Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       09-11-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Some of you may remember a few months ago when I posted about my shredded ACL caused by the binding being ripped out of the board on a W2W jump. Well, I just had surgery last week, got the hamstring graft, and things are progressing well! I already have 2 to 125 degree range of motion and am looking forward to next year (and maybe some powder if there's any left in Feb).

So, a few nights ago I was nice and lit on pain meds but my knee was still hurting... the swelling was making the stitches feel like they were going to rip through the skin. I contemplated a needle to let the pressure out, but the last thing I wanted was to introduce an infection. Well, massaged it a bit until the incision opened just enough to drain. It did that for about 3 days... the last time I drained it, it actually squirted. Lucky for you, I caught it on video! ;)

Warning, if you're squeemish you might not want to click:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCvxYt4RBE

You don't get the same effect as on the big screen, but still kinda cool. ;)

Cheers!
Josh
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
I hope you've informed your Surgeon of the swelling issue and draining of serousangiunous fluid. Being that it's been a week postop and having dark fluid like that is NOT a good/positive sign. It also appears from the location of that incision, is where they placed a bone screw for the attachment of the ligament.
Blood is a good vector for infection....may I suggest you get in contact with your MD if you haven't already.
Keep icing too.
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       09-11-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
I did tell him about it, and no, there's no screw there. The dark fluid is NORMAL and a result of all the bone he drilled and ground out. He said it was probably just from the walking around I did on it on day 3. The blood in the knee drained down to that little pocket (gravity) and had nowhere to go. All is fine, had my checkup today. I got the stitches out and it hasn't bled for a few days now. He said my knee looks better than most he's seen a month after surgery and it's been 10 days. Thanks for the concern, but the video was more for humorous value than medical advice. ;)
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
my stomach is turning...blood usually doesn't bother me but for some reason, I'm not feeling so good right now...
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       09-11-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Sorry, Jamie... I probably shouldn't tell you what my cat did after I got up, huh? j/k...
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-11-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
haha i enjoyed it, but then i made my mom come look at it and she almost passed out!
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       09-11-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
that was great,i just got done with dinner and it didnt bother me one bit.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
Glad to hear things are going well Josh. Just remember that those last 2 degrees to straight are the hardest to get.

Keep us updated.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Aww man, that was pretty gross.

good luck with the rehab ; Lots of people (me included) are back riding after the ACL reconstruction.

p.s. don't forget to get that hamstring back.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-11-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
I had mine done on the 10th of last month and I had no blood I walked way sooner than I was told. I took the brace of 4 days later. I was doing my own rehab, and did not use crutches half of the fist 10 days and I hung them up on my 10th day after seeing the doctor and he told me that m knee looks great but I want you using crutches I have been to pt for 2 weeks now 3 times a week and the session in the morning will be my 7th time in pt I almost feel like i did not have surgery. other than i can not squat all the way down as far as my good leg. another couple days and i will be there. I went out on the boat this weekend and I felt like I could have wake skated with no probs it is very similar to the balance machines they have me on in pt. yet I have pushed enough I do not want to be plain stupid I did think about riding the air chair. I wish you luck yet that did not look like an of m experience