Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-11-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
I'm 6'3" 195lbs and have had a hard time finding a life jacket that fits me right because I have a long torso. I tend to have the same problem with shirts. I end up being between a L and a XL. Most large life jackets are a little snug and too short and most XL are a little big.

I have the new black and red Ronix One jacket in a L and it's ok, fits a little snug but feels a little short. I feel like I'm always pulling it down. Last year I bought a XL Helium Swat jacket and it is long enough but a little big and will rub my under arms while floating in the water.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a jacket that is a little longer than normal?
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-11-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
If you are considering the comp vests as well the longest one I know of is the O'Neill Gooru jacket. It has a neoprene "skirt" on the bottom that usually reaches down to the boardshorts.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-11-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
You must have seen my riding to suggest I wear a skirt! JK. I'm ok with a comp vest I guess although I've never had one. Are you familiar with the sizing of this vest? I'm guessing I'd rather have it a little bigger than be too small. I had to help squeeze a friend into a comp vest that was a tad too small and it was not cool...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-11-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
It will definitely stretch, but mine did not get loose until I had it for two full summers and that was with a few others forgetting a vest and stretching mine out. They pretty much stretch to the next size up after a while.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
I just scooped an xl checkmate for 100 bucks.
I'm 6 1 and I love it. Fits
Perfect
Old     (H20Rat)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-01-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
You must have seen my riding to suggest I wear a skirt! JK. I'm ok with a comp vest I guess although I've never had one. Are you familiar with the sizing of this vest? I'm guessing I'd rather have it a little bigger than be too small. I had to help squeeze a friend into a comp vest that was a tad too small and it was not cool...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Which jacket did you end up getting? Oneill Revenge, Gooru, or other? I am 6'4" 240 and need to find a jacket that is long enough...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-01-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
I bought a Phalanx vest because of this as well. They are cut longer and I am almost 6'2". It comes down past my cinch on my board shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish View Post
If you are considering the comp vests as well the longest one I know of is the O'Neill Gooru jacket. It has a neoprene "skirt" on the bottom that usually reaches down to the boardshorts.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
I am 6'1 and I love the checkmate. I think anything oniell will suit a longer torso
Old     (lanzo)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-11-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'm 6'5". 180lbs. Best vest by far for tall dudes is Oniell Revenge USCG. Sliced foam, coast guard approved, and built in lumbar.

It goes all the way down to my waist and doesn't slide up.

Cost about $150, but totally worth it. Actually feels like a comp vest.

I use Large. They seem to run a bit big.

Good luck!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-12-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzo View Post
I'm 6'5". 180lbs. Best vest by far for tall dudes is Oniell Revenge USCG. Sliced foam, coast guard approved, and built in lumbar.

It goes all the way down to my waist and doesn't slide up.

Cost about $150, but totally worth it. Actually feels like a comp vest.

I use Large. They seem to run a bit big.

Good luck!
The Revenge is an awesome vest! I just bought one and love it; however, it does feel kind of short on me but that is probably because I am so used to the Gooru.

If you are looking for the best combo of flotation/length, I'd recommend the Revenge as well. Especially if the marine police are strict about uscga vests in your area.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-11-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
Go with the Gooru, you'll love it!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-01-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
I'll third or fourth the Revenge! Really nice! I'm 6'1 220 and went with a large. It's alittle tight be feels really good and is stretching out nicely.
Old     (TarahMik)      Join Date: May 2010       10-01-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
The Ten80 vests fit long. A lot of them have drawstrings that go up the side or up the back so you can cinch it down to fit better too. If you end up getting one from ten-80.com you can get 10% off if you type in TARAH for the promo code.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-01-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Rat View Post
Which jacket did you end up getting? Oneill Revenge, Gooru, or other? I am 6'4" 240 and need to find a jacket that is long enough...
I ended up getting the 2012 Ronix One CGA vest and really like it. It could stand to be a little longer but it's not bad and really comfortable.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       10-01-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
Have you guys ever checked out the LF Watson? I have one and it runs long, for sure.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
I have the chris o shea jet pilot vest and it runs pretty long. Im 6'1 195 and my torso is so long i need to wear xl tall or xxl to not show midriff
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-03-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschall View Post
I have the chris o shea jet pilot vest and it runs pretty long. Im 6'1 195 and my torso is so long i need to wear xl tall or xxl to not show midriff
What size did you get?
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-03-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
I got the XL. I fell right in between sizes so I got the bigger one.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-03-2012, 9:56 PM Reply   
Checkmate or gooru