Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey all. I need help! My parents bought me a 2004 Tige` Switch I for Christmas, and it has been the best boat ever. We just got back from Lake Powell last night, and while we were there, we ran into many storms. The boat didn't handle it very good. We filled the bow with atleast 3 feet of water, and it bow washes really bad. My parents have decided to sell the Tige and look at something like a deck boat :-( This boat is my life. And i just need some advise to either help me convince my parents to keep the boat, or... at this point, just something. Thanks bundles
*Danielle
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-25-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
Well, steal the title and hide it, then they can't sell.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-25-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Well if they bought you a boat, wouldn't you think that they should buy themselves their own boat??
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Just talk them in to a deeper hull boat like a Moomba XLV or Supra Launch. Problem solved. Be sure to tell them about quality difference between most I/O's and inboards.
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Tight idea, lol. If we sell the Tige, my dad has promised to get fat sacs and everything to keep my riding sick. I'll bring up the idea of Moomba's and other boarding boats. Thanks
*Danielle
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-25-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Defanitely emphasize how crappy i/o s are look at something with a deeper hull as Jon said. Your riding will suffer if you end up with some deckboat. Sacking out and puting a tower on an I/O is just not a good idea. Good luck!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
You can put sacs in an I/O. Well, you can, but it's just so hard to keep it on plane. Plus, they porpoise so much. You'll be boarding behind a bouncing boat. It sucks!
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
I know this is probably really bad not to know this, but what is an I/O? I know what porpoise means, LoL.
*Danielle
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
I/O's are inboard outboards. Most Deckboats will be I/0's. It is where the engine itself is inside the hull and an outdrive is hanging out the BACK opposed to an inboard that has no outdrive and only a prop shaft and prop UNDER the boat.
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
That makes sence. Thanks. :-) My sister really likes surfing, and she has really gotten good at it, so i think we would need something with the prop under the boat. Other than any big name boardin boats, does anyone have an idea of what good boats would work that have a big wake, a deep bow, and is in inboard (i think that is it, with the prop under the boat...?)
*Danielle
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
The Moomba Mobius XLV is a 23' boat that has a DEEP hull. It is a v-drive (inboard) that holds 16 people and starts at only $36995. I have wakesurfed behind this boat and it was amazing. The wake was at least stomach high on me (I'm 5'10). We had stock ballast and 4 people on my side of the boat. I would suggest at least taking a look at this boat. By far it will be your best bang for the buck.
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
What about the wake as far as skiing? My parents ski, and the wake on the Tige is fairly small. Do you know how it acts with a skiier?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
Well the XLV is a hardcore wakeboard boat. You could drain ballast and put your wakeplate down and get a decent slalom wake, nowhere near tournament quality though. The Supra Launch does both sports very well and has the deep hull like the XLV. You might want to wait to look at Supra's 2005 line up as well. Should be out in a month or so.
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hey, Just wanted to update you all... I have convinced my parents to keep the boat for atleast one more summer. My dad is going to make something that will keep water out of the bow when we are towing it, and i've even convinced him to get a Fat Sac, just for fun. Thanks for all of your help!
*Danielle
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-01-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
x-star...that hull is like 5 ft deep. go for the x-80 if you can afford it. the hull is like 7 ft deep.
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
my friends have an i/o so do i and it sucks but oh well and there wake is bigger than most boarding boats i see at the lake its 2 feet to 2 and a half feet high so not all i/o are bad
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
Carson,

No doubt you can get a nice size wake out of an I/O. But its mostly about the shape, firmness, washiness, etc.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
ditto.......its all about shape and firmness.
Old    leggester            08-02-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
Wow, I'm surprised at much of the bad information here.

Never had a problem keeping my I/O on plane where I want it and at the speed I want.

DD/VD are generally pretty crappy in 4' waves. Or, they are so huge affording gas can be prohibitive.
Old     (drumnwake420)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
Yah don't hate on the i/o's too much!

We switched off riders on a buddy's supra launch last night and my friend was going huge behind my boat.. he complimented the wake on it's nice pop .......... of course now i want to ride on a wake like the supra's for the rest of the year, but the point is, we have plenty of fun behind my I/O and you can go just as huge behind it... it's just a little different!
Old     (33drew)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-03-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
wow matt you are definatly wrong, we used to have a hurricane deckboat with a 140 hp tohatsu outboard, now we have a 98 mc 205 with 310 horses and we get twice the fuel efficiency out of the inboard then the deckboat