Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-08-2003, 7:57 PM Reply   
The picture on my Wakeboarding Magazine December 2003 page looks odd to me. On the surface, it's a picture of Gregg Necrason sliding the bottom of an upsidedown rowboat. Yes, I see the wake from the jet ski, but there seem to be inconsistencies:
1. The rope is slack.
2. His knees seem oddly straight for being on a slider.
3. Instead of counter-balancing himself with his free hand, he has it pulled into his body.
4. There is very little in the way of residual flying water.

Thus, based on what I see in most other pictures of people hitting sliders, this pictures appears somewhat(do I dare say it?) posed. Other than the silhouette of his hair and the wake of the jet ski, nothing in this picture really suggests movement to me.

What do you think?
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-08-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
Can you post the pic?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-08-2003, 9:31 PM Reply   
first post a pic if you are gonna talk about it

second, who really cares if it IS posed?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-09-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
I highly doubt Greg would pose for picture like that.
Old    draino            12-09-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
Alex, I think you should forget about it and get a Sidewayz Calendar.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-09-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
I wonder why I haven't rec'd my December WBM yet?
Old    tattoobling            12-09-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
post the pic, dammit!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-09-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think I wont be seeing it because I canceled my subscription due to the lameness of the magazine in the past year.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-09-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
wasn't this discussed before here? i thought that was part of an ad and someone said it was posed.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-09-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
I don't have the means of scanning my calendar in order to post the picture I am talking about. I searched the web and this is the best I could do. It's the picture in the bottom right hand corner. I guess I'm the only goof who actually buys the WBM calendar!

WBM2003Calendar
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-09-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
That photo looks a hell of a lot like a Josh Letchworth photo...

While I wasn't at the photo shoot, I know Josh's reputation (and Gregg's) to say for sure that the shot wasn't staged.

Photographers who care about their craft don't stage photos... they don't alter photos or manipulate the truth. I've seen other photos in the series of the photo in the calendar, as well as video clips from the session where that photo originated.

BTW, that's the 2003 calendar, not the new 2004 calendar that is shipping very shortly.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-10-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
It is a Letchworth photo (good eye!). Alex, I have the calendar too!
Old    duane            12-10-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, Definitly not staged, Here is a link to a picture from the same shoot.
http://www.sidewayz.com/pictures/imagegallery.php?gallery=letchworth&imagepoint=9

Also if you've seen Natural Born Thrillaz you'll see the footage.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
Well there you go. Leave it to the Sidewayz research team to get to the heart of the matter!

I never really thought the photograph was posed, but the inconsistantcies I described (loose rope, unusually straight knees, free hand not extended for balance but pulled into his body and no flying water) are all accurate observations.

Maybe Letchworth caputuring all of these simultaneous anomalies on film actually makes this an incredibly exceptional picture!

Thanks for admitting you bought the calendar too Lucky Charms. <s>
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-10-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Alex, sorry I didn't buy the calendar :-) It was a gift. But I would buy it again. We're not too picky up here - it's extremely rare to see a wakeboarding calendar, so you gotta grab whatever you can!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
Oh well. After only a brief reprieve, I am back to being the only goof who actually buys WBM calendars. It figures. <s> Thanks any way Charms.
Old    jlm            12-11-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
looking at it on my cube wall it is a Letchworth photo. It appears to be just at that moment when there could be slack in the rope. Note the wake that would be consistent with (distance) the tow boat or PWC...I think it is an actual action photo. (but then what do I really care)}
Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-12-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
I have not received a WBM in at least 2 1/2 months. Called and my subscription is good. Anybody else having problems like this?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-12-2003, 7:24 AM Reply   
Yes! I've had the worst problems with this mag! I've been a subscriber for about 6 years and I haven't received one since the Wakeboarding Unleashed cover. And I didn't receive the couple of issues before that one. I contacted them and they said that they fixed the problem but obviously not.

Do you have a phone number for them?

Thanks
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-15-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
You know I was just watching Beg Borrow and Steal yesterday. I'm not sure who's wakeskating, it's been a long day, but if you could capture one shot with a camera it would have had all the inconsistencies you described. The rider hits the ramp part of the slide and does a suicide rail. It's crazy what these guys can do.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-16-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
I own it too, but can't remember whether I got it as a gift or bought it!!!

I too thought the pic looked a little odd. This must be a jersey thing Alex We look at life a little different here on the right coast!

KG