeboarding you'd call it a "bluntslide"). But anyway, it just looks crazy. Up until then, I had only seen shaun do that trick on a cordial.

I hope that all made sense. I talk too much...
Old    dyonisus            09-25-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
My favs are Chad Sharpe a fellow CDN boy and Parks Bonifay followed by his bro Shane!