Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
We are teaching some kids how to wakeboard... they just got to wear they can clear the wake... now i want them to start grabbing, they are getting frustrated with it and so i was just looking for advice to tell them. How do I make it easier for them... I know it take's practice. Just interested in what you think?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-11-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
But I thought you owned a wakeboard school? I'm confused.

Dont reach down for the board, bring the board up to you.

maybe you could have them read this

http://wake-boarding.org/Tricks/Basics/Grabs/

(Message edited by slipknot on June 11, 2008)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
I've been confused for a while... but it's beginning to be the trend.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-11-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
those who can't do, teach maybe?? i don't know....
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
I do have a wakeboard school... I do not want to get in trouble trying to advertise my company at all through wakeworld... But I love how you can get everyone's thought's on how to throw different stuff. If you are a wakeboarder you would know that everyone has a different style to wakeboarding and everyone has a different personality... I have read and read everything how to throw different tricks... I know my stuff when it comes to that. But sometime's they do not work for a particular student's... I feel the best info is to get other info from other people... One person could say "throw the grab right off the wake" or "wait wait then grab" just all depends. So like to get insight on basic inverts so that i can teach the student due to they style they are riding with. It has worked really well...
And another thought... Just because I have to be pro? My company is based on having fun... When I am on a boat with someone it is awesome if they are throwing 720's or 900's... but what i remember is the vibe of the trip. My company represent's "boards" and what it does for people. Everyone that is on my team is Equal... does not matter if you are a pro or begginer... we are all trying to get better. I would give the same props to a kid that landed a heelside 900 and to a kid that landed a wake to wake tail grab. They are the same to me. Because they both landed soemthing new. And that is what matters.
We have a local rider and is name is Ben Christensen... and he is riding in Brostock this weekend in the double up contest... He know's how to ride. So when I do get student's that are in the Outlaw level he teaches them.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-11-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
I taught my wife how to grab indy wake to wake.

Once she was comfortable going w2w:

1. we started by having her let go of the handle with her rear hand a few times.
2. Then we had her go for a tap on her rear binding with her rear hand.
3. Then a tap on the board
4. Then a solid Indy grab.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
I have never thought about doing it in step's like that! Thank you!
This is what I am talking about! everyone has way's they teach.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Glad you can share the stoke of wakeboarding and bring new people to the sport. I do find it odd that you come on here and ask for guidance to then take it back somewhere where you are more than likely making money off of it. I guess I'm jealous because I'd love to make money using other peoples tips. That, and there is a section on this website for trick tips, which you continue to ignore because you get results quicker posting it in here. Quicker results equal quicker turn around for you, and satisfied customers right?

I'm sorry, I just have personal opinions on people "instructing" and what they claim in advertisements and what they tell their students. This is not specific to you at all Justin, it is people in my area.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
I hope you advertise yourself as an instructor for beginners. If you don't know by now what jarrod just said, you shouldn't be teaching.

Also, what slipknot said. Make sure to bring the board up to the hand, not the other way around.

"One person could say 'throw the grab right off the wake' or 'wait wait then grab' just all depends"

No it doesn't depend. Pop, then go for the grab, don't "throw the grab right off the wake".
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Anytime you guys want to go out and ride please let me know... I will show you what I can do and then you can judge me what skill level I can teach.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I don't want to judge your riding skill level. Lots of people can do, not as many can teach. For all I know you are a great motivator and teacher. That is great for teaching kids. I do not get using free advice from here to teach paying students, but that's life I guess.

I do agree with mellow man, most anyone should know that is the way to teach someone to grab.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Wow you guys are really capping on Justin for looking for a different perspective?!?! Sometimes when it comes to coaching one persons angle doesn't stick and it takes another persons input to make the advice stick. I have a good friend that rips, when he is trying things that I can't even fathom I can still tell him what he did wrong because I understand the sport and how tricks are done.

Justin, I'd ride with your attitude any day!! That's what it is all about! Fun and enjoying new/old friends. As a matter of fact I'll be visiting Chandler later this month. We've got some family friends that live on a private lake there. I'd be stoked to meet up and ride with you. Plus I know no one in the area.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Thank you Big Heavy... and you can come ride with us anytime! just look in my profile for my email address and we can exchange number's. We know lot's of people. I am looking forward to meeting you. I live 10 min away form chandler.

I understand how a grab works... just wanted to see what everyone thought... that is all. But anyways, I am not using all of you to make money.. to be honest with all of you.. I do not make money teaching... I own two epic's.. I can not give out my website on this because i would be advertising.. but look on my profile and look at my prices.. then imagine two boat payments... tell me if i make money? i do this to help and teach... i have a full time job working at a college and when i get off i go board.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-11-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
I don't know Justin or really anything about his school but I can tell any of you wondering if his school is legit that Ben Christensen is an amazing and top notch coach. not only is he an incredible rider and great guy but his coaching ability and understanding of wakeboard physics is top notch.

I'm also a fan of the many different perspectives approach. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
LETS END THIS NOW.

