Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    wakelvr            11-26-2003, 12:18 AM Reply   
Got a chance to demo a NEW 2004 X-Star the other day... Here is a video of our day!
Thanks to Tony, Sean and Ja for a great day!

HouseOfPayne Production Presents... FADE TO BLACK
http://www.wakepics.com/media.php?newest=true&time=1069834568&limit=10

Hope you enjoy!!!
Old    wakeboard_dad            11-26-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
Very Nice. Thanks for posting!
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-26-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
gotta love the X-Stars wake!! our friend just bought one a couple weeks ago and its 'magic'.

good job on the video, looks like u had a lot of fun, are you gonna end up purchasing the boat???
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-26-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nice vid Stefani! To bad you had to ride in those conditions. It must have been tough!

I haven't ridden behind one yet, but your wake looks better!!! What did you think?
Old    travisellis            11-26-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
angi how many speedin tickets have u got with the hog "the bike" ?
Old    jetgofish            11-26-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
Stefani,

Sean IM'd me told me the video was up, I pinged him back and gave him SH*T about how uncool that was! Just uncool while I sit here at work at 8:39am watching that sick vid drooling at the fact that I want to go out and ride and when I left this morning it was butta!!!!! I'm sorry I missed that ride with you guys! Nice shooting on the vid and can't wait to ride with ya. What about a set tomorrow on T-day, we all have to do something while that fatty bird roasts!?
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-26-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
Stef - Nice vid and, of course, you know I love the music. But I have a question for you..

Since when does footage behind an XStar take priority over "Hairy Males"?? Oh wait! Did we ride behind a MALIBU that day??
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-26-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
Nice Video Stefani. Like the muzak too.

How does the wake compare to the X2?

To me, from the video, it looks a lot more rampy than the X2.
Old    wakelvr            11-26-2003, 9:45 AM Reply   
Christie: Oh man, I knew that was coming! Actually, you, me, Ja and Trace were in my boat that day so NICE TRY! Okay, you know I am behind like 6 videos. Hairy Males is next... and truthfully, I have already started it;-) I just had to get this one out because Sean has a big decision to make in the next day or so;-)

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm not the one looking to buy the star because I already have one, sort of! But for those of you who asked what I think... It's a sweet boat. The wake is solid and big. The boat is comfortable and down right sexy looking on the water.

Blabel: When you come in the spring, you have to try it:-) You too will think it's sexy!
Old    wakelvr            11-26-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Dane: You are right, it does look rampy. To tell you the truth, I had my reservations about it until we tested it out. The wake still bucks you like an X2, but it also has a longer transition which will also send you out and not just up. But because the Star is such a wide beam, you can still land in the transition rather than the flats.

If you ever have the opp to try one out, go for it:-) That's the only way you'll ever know;-)

Old    wakelvr            11-26-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
Teri: I can't on Turkey day unfortunately. Hey, I watched your riding (via video) from last weekend behind Sean's X10. Nice riding!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-26-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
The wake is long & gradual & really hard with a lip at the end, according to my son. Once you get used to it, it's great. Wait for the pop. He went behind it in Irvine fairly loaded.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-26-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
aha! a power-turner caught on tape! ;) nice vid stef.
Old    jetgofish            11-26-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Stef: My riding on Saturday was weak... I need to check out Sean's tape. I've been sick with a cold for a month now and I was so winded after that run! Hopefully this weekend will be better! Have a Happy Turkey Day all!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-26-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Stefani. Great vid and that boat looks killer. It was nice to see it up close and moving on the water. Looks like it handles great for a large barge. The wake also looks very clean and has a huge section free of washout as compared to other boats.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Very nice job on the video, Stefani, and nice riding from all. Especially glad to see Jason is on the mend! Looking forward to catching up with you all in the coming weeks.
Peace,
J
Old    aircanada            11-28-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
Thanks Stefani and Jason for a great day on the water and also for putting the video together. It makes the decision that much harder :P

Here's my review after spending a couple hours in the new X-Star.. It's a little long as I tried to cover everything.

Most people’s reservations on boats seem to be directed towards the wake.. Of course, this is one of the most important factors when considering a wakeboard boat and a lot of hype has gone into the new X-Star. I Personally, however, would never buy a boat just for the wake.

I love the wake on the new X-Star. Fortunately, the boat we tested had about 15 hours on it so we were able to test it with some extra weight. We had it weighted with 4 riders, stock KGB ballast, a 600 lb. sac in the bow and two 300’s on each side of the engine. The wake was very clean all the way back and had very little side spray or rooster tail. Perfect for filming and a clear view of the rider at all times. My subjective opinion found the wake to be a little rampier than the old X-Star (current X-2) but with a nice peek that provided plenty of pop. The wake appeared rampier than it felt.

The first thing I noticed about the boat was that it never porpoised while fully weighted. We filled the sacs and the KGB at the docks and were able to easily cruise out to our riding spot at 45 mph. Weighted, the boat felt a little heavy, but never drove like a pig….. The steering seemed somewhat heavier compared to other Mastercraft’s I have driven and I wonder if this contributed to the “heavy” feeling of the boat or if the heavy steering was a result of the size of the boat.

With the three tracking fins underneath, the boat tracked very well. I could pop a quick 30 to 40 degree turn with a couple quick flicks of the wheel and send people out of their seats. It felt like the boat was on rails. For the tubers out there, the boat power turns very well. We had some fun out in old river and spun a couple donuts on the way back to the docks.

