Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-29-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
Was wondering if anyone has spent anytime riding behind a mastercraft x-7, and what the wake is like. The boat is too far a drive to test, thou if I hear that it has a great wake I would make the effort to check it out and try to buy it.
Thanks.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            07-30-2005, 12:23 AM Reply   
I have an 04' x-7. And I consider myself very lucky. Its a really nice shaped wake and well- tuned. If you though want a little bigger of wake just weigh it down a bit more and I am sure you will be pleased with the result.

The performance of the boat is unlike its predeccessors... aka the x-star. The boat is quick and responsive in the water. Its quick to plane and has the power to get up and go...

Finally, the family enjoys the boat because its not solely a wakeboard boat either. We love to solo ski behind it cause at speed it virtually has no wake. And the service from out Mastercraft dealer has been very impressive. If you are in California check out Ski World USA. There located in Pleasanton (boat dealer) and Castro Valley (ski & board shop)... and thats coming from someone who hase owned several high-end luxury cars and what not.

Overall: Good choice!
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-30-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
One my friends had an 04 x7. As Jeff said, the boat is more responsive the x2 (old xstar) and the wake is nice, once you add weight. You will sacrifice the room in your boat adding the weight. Overall, all x series and most mastercrafts will throw a great wake depending on how you weight them. I had a ps197 and now an x2. My wake now might be a little bigger but a whole lot more room. Overall, great boat, especially if you ski too.
Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-30-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks,
We don't really ski much anymore. The boat has a factory ballast set up I think. So I will still need to add alot more weight in order to get a good wake? I'm concerned that if it is also a great ski boat, that the wake will be too mellow.
Is it rampy or mellow?
thanks again.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            07-30-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
With the factory ballast the wake is rampy. I usually fill the ballast and just throw an extra fat sac in the back for good measure if there are less than 5 people on the boat. With more than five people, I just run with the factory ballast.

Just because it is awesome ski boat at higher speed doesn't mean it's not a great wakeboard boat at lower speeds. I typically wakeboard around 26 mph and sometimes faster... but thats only because I learned to wakeboard behind a jet boat when I was younger (went close to 32 mph). The wake from around 20 to 23 mph is rampy and can be fine tuned experimenting with rope length and speed of course all depending on water conditions of course.
Old    robertt            07-30-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
I have an X7 and LOVE IT. But, if you don't ski or do any other water sports besides wakeboard don't buy one. Its a VERY versatile boat, on any given day we can start at 6:00AM barefooting, then slalom, then airchair, then wakeboard, then drink until we are drunk. For that purpose, my boat is flawless.

In addition, my lake only allows USA Waterski approved boats, so the X7 is the best boat that is allowed on the lake.

The wake is shaped nice, but nothing like an Xstar. Dont let anyone tell you different.

If you have a ton of weight in it, you might also get a little wet in front.

Like I said, I LOVE my boat and because we do many different things wouldn't want anything different, but there is no such thing as a jack of all trades and master of all.

Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-30-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
dimitri, to clarify factory ballast. If the new x7's are the same as the 04's, their interpretation of factory ballast is a prewired pump with a toggle switch on the dash. There are two hose connections under the rear seat where you would hook up the fat sack that comes with boat. If you ask me, it's kind cheesy but it works and its nice to have the pump prewired. That is what i meant when i said you will sacrifice room. You'll need at least that fat sack and probably more for a decent wake. We used waterbed bags on that particular boat and we could move them around as needed. they worked great but a pain in the but to fill all of the time. Good Luck.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
Robert,

Best allowed on the lake.....You've never been behind mine.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       07-30-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
as someone who has been behind all the x series boats on the mastercraft line, i would have to say that the X-7 is in fact the smallest wake of them all, which if your looking for that, a very responsive boat, and a great ski boat, then your in for a great boat.

First off, the boat is a direct drive, but even a direct drive can produce a pretty decent wake if weighted down heavily.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, the boat was made by mastercraft to be their premiere water ski boat, but they added a tower and graphics, to make it look wakeboarder friendly, and also provide some wake capabilities. Also, the internal ballast is no where near what is needed for a "good" wake, but definetely rideable.

Finally, the amount of storage apace in the boat is minimal compared to the other boats in the wakeseries. IE the v-drives. If you plan on wakeboarding most of the time, i would recomend going with an X-2, or possibly and x-10. But between those two, the X2 is the more wakeboard specific boat, while the latter has a more ski/wake verstile hull..

Hope this has helped...
Old    robertt            07-31-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Tim...lets fix that:-)

I actually meant that the size and type (direct drive) is as good as it gets.....

We really need to get together and ride soon.
Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-01-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
thanks for all the good input.Think I'll keep looking.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            08-01-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
yeah, thanks for disregarding my comment....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
Jeff ~ If Dimitri is looking for a wake boat...X-7 is not it.Sorry dude.
Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-02-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
didn't mean to hurt any feelings. I'm sure it is a great boat. We just really don't ski anymore.
Thanks again.