Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-10-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Just looking for some tips on changing my fuel filter out. Never done it before. I have the black scorpion 330hp 5.7L. Thanks all!!
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-10-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I need to do it too. I was thinking it's simple as unscrewing the old one and replace it by a fesh one? But i might be wrong.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
yep it's that simple.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-10-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
I thought of that but I figured that was WAY to easy to be right haha. Fyi someone else told me to fill the new fuel filter back up with fuel before you screw it in(I guess so there is less air in the system).
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-10-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
yes unscrew and re fill up

sometimes you might have to feed all the way around muffler
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-11-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Filling it is a possible mess and not needed.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-11-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
http://www.selocmarine.com/seloc_onl...H3=2&H4=5&H5=0
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-12-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yeah, also i think you possibly have to put some oil on the gasket so next time it's is not to hard to remove.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-12-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Yep, alittle oil on the seal.

Ive never had a hard time removing my fuel filter. My oil filter on the other hand is always a total pain in the a**. Anyone else have a hard time removing their oil filter?
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-12-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
I would change your impeller while you fuel filter is out, I always do them both because it seems way easier with the filter out of the way to get to the impellar and all the bolts and stuff to change it out. I never refilled mine, just turn the key to on for a few seconds before hitting start, it will prime just fine.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-12-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
Yes Coop it was a pain getting the oil filter off. I think I was just barely able to get it off with my hands. How often do you guys change the fuel filter??
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-12-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
Just looking for some tips on changing my fuel filter out. Never done it before. I have the black scorpion 330hp 5.7L. Thanks all!!
Don't smoke !
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2010, 11:49 PM Reply   
filling IS NEEDED!!!!

unless you want to burn fuel pumps up

SPARKY

if your going to keep fighting with me, im for it

because ur a auto tech, does not mean you know everything about boats
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
On my last boat I put it on dry cycled the key 2-3 times and it fired up no problems. Sparky and I don't always agree either but I have done it both ways. I prefer not to fill for reason mentioned it can be messy and if it can be done empty. which it can then why take a chance on spilling fuel. If your pump burns up or did burn up it would have went out any way.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-13-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
My marine mechanic said he usually fills them up but not a must so I filled it up half way.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
messy??

fuel evaporates

the fuel cools that fuel pump, it has plastic vanes

ever get gasoline on your skin??

yep feels cold
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-13-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
Probably better safe than sorry. The fuel pump isn't cheap !
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
i fill them up with seafoam and fuel

get a free de-carb

then run her for 15 mins

then i clean plugs, comp check

part of my 100hr service,
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-13-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
The above link was for the R & I of the fuel filter right off Seloc.com but it only takes you to the log in page but it gave no reference to pre fill, never even mentioned it. Large oil and fuel filters, sure pre fill but the smaller ones dont hold hardly anything. Waste of time. Boats are basic compared to my world!
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
ya right

you never worked on a tight ass boat, plus you guys work over-head not under head

now if you worked on cars in the salt belt, i might give you props

SELCO is garbage, and as an ASE tech, thats not too bright

selco is like all-data, i have seen sheet way off!!!

FILL THEM, its not mess with a turkey baster
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-13-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Wont ever waste my time filling a small filter. Anyones information can be off. Obviously even what you've learned from. All Data is fine. A$$ for every seat I guess huh. Isnt there a fishin boat site somewhere missin you?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
ya right

you never worked on a tight ass boat, plus you guys work over-head not under head

now if you worked on cars in the salt belt, i might give you props

SELCO is garbage, and as an ASE tech, thats not too bright

selco is like all-data, i have seen sheet way off!!!

FILL THEM, its not mess with a turkey baster
Yes it could be messy fuel spill on the interior. Not every one on here is mechanically inclined. I thought you posted before you did every thing by the book. Now your saying selco and all-data have been way off before.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
yep

people with tons of $$$$$$

yes by the book

FACTORY MANUALS ONLY

Last edited by justintime; 04-13-2010 at 8:26 PM.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Wont ever waste my time filling a small filter. Anyones information can be off. Obviously even what you've learned from. All Data is fine. A$$ for every seat I guess huh. Isnt there a fishin boat site somewhere missin you?
The members already kicked him off of those forums. That's why he's keeping us company.