Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-13-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
I just got done watching 'Blacklist' again and had a thought. I dont nessesarily think this way, but does Thomas get alot of crap for not wearing a vest most of the time? I figure people would be on him for the whole 'role model' thing. Just curious.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-13-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
I hardly see any pro's now a days in vids wearing vest. It's a shame because it does probably have an effect on the younger watcher's.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       01-13-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
I wasn't happy at all when Thomas rode a wakeskate for my kids at my LF Demo Day without a vest on in our 200' deep lake.I kept waiting for him to put it on as all the parents were watching on the dock, fortunately the Marine Police were not around.I think sometimes they forget they are role models!
Old    lachlantait            01-14-2004, 3:26 AM Reply   
if they dont want to wear one then fair enough, but if anyone comes out with us, its wear a vest or dont ride and i will always wear one, the only time i didnt was because i forgot and it was so much harder trying to keep afloat, went straight back and put it on
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Get on Thomas for...anything?

Nah, you would just get the clan of overly-dedicated followers on your case.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff he does is awesome, I am just always amazed at the level of idolization he seems to be getting.

I guess it will take another tragic drowning for the current vest trend to reverse.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-14-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Yeah I just saw Gravity Sucks 2 and I was amazed at how few wore vest. Even a ncga is way better than nothing.
Old    tattoobling            01-14-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Yea, Fredrik - how quickly memories fade.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-14-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
That would be a huge event if it really happened to pro skater or even a well known amatuer.
Someone who rides daily and is a great swimmer, etc.
In reality, the only way I see it happening is being KO'd from a board to the head, rail bust or on a big wake to wake trick gone ugly. Not as dangerous when just riding and doing lip tricks IMO.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
wakeguru I disagree. "Accidents" can happen at anytime - doing inverts, going wake to wake or hitting sliders. There's no good time NOT to wear a vest - a double negative - which means every time is a good time to wear a vest. Who knows when you might experience a "freak accident" and need bouyancy to stay afloat? Wakeboarding is not worth drowning.
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-14-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
wait... did someone drown before?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Cory Kraut..R.I.P.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-14-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
I was speaking of wakeskating, but true it's not worth drowning and you're right "accidents" can happen at any time. However, when you have been in and around the water for so many years on a board you kind of lose the fear unless you have been in a situation where you have almost been knocked unconscious. I have not been in one of those situations in many years of wakeboarding, wakeskating, barefooting, and surfing so it can seem very unlikely to someone like me.
I don't condone not wearing a vest, I was just presenting a perspective from the other side.
I actually agree that these guys should be more concerned with how they represent the sport to the younger riders who are easily influenced by their actions.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-14-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
So what's worse, a pro rider not wearing a vest, or a pro rider wearing a flak jacket that promotes a false sense of security? A number of years ago tara hamiltom was learing scarecrows and she knocked herself out. I guess she was found a foot below the surface with her board still attached. I personally have always worn a jacket. Realistically, the best jacket is a coast guard approved jacket, otherwise you're still playing russian roulette (sorry for the cliche).

I got into wakeboarding when I was 15 and I never questioned whether or not I should wear one. And since there are concerned parents on here, I'd assume that you're involved with wakeboarding with your child. Ultimately, your word will go a long way. If your child wants to go without a vest, just state it plain and simple that if they don't wear a vest, the don't ride and that's that. Then once you say that, lead by example. Don't depend on thomas or shane to teach children about flotation devices. If all else fails, teach them about cory and show what could happen without a vest. It's a personal choice and it's not our job to judge an adult and tell them what to do.

As for thomas and his hero worship status, I think that some people out there really "get" wakeskating and can appreciate what he's done to advance the art. He's a major pioneer of it all, making some of the first decent wakeskates to ride on (size appropriate, unlimited foot positions, etc) and then pushed ahead with some of the first concaves (or if you want to be picky, the first GOOD and TRUE concave) and now the 4trac. Wakeskating would not be where it is if it weren't for Thomas. Plus, he was a damn good wakeboarder too.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I know what you are saying as far as Thomas and the sport and all. Not denying any of it. I just find it amusing that people are always so passionate about showing their support for him, no matter what the issue.

(Unrelated, I _personally_ think he has the best style of the pro skaters, but that others are more entertaining to watch in videos because of more frequent w2w tricks.)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-14-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
Gotcha. Yeah, I would consider myself to be one of those people....

Yeah, thomas is really smooth, like he was meant to wakeskate or something. Yes, even smoother than scott. I actually think scott looks better on a wakeboard, but that's just me--I'd still watch him wakeskate. In my opinion, drew mcguckin has a great wake to wake style because he has seriously been going big wake to wake since "my house." Brian Grubb is pretty good wake to wake also, and is probably more techinical than drew in that respect. blah blah blah on my behalf, but it was good to hear your side of the story.
Old    wsrideer            01-14-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
i used to think wearing a life jacket was over rated and how it would be impossible to possible drown. Last summer i was riding and caught my toe edge pulling a raly down and passed out in the water, good thing i was wearing a life jacket cause i am pretty sure it saved my life. After that i wont let anyone ride with me unless they have a jacket.

check out the video of it http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9787
Old    blind5            01-14-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
When was the last time you took a look at Thomas? Role Model dossen't exactly come to mind when I see him in a mag, or video.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-14-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
poolzy, i like how the announcer was saying "he's fine folks - just getting his breath back," as your HEAD WAS UNDER WATER!! sheesh.
Old    wsrideer            01-15-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
yea that was intense haha
Old    upupnaway            01-15-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
Awesome vid poolzy!

If Horrell does not want to wear a vest, so be it. I personally want to live if I get knocked out on the water, so for myself and others on my boat, there is no argument. Vests are mandantory.
Old    wsrideer            01-16-2004, 12:04 AM Reply   
i agree dude people take it for granted but they gotta relize how serious it could be
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-16-2004, 12:08 AM Reply   
Ill second the cory kraut... hey i have a cordell hat and its getting pretty old anyone know where i can get some Corey kraut gear thanks