Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
I am super pumped on my new shape and want everyone to have the chance to give it a go. I can't make that happen, but I want to do what I can in a creative way. I am going to put one board into a box and ship it to someone. That person then rides the board for a day or two and ships it to the next person. The person receiving will need to pay for the next shipment. Each rider should get at least one pic riding the board, and maybe some other creative ones? Each person should sign the board and what city and state it was ridden in.
One problem that I already see is who gets the board first and then from there? That is if anyone actually wants to do this? I have a 140 and a 135. Not sure which one I will send out, what do you guys/gals think?
Scott Firman, what do you think?
Shaun
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
I think this is a good idea. Kind of like the longboard surfing video "singlefin yellow"
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-10-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I love the idea. My only question is how are you going to make sure that someone doesn't decide to keep it? I would love to demo your new shape. Just send it here to AR and I'll give it a go.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-10-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
I think that's a great idea. if you get it to the guys (like me :-) ) who ride the cable parks, a lot of people will get a chance to check the board out.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Shaun

I think you have come up with a great idea. You will need to start it with someone who can possibly forward it to someone not so fortunate to buy new boards all the time, but will get a wonderful opportunity to ride your board. Someone could even invite someone less fortunate to learn to ride with them and what better board to teach them on. Just some thoughts.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
I'll give it a go. I would need to ride the 140.

What would also be cool is to maybe get some video of people riding the board and put a compilation together at the end of the year. Might find some pretty cool rippers out there to promo it.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
Great idea Shaun, I'd love to demo it and think it would be fun to see where it's been, how far it's traveled.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
Keith that is what that surf video I mentioned is, they send this board from person to person, and video it along the way. Pretty cool they way they did it.
Old     (goofyboy)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-10-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Shaun,

Why not send it to different clubs? that way a bunch of folks could try it at one time. Cut down on some of the shipping and give each local club another reason to get together.

i'd be happy to get it passed around the Houston, TX crowd (Gulf Coast Wakeboarding Association).
Plenty of pics and some vids would be easy to come by.

i would need the 140. we like our BBQ down here.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
It might also be good to get a large list of people who want to ride it first. Then you could put together the order of who gets it based on who lives closest to who so that the time and cost of shipping is minimized. You may also want to look into a more durable box so the box can make it throughout the season as well. I'm just trying to think of ways to maximize the number of people who will get to ride it as well as minimize the cost.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
You would just need to start a blog or webpage for the board, and then actually keep it updated to ensure everyone was cooperating, which I think they would. Excellent and unique idea Shaun, and I'm sure the board would run out of room for sigs after 3-4 trips after everyones friends get involved.... Big possibilities with an idea like this
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Maybe posting on here can be used to keep track of who has the board. Then people can post their opinions on it once they've passed it along
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-10-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Great idea! This could be really cool.
Old     (eddievg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
I agree, sounds like a great idea.
What are your thoughts on sending it overseas....like Sweden? :-)
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
Eddie,
I'm with you. If the board comes to Europe, I could arrange something in Austria (Vienna and/or Linz). I am sure the huge cable community in Germany would be interested, too.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
The Texas A&M Wakeboard Club would love to try it out!
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-10-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Virginia Tech Wakeboard club would wanna get in on this too.

Great idea
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
I am totally game. The blog/posting sounds like the best plan. If the person who sends it off states who then sent it to then everyone would know who has it. Also you should make sure that it hits climates at the right time. I would hate to receive the board next week being that the ice hasn't thawed. But a great idea and I think the mystery of "where is it going next?" is going to be awesome.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Shaun,
You the man. sounds really kool

What about hitting sliders?
Is this a board that you would wont to keep off the sliders, or no?
or have one for the sliders and one not?

just putting out some questions to consider

And in case you didn't see it on another thread, Thanx for the shout out to my bro albert at the utah baot show!}
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-10-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
awesome idea.
Old     (devon591)      Join Date: May 2007       03-10-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
its gotta come to Canada too
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Sweet Idea!... I would attach detailed instructions along with the board and maybe put a date on it so you can get it back at the end. Then do something cool with it... (auction it off for charity, post it on wakeworld, give it to a less fortunate rider, etc..)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-10-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
i think it should be no sliders, just so it can make it throught the season.

