Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-21-2005, 12:23 AM Reply   
So I just answered the, "How many days been out this season" post, and it got me thinking. That's a ton of gas (my answer was 140ish).

Point being, it got me thinking: How does everyone fill the Tank? How do you afford Gas? What do for a "living," to fill that $100+ gas tank every time you ride. On top of that gear is crazy expensive boards, boot, the Boat!!! I wanna know!

Me Personally, I bartend at night. Works out great for boarding, I get Glass, calm, buttery water all day, while the rest of the boarding world works. I work a swing shift form 5pm to 2 am. One the water all day from 10am to 4 pm. Eventually I will get a "real job." Of course other people help out with gas when they come ride, so it’s not like I pay for all the gas all the time. Plus I have some great sponsors that take good care of me, thanks guys!

So the Question is: "How do you fill the tank?" Even if the answer is Moms and Pops, I wanna know. What do you do?
Old    260searay            10-21-2005, 2:54 AM Reply   
I am lucky and still live at home........at leat untill spring. I went through about $900 this season. Most of the time i just fill up and charge at the boat club i am docked at. I just payed my bill once a month.
Old    wakelurker            10-21-2005, 3:57 AM Reply   
well.... if I had a boat(which I am hoping I will someday in the near future procure since I now have something with which to pull it)

Who Cares? You really can't put a price on a kicka$$ time at the lake...

However, my first time on a boat wakeboarding, I committed the ultimate faux pas (sp?).... I had no idea I was supposed to throw in on gas....and for that....mossy, I am sorry. Forgive me... Next time, If ever... I shall. Honestly, I just didn't know! Where I am from, no one ever expects such...oh well, like they say on TV... different strokes...whatever....

I don't know what it is w/ me and ellipses lately....but get used to them......yeah..........here they are............dig it! and I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.........Ride, Rock and RoLL!

PS- Swass, you'll be glad to know I have now set my profile to spell check....grammar... I am gonna try... but for me, this message board is the antithesis of work.... it is where I can chill and type in all lower case if I feel so inclined...., and I can write in mad run on sentences if I wish...that's right.. sentences!

Wow......... I need to crash.... It's just not gonna happen though-- Call me Jack! ; therefore, pardon anymore random, intoxicated posts!!! Ride, Rock and Roll!

Old    walt            10-21-2005, 4:59 AM Reply   
My average was about 150.00 every weekend.

50.00 for the truck and a 100.00 for the boat.

The truck gas was always the same but sometimes it would be more for the boat.

Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-21-2005, 5:25 AM Reply   
victoria, if swass, or anyone for that matter wanted to point out your grammar shortcommings, ellipses only have three or four "dots" depending on whether you're ending a thought or just pausing one. Sounds like there was a lot of pausing going on in between shots last night ;)

I fill the boat in 5 gallon tanks, typically three, before I go out. I have 6 tanks that I sort of rotate through. I also sprang for the "gas buddy" which has paid for itself. I sit the tank on the dock put the hose in the boat and walk away to grab a board or beer or something. When I get back, the tank's empty and I move on to another. Oh, and I'm a regional IT/telecom manager.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-21-2005, 5:26 AM Reply   
I spent an insanely amount of money on gas, I ride everyday. If I take out our boat, I fill up the tank and everyone who rides gives me at least $15. If you don't pay up, I won't pull you! Luckily, I don't ride with large groups of people I don't know. I have a crew and we always help each other out.
If I ride on someone elses boat, I throw them $15-$20 depending on how long I rode.
Old    wakelurker            10-21-2005, 5:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, the extra ellipses count for extra pauses...the more the longer I suppose; I know, ellipses aren't for pauses but for things left out. Actually, I should use dashes, but the dot/period key is much more accessible----- The pinky doesn't reach up there as well. Of course, I could use a comma, but I like to mix it up here and there.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-21-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
Our farm pays for mine. Taxes cuts call it "Employee Entertainment". Some times mom and dad pay for it out their pocket too though. They had rather me be in the boat having a good sober time than have nothing to do but get tore up at home.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-21-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I am an analyst and my hubby is a mechanical engineer. We pay for gas by our jobs plus I tutor on the side and my hubby recently started riding his bike to work to save the gas for going to the lake (plus getting in better shape is always a bonus).

But we don't usually spend the entire day out on the lake so it's usually only $50-60 for the boat and $20 for the truck since we live close to the lake. Plus since we usually take my sister to be our 3rd, she usually only kicks in $5 plus her use fee.

(Message edited by melissad on October 21, 2005)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-21-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I just pay it. This year I am starting a gas fund early which will be all of my change and the ones that I have in my pocket when I get home for the day. Since my crew is basically always the same people I think if we all do this it will go a little ways. After that runs out I will just pay for it and accept whatever is offered by my friends. I have told all of them how much gas I use a day.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-21-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Here's my take on the whole how do you pay for gas.
I do little wakeboarding on my boat but for me it is priceless time spent with my family so I don't put a price on it. My girls are 10 and 12 and things we do together now will stay with them for ever, so I use a lot of vacation time on Fridays in the summer to go out on my boat and just be with them.