Pulling a rider the boat got up onto plane quickly. The effects of a rider behind the boat are barely noticeable and there was no side to side pulling effect when a rider would cut out hard. Driving without perfect pass (oops), it was easy to maintain speed. When turning around to pick up the rider I would kill the throttle and go to an idle, no water came rushing up and over the sunpad. The boat also spun on a dime when idling making it easy to keep it in the path of your rider.

The X-Star handled both rough water (what little the Delta offered us that day) and other boats wakes with ease. I was surprised at how little I felt within the boat when crossing the good sized wake of another boat, it sliced through smoothly like butter. No jarring bounces or thuds, everything kept quiet with very little squeaks or rattles. The boat felt solid! A couple of times I tried to purposely take water over the bow and was unable to.

I have always liked the styling of the new X-Star and find it even more appealing in person then in photos. You know just by looking at it that some serious thought went into the design of the boat and that this boat means business. I find it has a very sporty look to it. It constantly received looks the entire time we were out. Starting with the bow, it is absolutely huge. 5 people can easily fit up there sitting in comfort, 2 when fully stretched out. With the bow filler cushion you could almost make a nice sized bed. The built in cooler up front drains nicely into the bilge. A folding ladder is available making the bow just as usable as the stern when hanging out on the water.

The center walkway has a nice two piece wind blocker that folds easily to the side, a big improvement over the typical cloth one that snaps in place and is a pain in the arse to keep taking on and off. I have always liked the solid plastic wind blocker in the Malibu’s but hated having to climb over it. The foldable design offers the same solid wind block with much easier passage. The folding front window now has a stainless steel latch to hold the window open which is much more solid and easier to use that the cloth strap. There is also no need to worry about the snaps on the strap scratching or marking the gelcoat when you forget to snap it back down while the window is closed.

As with the bow, the cabin is absolutely huge… so is the glove box. The seats are a little higher/deeper than typical, which I found makes for a more comfortable seating experience. The bench wraps all the way around the interior and back around behind the driver’s seat. The cockpit is nicely laid out and comfortable to use. Rising above the dash is the X-pod containing the speedometer, tachometer and perfect pass controls. The ballast tanks each have gauges allowing you to see roughly how full each tank is. I have two complaints about the dash. First is the carbon fiber trim. Don’t you just love how sporty fake carbon fiber trim makes things look! Everything from Civic’s to X-Star’s. Personally I would much rather see a sharp looking black graphite colored trim in place of the carbon fiber. Second is that the gauges are only available in yellow. The yellow looks good, but I would like to see an option for white gauges with black lettering.

Storage is amazing, partially due to the size of the boat. It easily passed the crippled wakeboarder crutch test (Jason’s crutches fit in all the compartments). The two bow side seats are hinged and fold up and back giving easy access to the storage below. There is an enormous carven behind the observers seat with plenty of room for a surfboard and a couple more wakeboards. It is actually possible (and easy) to crawl through the observers seat, under the glove box/windshield and out the front. The raised bench seats in the cabin also offer much deeper storage than typical.

With the KGB tanks built into the hull, you have full use of the rear storage compartments on either side of the engine. The compartments were deep and often referred to as changing rooms. One thing I would like to see is 12 volt lighter sockets inside each storage compartment. The only two sockets available are up front on the dash and inside the glove box making it a stretch when filling/draining fat sacs. With the dual batteries under one of the port passenger seats, it would be easy for an owner to wire this up themselves. The carpet in the X-Star is removable and held in place with snaps making it easy to remove and clean or if necessary replace.

Board racks have been re-designed for the 2004 models and are a big improvement over the short lived 2003 style racks. Two levers clamp the boards in place. There was also no problem with the rope getting caught in the racks while circling around to pick up the rider as has happened with the 2003 racks. Additionally, the position of the board racks makes it very easy to get your boards into and out of the racks. For those who need additional racks, I am told additional board racks are available through Mastercraft that fit onto the top of the tower. I’m not sure how easy or practical this is, especially with the bimini unfolded. I don’t foresee storage to be a problem in this boat, there is plenty of room in various storage compartments for extra boards.

I think the new X-Star isn't just about the wake.. You have to consider the entire package when purchasing. It's a really well rounded boat that delivers on all accounts..
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-29-2003, 1:50 AM Reply   
wow sean. excellent review! very informative and very thorough.
Old    norcal_99            11-29-2003, 7:08 PM Reply   
Hey Sean, Nice review. Are you selling your X-10 or trading it in? Also, I've been thinking about upgrading my X-Star to the `04. What are they quoting you out the door?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-29-2003, 11:36 PM Reply   
So when do I get a pull?
Old    aircanada            12-01-2003, 2:44 AM Reply   
Christopher,
Thanks. It's been a while since I've written like that, especially me being the lurker that I am.

Rene,
This time of year I'm not going to get what I want for the X-10 so will be selling it privately, The 10 is pretty much paid for so I am able to sit on it for a bit.

I am currently negotiating the price of the boat. Not going to discus numbers publicly, but feel free to give me a call on my cell and we can talk ;) 925-997-2941

Peter,
As soon as I have the boat tied up behind my house. ;)

Old    jetgofish            12-01-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Peter, will of course be standing in line right behind me!!!