I like the club idea, b/c it would get the most people on it. but I also don't like it, b/c nobody in my area would get to rip it, since we don't have a prominent club in the area (i'm working on that).

i think the logistics of where it goes is important too, so it doesn't spend the summer in a box moving getting shipped all over the place. So if its in College Station,Tx it should go to Houston next, Not to chicago then back to houston.

maybe have more than one board. one for each region or something. I think its an awesome idea!!
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Shaun,
That is a sweet idea. I have had your previous 2 models and I would love to be apart of something so awesome. I live in Michigan and im down for sure!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-10-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Me and my crew would love to try it out. Awesome idea.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-10-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Great idea. No sliders allowed though and have a time limit for each person. Also, there are not clubs everywhere so if clubs are "hogging" it a lot of people that don't have the opportunity to try your board would be missing out. Those people in clubs also have more accessibility to other boards including your model to try out anyway.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-10-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
put me on the list. this will put northwest indiana on the map (or board)
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Your board is on top of my list for boards to consider for this season. I would love to be involved.
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-10-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Great idea!!! Now who is going to ship to me in the UK???
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
2263 Cabernet Way livermore California 94550
lol
great idea shaun
u came up with one of the best ways possible to share the experiance of riding a new board
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
"Great idea!!! Now who is going to ship to me in the UK??? "

I dunno but you can ship it to me after :P

Shaun,
One thing I think is that the box would be falling apart after like 3 shippings so I'd think about shipping the board in a bag and asking whoever is shipping it to email you at your personal email address, that way you always know where the board went - so the new receiver couldn't steal it without you knowing it was him - I know this goes against the idea of paying it forward a little, but in my experience of demo'ing stuff.. give them an inch and they take a mile.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I'd like to get one of those board to the 3rd annual New Jersey Wakefest this year! It could be ridden, reviewed, photographed and signed by lots of Wakefest attendees, and then I would promptly forward it to the next person on the list. I think this is a very cool idea.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Don't send it to BG! One raley....and game over. SNAP!
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
^^^hahahahhaha
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm with Devin, if it comes to Canada I'm definitely down.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
awesome idea. If the board ever comes to MN, I can set it up with a new box! A great way to share the stoke!
Old    sdahockey21            03-10-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Awesome Idea. I would love to get a session on it!!

If you like I could set up a Personal Forum exclusively for the board location, etc.

Similar to the one I did here
www.hurlburthockeyonline.com/forum

Just let me know I would be Honored!

}

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on March 10, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Great Idea...
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
wow, great responses! so figuring out where it will go could pose a problem, but getting some more info on where people are is key. like some have said here, keeping the distance traveled in between demos would help with time and cost. i would think keeping it off sliders for the first go on this would help everyone get the true ride. my board has been holding up really well at owc, but you would want the bottom pretty fresh if you were trying it.
It would be an honor system and everyone would know where it is each time. if you have the cajones to keep it, that's just not cool, and I really don't think it would happen.
I'm pretty pumped to see this thing go on the road. Not sure if it will go internationally, but it is something I am thinking about and will do what I can to make it happen.
Clubs might be a good place, as long as it is treated well and not stuck in one place for too long. I would like it to be in one place for no more than a couple days, which is quick, but the more traveling the better.
if you have ideas how to make this better, let me know, but keep it brief so i can read all posts.
word up.
shaun
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
i think it should go cross country to the west coast to start it off then start headin back statewise and eventually make it back to u in florida but thas my opinion
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       03-10-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Shaun,

I say you bring it out to Spring Ride} and hand it off there for the first go around. There will be hundreds of die hards there and making a choice should be pretty easy. Hand it off with the address of the next destination and the fun begins.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-10-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
I definitely think a compiled list, and a then blog with the list so people can post up and check off where it is would be cool.
Old    sdahockey21            03-10-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Agree with JD ^^

I can create the blog/forum
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
It's like the brotherhood of the traveling wakeboard. tight.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I would love to try it in the 135! We could even set up a demo day here at Clear Lake!
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
i agree with Gary and DRA shaun you should fly out to spring rde at tulloch and participate in the festivities and start the coast to coast board demo trip from there lol
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Sean,
Based on the excitement, surely Hyperlite can front a couple boards in circulation dare I say 3 (East Coast, West Coast and you of all can understand our MidWest Coast). The more people ride the board the more people buy it. No disrespect to any internet retailers, but that kind of purchase requires a "feet on" demo or some serious blind faith. As far as ideas to make it better: (1). Using an empty screw hole, ratchet down some sort of GPS device so it can be tracked online (and so you can send cronies after it should get stuck somewhere). (2). Have a photo contest whereby people submit their best shot of them hanging out with the board (on or off water [I will get the board a tasteful lap dance and support her education in the process]). (3). Invent a time machine, go back, and destroy the master tape of you coughing out the booger (shudders) or at least send the board to Lake Ozark to help block out the memory.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
i just bought one but id love to take part in this and sign my name on it. realy cool idea for sure. can you imagine how many names would be on that thing at the end of the year. then you could auction it off on ebay or something.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
if your gunna auction it off the proceeds should go to a charatable cause so that way it still gives back just a thought tho
sumthin like wakeworld had like the aucyion for the Katrina Relief
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-10-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
PUT ME DOWN}
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-10-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
I love it! too bad its about 4 days too late for me, i went ahead and bought one and figured if for some reason i didn't like it, i could sell it. But i do love this idea!

