Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-27-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
Yes, another Havasu thread. Sorry! I have plans to go this upcoming labor day weekend but the extended forecast calls for isolated thunderstorms on Saturday and Monday. Anyone ever experience thunderstorms in Havasu? How are they? How big are the swells? How is the lightening? I feel like the Titan III on my boat will act like a lightening rod if it gets bad. On one hand, I am considering aborting the trip, especially since the forecast in socal is so nice. But on the other hand, I had so much fun Memorial Day weekend I feel like I owe it to myself to make it back to close out the summer. Any thoughts would be mucho appreciated. Thanks!!
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-28-2007, 12:19 AM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about the swells as much as I would worry about your beach if you have one. Close the summer out in style but if you have a beach I wouldn't put up an ez-up or anything like that. You won't even have a clue that anythings coming until your ez-up suddenly goes airborne on you.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
I lost my easy up the second time I used it. I was pissed.

I wouldn't worry about the weather. If it starts raining wait 10 minutes. It'll stop.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-28-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
This time of year is monsoon weather. It happens in the afternoon and can whip up pretty nasty. The thing is, you can see them coming for miles & prepare before they get there. Good advise about the EZ Up, just put it down & leave it on the beach. Should be fine as long as people from 29 Palms don't show up. Isolated T-Storms are nothing to worry about, odds are pretty good your boat won't get struck and the storms are incredible to watch with a gin & tonic in hand!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I've never heard of anyone's tower getting struck by lightening.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for everyone's comments. I am still up in the air and don't know what to do! Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-28-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Isolated means it will be hit and miss. If you do get a storm, it will pass. Go. Have fun. Take lots of pictures!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-28-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Isolated means it will be hit and miss. If you do get a storm, it will pass. Go. Have fun. Take lots of pictures, so I can live vicariously through you. I will be spending my labor day weekend in a field, sweating my but off with a bunch of dudes(hunting).
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-28-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Paul I'll be doing the same thing. Now imagine hunting out at Havasu, it should be about 95 by 6am. God I hope the birds are flying cuz after about 7:30 it gets retarded hot! I'm talking 110 plus and humid! Luckily after a morning hunt we get to head to the river/lake for some revelry!!

Jason, sack up, make it happen!!!
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks, Big Heavy. A "sack up" is what I need.

Paul, we may be all dudes as well, at least in our crew. We had two girls bail out because of the weather forecast. We are down to almost all guys. We will definitely be taking pics. However, I don't know how many we will be posting. My buddy got booted from wakeworld after posting what we thought were clean enough photos from Memorial Day weekend. We learned thongs are not permitted on wakeword. Who knew??
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-29-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Well, now you know! Just label the thread as big labor day party!

BG, it is usually really hot here as well. At least you don't have the mosquito(sp?) problems we have here. We have to wear enough deet to kill a horse. Good luck and be safe!

(Message edited by psudy on August 29, 2007)
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-29-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Make sure you have a good anchor if you are going to watch the storm from shore. I have had 3-4 foot waves pull up a box anchor in just 10 minutes, hook up to a permanent buoy if you can. It's not fun wrestling a 23 footer against the shore.

or, make sure you have a full ice chest and head out to one of the coves and ride it out, they usually hit hard and are gone in 10-15.

Stay away from the launch ramps during the storm unless you are there just for the entertainment!

Heading north from the bridge up river watch out for shallow water, its not marked off. Stay far right and you should be fine. Have a great trip.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
I just checked the local weather and the thunderstorms have been moved back to Tuesday and Wednesday. It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
If you head down towards the dam early tomorrow morning look for a white Mastercraft 205 with an extended pylon, stop by join in for a 6am brew. We will be getting after it along the buoy line, just don't throw rollers our way. Upload
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-30-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
First of all they're Monsoons not just thunderstorms here in AZ.

And the lightning is no joke!

Upload
Your titan tower should make a great conductor!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I love how people say your cell phone makes a great conductor as well.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-30-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
Isolated Thunderstorms usually means they're over the mountains, not the lake.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-30-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
That may be true in Carlsbad but in the Valley, Isolated thunderstorms pop up just about anywhere and fast.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Monsoons are over. I wouldn't worry go have a great time! clouds here mean either SOLID butter or crappy water. I personally had one of the best days on the lake this last weekend when I woke up it was lightning, wind, and light rain. When the sun came up it was overcast and still air. We had an awesome weekend!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-30-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Steve Hahn Solo, Isolated Thunderstorms in Lake Havasu City AZ typically means they're going to be over the mountains. When they're expecting them to pop up over the entire town, they don't typically call them "isolated". They call those widespread thunderstorms (or sometimes Scattered Thunderstorms). Isolated means isolated.

Thunderstorms require 2 main components to form

1) Moist, unstable air
2) a lifting force.

When you have moist, unstable air, the moutains provide the lifting force. The lake does the opposite.

p.s. Regardless, beware of flash flooding on your drive there and back... mud on the road, etc.

(Message edited by Monkey on August 30, 2007)
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
I agree with the flash floods on the drives, getting caught in one of those can be filthy.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-30-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
Jason- its steve... this weekends gonna kick ass.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2007, 2:16 AM Reply   
Fire it up Steve!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-05-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
How was hunting BG? We went out Saturday and it was like a war zone. Came home with 40. Monday was a little slower, but we still managed 15.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Very good weekend in Havasu aside from it being 115/95. Storm clouds gathered every night "OVER THE MOUNTAINS", basically just a good light show and beautiful sunsets. Probably half the total boats of Memorial Day, good water in the mornings, places to hang in the canal if you so desire, traffic was not too too bad leaving on the 40 Monday.

Word to the wise about Havasu on the big weekends. If you are drinking beer and driving the boat, make sure it is your first beer and that is it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
The T-Storms were epic in the evenings. Did I call it or what?

Paul, the shooting was pretty slow. Out here the limit for a day is 10 & its only an AM shoot, I limited the first two days (not everyone did) and only shot for a couple hours on the 3rd. By 8am its 105 degrees and you get over trekking through scrub pretty dang quick. Fun as always, my buddy shot for the first time & did pretty good for a rook.

Oh & on Friday I stomped my second heel OA Mute 3, on the river.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-05-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Sunday night the thunderstorms were freaking crazy. Did you see all that lighting?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-05-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, Our limit is 15, but my sister went and she can't hit $h__. We thought it was going to be crappy because we sat their for two and a half hours with pretty much nothing. Then, one hour before sunset, the flood gates opened. It was fun.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-05-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
A couple weeks ago at Powell. Cool pics! Just thought I would share.

Pics by Tim SooHoo

Upload
Upload
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Buzz, any chance you can send me the original sized first pic? That is SICK!

Sink0022@umn.edu

(Message edited by Sinkoumn on September 05, 2007)
Old     (wave63)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
please send both.
Kenton@3rivers.net