Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakebum101)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey everyone,

I have looked around for a new wakesurf board a bit and have heard a little about the Walker Project boards. I don't know much about them and was wondering what boards are good and what would work best for wakesurfing. I am surfing behind a Centurion Enzo and the weight ranges of riders will vary from 150 to 200 lbs. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old     (sacnvr2l8)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
Probably not your top choice if you are a beginner...Great boards otherwise...a bit more fragile then your mass produced boards.
Old    surfdad            04-21-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I partially agree with Scott - not bashing you 'bro but I think that there are a few shops out there that folks don't fully understand if they come from a wakeboarding background. On this topic I need to do a HUGE caveat. I consider Mike a friend, I've known him for ages, from before he got married and I'm looking forward to the announcement of his first child any day here!

James has been a team rider (which means we got a $50 discount per board purchased) for Mike and I probably have the largest collection of TWP's short of a rep. Mike contributes generously to virtually all of the contests that I am involved with in any capacity.

Mike is primarily a custom shop. He has two stock sizes - the Composite X line, but the rest, such as: UFO, F18, Bullet, etc are custom. This as opposed to someone like say Shred Stixx which has MOSTLY stock shapes but can make a custom order for folks, too. The majority of folks are accustomed to stock shapes only, like when buying a wakeboard.

I think the stock shapes that Mike offers are probably plenty sturdy for most applications.

For shops like Props, ASC, TWP, etc...they truly shine when it comes to a custom order. This is where I am partially in agreement with Scott. Custom orders really require that you know what you want and that isn't the area for beginners. All of those shapers are willing to work with you and make recommendations, but the more familiar you are with what you like, the better suited to you the final product will be.

The fragile question is easily addressed in a custom order - have several layers of carbon and kevlar and it'll be virtually bullet proof. Or you could ask for the board to be glassed light for contest purposes and you can break it! :-)

IMO the stock shapes are good boards, the 4.5 is probably a better performer for most folks below 180 and the 5.0 is a good board for folks above that - or newb's wanting some stability.

James on an older TWP Bullet, PuPe, 4 x 4/4, Futures boxes.

Upload
Old     (sacnvr2l8)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
I do not own a shop and am not affiliated with anyone but myself, I own a walker, IS, LF and HL boards...Jeff I assume your comments were not directed at me but simply making a statement about some shops lack of knowledge which is true. All that said this is my opinion take it for what its worth if you are just learning to surf (in your 1st year) I would get a MASS produced board (used or cheap) learn what you're doing and that you want to invest in a board. Find someone with a decent quiver and demo skim/ surf and if possible some different shapes and sizes. Then buy the size shape and style you want in a custom board...As for my durability comment let me restate as it may have been misleading. I think if you take care of your things you're fine with any board but when hit drop ect... some boards dent ding damage easier than others. Those boards are the ones with thin hand done fiberglass as opposed to some of those wakeboard style construction. As Jeff said if you are spending the money on the custom board from the shaper of your choice all will be happy to adress how thick or strong you want the board that is why they are custom. No shot was meant at durability of walker or anyone else just trying to inform...
Old     (wakebum101)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys, but I think that what I said may have been misinterpreted. I am really just looking to find out which one of the boards that they make (I think they make a number of them) would be good for me, or really what boards are good for what kind of riding and such. If you could address this that would be great. Thanks!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-22-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Hey Devin,
What skill level are you and others who will ride the board? The Composite X line comes in 2 models the 4.5 is a cross between a surfstyle board and a skim style board. It is good for riders below 180 or so. Better riders on good wakes approaching 200 can ride it. The 5.0 model is good from 160 to 250. Again better riders on good wakes 275. The rest of the wakesurf line are custom boards that can be sized to fit the rider anywhere from 4' to 6' in length.
( disclosure) I am a sales rep for The Walker Project.
Old     (micah)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Devin,
Just call up Mike Walker at The Walker Project. He's a very nice guy and would gladly take the time to answer any questions you have about which board might work best for you. That's what I did, and after some discussion we both came to the conclusion on what board would work best for me. [IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg111/micahjjackson/stereo001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg111/micahjjackson/stereo004.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-23-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Micahj,

That is sweet looking board. So which model is it and what size? I have been looking at Walker boards for some time and have been leaning toward the F-18. They are pretty steep in price and don't know if I can justify the cost between a custom and composite board.
Old     (micah)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-24-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Brannon,
Thanks, it's an F-18 4'10". I also have a CWB Tsunami and I prefer the Walker. The reason I went with an F-18 is because I just started last year and most of the people we take out are just learning or trying it for the first time so it seemed like a good overall board for everyone. I'm sure as this summer passes I will be wanting a Bullet but for right now the F-18 is a great board for my skill level.
Old    surfdad            04-24-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
That is a sweet looking board. Before you put the F18 out to pasture, hit me up. I can share a few easy mods that might get you another season out of it.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
What skill level is the Composite X 5.0 from Walker? And style?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Hey Blair,
The Composite X 5.0 would be a surf style board. I think it is a good board for all levels, except maybe very advanced. I can do 360's on this board which at 57 years old and 275 lbs is a testament to the board. Disclaimer I am a sales rep for The Walker Project.