From one coach to another...
q. "How do you make grabs easier?"
a. "get shorter legs"

ask Shapiro, worked for him.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
haha!
Agreed
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
" I do not make money teaching... I own two epic's. "

Why not just give free pulls to frineds on one boat? Why go thru all the hassle of trying to start a school? IF you have money to burn more power to you.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I like J-rod's approach, but I would add to advance on the handle a little bit when they are leaving the wake. I never put much thought into it until I was watching some videos that had slow motion sections in them and saw all of the riders pull the handle in toward them right when they were about to leave the wake. I guess for some people, that step comes naturally.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-11-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
practice your grabs while standing on the board in the water while waiting for the boat to come around (i.e. dont lie on your back). you will get used to what your body position feels like, and the balance in the water is very similar to the balance in the air.

thats how I got my nuke down.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Wow you guys are harsh! I know my baseball thru and thru...especially pitching. If i can teach 9 out of 10 guys how to throw a cut fastball but my normal method that I use isn't working for that one guy that doesnt make me a bad coach! And it doesn't mean I cann't ask for help just cause I'm a coach!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
dennis, keep it apples to apples....can you explain to soemone how to throw/catch a ball w/o help? same as grabbin w2w
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
I like that idea with the grabbing of the board while you are waiting for the boat!

and thank you for your comment Dennis. Exactly my point
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
J-Rod's approach is exactly how our children learn in school today. Example: Teachers teach them basic math skills in order to get into the more advance math skills at a higher grade level. If the child does not understand it, that is why there are tutors out there than can show you a different approach. Another example is with special needs children (e.g. autism, mentally challenged, ...). Repetition is the best bet to learn but how you learn can vary from one person to another. $.02
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Sorry Sam.....a w2w grab isn't as simple as catching a ball and throwing it.....I've been riding for a few years and I cann't do good w2w grabs.(but i suck) If you play baseball for a few years you can throw and catch.....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Dennis, do you charge to for your expertise and use of the ball field? And teaching a grab would be more like catching a fly ball.

I'm not trying to stir stuff, but I am the one who probably started this, and now there are all sorts of analogies.

Justin, I'm glad you teach people to wakeboard, keep it up, it sounds like you have a good thing going. I mean no disrespect to your school. What I was referring to is not you asking how to grab and still running a school. (although it is odd). I'm sure you have skills, and can teach much more than grabbing. I spend too much time on wakeworld, and every other day a new thread is started where you ask tips regarding a wakeboard maneuver. Again, there is a tips section on here as you have been pointed to in the other threads. I also find it exploiting when you use techniques and suggestions from others in your business. Bottomline, I find it an unethical practice to come on here asking for teaching techniques when you in turn are charging others for your instruction. Others obviously don't feel the same as me, but the comparisons are getting kind of outlandish. I volunteer and teach people to ride and ski, I charge gas money. I have done this for a while and you begin to learn the different techniques and tricks to teach people through experience. An ethical way in my mind is to read up on instructionals, study films, and analyze how others complete a trick. Relying on others' techniques is not instructing IMO. I know I'm about to be beaned by some pitches, but I had to express myself. Thanks.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
My bad,

Just saw that you tried last week in the Trick Tips.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/587728.html?1212779929
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
A-dub, I hate when that happens!!!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
A-dub are you the new forum monitor? WTF. If you don't like the threads he starts stay out of them. You state an ethical way in my mind is to read up on instructional, study films, and analyze how others complete a trick. Relying on others' techniques is not instructing IMO. Isn't that same as exploiting others techniques. The guy is just looking for some useful tips. Would you suggest that he just direct his student's to the trick tips section.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Difference of opinions. It is not the same as exploiting others' techniques because you observed and made your own cognitive theory or technique to describe the instruction. You're not turning around and telling someone exactly what you were told (or was an answer on a forum). I expect the backlash, I'm not trying to monitor or anything, just voicing my opinion and observation.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-11-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Justin, there was a thread on poking grabs. Search it, some good techniques including the "turn around poke"
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
this place is getting worse by the day.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-11-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
The way this thread has turned is RIDICULOUS! I feel like I'm on that other Wakeboarder site when I read this thread.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
How about getting back on topic?

I'll start by saying I learned the grabs I got the same way j-rod explained it. The only difference is I would bring the board up to the position of the grab (without grabbing the board) and get used to that feeling. After a couple of jumps doing this reach down and grab it. That's what worked for me.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
I know that when I used to teach surfing in college (yes, for money) some of the best advice on how to teach the beginners actually came from the intermediates, who were paying customers. Why? Because I'd been surfing since I could walk. No chance I was going to remember how it felt to learn. So, to a very large extent, I actually had to learn how to teach from my students...

Perspective is good. Let's hear some more perspective on grabs.

(Message edited by Monkey on June 11, 2008)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Good point. Sorry for being such a jacka**. My foot is in my mouth. Good luck with your school Justin, looks like a good thing.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-11-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
I sure hope all this stuff makes my grabs easier I'm kinda out of luck on the short legs technique though...
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
haha I did not think that this thread would end up like this at all! Sorry about this guy's. But A-Dub no worries man... i understand everyone has there opinions. now let this thread sink to the bottom of the page!
Thanks for the comment's everyone and if my technique of wakeboarding does not work on a certain student... I will be using some of these different ideas.

(Message edited by adrenalindustries on June 11, 2008)