Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Hey guys

do you have any tips/tricks on bleeding surge brakes? I noticed the trailer brake fluid was down, way down, basically empty so i filled the resevoir up and now concerned that there may be air in the lines.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Here is a good article on how to bleed your surge brakes.

Reminds me... I need to do it too.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
rather than the screw driver, I remove the hitch / ball assembly from the vehicle receiver, and attach the ball to the trailer. The hitch makes a good lever to actuate the piston.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Agree with steve. I put the ball into the receiver, stuck a rag on the 2x2 end and pumped, hardly any effort.
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
do you guys just lift up and down on the hitch when the ball into the receiver in order to activate the piston?
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
should the trailer also be level to bleed the brakes, we currently have the boat backed into my buddy's driveway that has a slight downward slope
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Jason, I would say not level would be better. This will let gravity help you bleed the brakes by sending the air in the line to one end or the other.

When you stick the hitch in the ball you will get the idea, but yes you push down and the tongue will depress pushing brake fluid through the line.
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
did you guys have to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes or can you access the bleeder valve by going around the tires? do you have to adjust the brakes after bleeding as well, the link in the article mentioned doing that but that might be for newly installed systems. sorry for all the questions, but i'm sitting at work trying to see what kind of time i'll need to do this
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-19-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
I use a Mighty Vac hand held vacuum pump for bleeding brake lines. Just fill the reservoir to the top and pump it down from the bleeder screws at each wheel. Then use the pump to remove excess fluid from reservoir. Other wise you are running back and forth. Disc brakes need no adjustment and drum brakes should self adjust but does not hurt to check. From what I hear AutoZone rents the Mighty Vac if you don’t want to buy. They are like $50 and worth every penny.
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Brandon...thanks for the response...a bleeder vac was gonna be my next question, i have a sort of mighty vac that i picked up from canadian tire that i've used on my street and dirt bikes, quess i will be using mine for this job as well.

which brake should be bled first?