As far as the money goes. I work a couple extra hours overtime each week in the summer.Even when it's 95 degrees out and I don't feel like working I just think of the boat and do it.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       10-21-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
My boat sits in the water so there's no trailering to pay for, there's no marine gas station on my lake so I never pay $4.00 a gallon like some people do, most people throw down gas money when they come out (if they want to be invited back out again...), and I do my best to turn the boat off whenever someone isn't riding. With all that in mind, I work at Amazon.com and I pay for gas by typing and clicking away at this computer 8 hours a day. Plus I'm a gigolo on the side.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-21-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I guess I am kind of lucky, and live 2 miles from the lake, so truck gas is no big deal.

I have had MANY days where I hit the lake at 5 or 6, and leave about 6-7. Several days where I burn a whole tank of gas (48 g). One day I had to pull out and get more!!!!

I have a great crew, and everyone is pretty good about pitching in for gas, etc., although it still seems that I cough up for the beer, and usually, I estimate, about 60-70$/day for gas. It really is worth it, considering the awesome crew I have. If I did not have to work, I would be out several more days per week, doing the same thing. It is definately worth it.

As far as how I afford it... I have no idea
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-21-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
Pad the expense account.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-21-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Buzz,

Next time I am out with you, I am bringing the beer! And I know your rule is cans only. Challenging to get good beer in cans but now that I know what you had last time, I know what to bring. :-)

Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-21-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
10 gallons at a time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-21-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
The most we spent on gas was around $250.00 in one day. I live on a lake here in MN, so I dont have to worry about Truck gas.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-24-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
ill fill the boat up with gas at the start of the season and after each day at the lake we go fill it back up again and divide it by how many people went, seams to work out just fine
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
The same way we pay for taxes, mortgages, college and starbucks coffee. Its all out of control.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
I am going to move to South America.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-25-2005, 4:18 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I am spending a lot of time over here in the Middle East. (Air Force Pilot) All the money I am not spending while I am over here is going toward gas other such boating activities this next summer. (That is whatever my wife is not spending on her new boyfriend... hahahah, just kidding... I hope she does not have a new boyfriend!!!) I realize that at this rate, gas is going to be about $8.00 a gallon, so I am saving big.

I invite others, but if they do not pitch in for gas, they mysteriously do not get invited again. The scrubs get weeded out quickly that way.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-25-2005, 5:51 AM Reply   
Credit cards.....lol. hopefully it slows in the winter and pay them off. I just looked over my CC ststement last month and spent a little over $770 in gas (truck/boat) last month.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-25-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
The company I work for has direct deposit.
They let us split it up into as many as 3 accounts.
I have an account with Bank One that is only for my boat trips. I deposit $100 every two weeks into this account.
Ok when the weather is good, I spend much more then that. I have had weekends up to $400 just for gas. But if you get paid every other week like me, it works out to $2,600 per year. Then I also add any extra cash that comes my way to this account (Tax return, Rebate checks, and so on)
Last summer we started out with over 6k in the account. Today its very small, but we had a great summer!

I like to do it this way because I never have to think about the cost when the time comes.
Also I use a discover card for my gas, it gets me 5% back. Last year we got around $300 cash back from them.
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2005, 1:52 AM Reply   
hey andy, Who cares Idiot!!! If you can't afford it, don't go Right?
And stop bragging about MC. There are alot of nice boat besides X-series. I am sorry that you are missing out.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-27-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Sushi you are an Idiot. Hands down that is the stupidest post I have ever read. If I saw you out I the water I would spray your boat down. I am happy you live in Arizona, the land of No Water, stay there and enjoy your wife. God you are dumb. I bet you cannot even do an invert. Dumb ass. Who says I a bragging. You are the one who is missing out by owning a Malibutt. Stop acting like you’re not Jealous. Don’t be mad that you can only ride your wife and not a wakeboard.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
don't pay my taxes-
no health insurance
no IRA or mutual funds
no college fund for the kids
BUT
I do have gas for the boat.........
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-27-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
I siphon a few hundred of each paycheck and put it in the vacation account, auto-deposit. It's not accessable by ATM and the credit union is not geographically close to work or home, that keeps the balance up there. Every time we plan a trip I take a lunch hour prior in the week and pull a few hundred, or more, out of the account. This pays for the entire vacation. Works out well and doesn't affect my 'regular' bills.
In our case feeding the five kids probably adds up to more than the gas. Plus the wife doesn't appreciate camping so we rent a cabin or whatever is near the lake. Gas prices going up makes me think that less people will be out on the lake, doesn't affect me.