You could ship out the 140 and the 135 and have two different lists people could get on. a smaller guy/girl that needs to be riding the 135 wouldn't get the real effect of the board if they were testing it on a 140...and vise versa. Just my opinion. But two seperate forums set up in the same way and keeping the distance between riders short between both would be an awesome deal! And if Jackass were to "forget to forward it on" and posts pictures of it somewhere on the net or tries to sell it.. haha, I think wakeworld has enough people in every part of the country that we wouldn't have a problem getting it back ;) Awesome idea Shaun! Honestly, I don't see ANY other pros doin anything like this, much less coming up with the idea for it!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-10-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Shaun, we have several groups of riders in this area (NJ riders, MD/DC, PA) We could shuffle the board around so that 10-20 people get to ride it at each location. Could make for some fun "demo-days"!
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Great idea! I would think the 140 would be a better fit for a majority of riders, no? I would think a website could be set up, with a list of people willing to participate with shipping information available there. Also when they would be able to ride, NH is still frozen and will be getting too cold to ride for some in october. Person shipping board could send to nearest person on list
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
I can see it now. www.RideMurraysBoard.com
Old    walt            03-10-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Every person that rides it should sign it with their name and lake it was ridden on.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
I already mentioned that I think that this is an amazing idea. I have a few thoughts now that people have started to post their opinions.

First off, I think that the more word of mouth/grassroots this thing can be the better. I love the "viralness" of the project and I personally think the board should be shipped out tomorrow. No list, no nothin. In a perfect world the board would show up on a riders doorstep one morning only to result in the most awesome impromptu session ever.

Secondly, I think that no real "official" demos should be set up. This isn't what this whole thing is about. Sure, an individual can set up a big posse to ride the board but I think the fun would be taken out of it if it was sent to a shop for a "demo day." Being able to ride the board in your own backyard is what it is all about. The way I see it there are a few different scenarios.

Scenario #1: A rider receives the board and immediately calls up their closest bro's and session the board. The stoke level is so high that it becomes one of the best days on the water of the season. Regardless of the weather conditions.

Scenario #2: A club rider gets the board and calls up his club buddies. This plays out quite similar to the Scenario above but this one may have a little more structure or planning behind it.

Scenario #3: I know that there are several family riders out there and I can only imagine the bonding experience that would occur by "Riding Murray's Board." I know it sounds hoaky but I grew up waterskiing and wakeboarding with my family and they were definitely some of our best days together out on the water. I would only hope that an activity like this would bring that to others as well.

That is what I have for now. I have ideas. Lots of em' Especially some plans if I end up receiving the board. Let me know if you want to hear more of them.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Love it Walt! And I think one board. How awesome would it be to have everyone's signatures on ONE board!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-10-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
It should start here in Orlando, The wakeboard Capitol. Dave.
Old    sealyon.net            03-10-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Great idea Shaun. Were in TN. Some people may only be able to ride on weekends, that may slow the shipping to the next guy though. We have fresh boxes.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
David Miller, why? everyone in orlando has the opportunity to demo. it should go to the people who really cant demo not just people who want to sign it.
Old    sdahockey21            03-10-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Man the more I read this thread the more pumped I get!!!

Can we send it out already!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
I got a Idea: It would be cool for some how all of the people in all of the places that it got to ride it had their signature on the board as a part of the
new or next years graphic. Use the getting your signature on the board as a part of the ride and return pass it on policy. It would be fun to see how many people in One year and all the diffrent places in the world a board could travel.

How about some more Ideas
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       03-10-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
You could send it around to local shops and they could let the local riders demo it then send it to the next shop. Great idea dude.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Someone putting on a grassroots contest should sign up to get it when there their tournement is scheduled, and make it available for the weekend, could get a lot of riders trying it.

J-Rod, Kong only breaks them because he's riding a _ _ _ sorry dude could'nt resist.

Cool idea Shaun, Greg owes you a bonus for this one.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-10-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Shaun's in Orlando, so he could hand it off....It would be cool enough to have your name on the board

(Message edited by otown_dave on March 10, 2008)
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
i know some of you crazies are already riding, but I have to make sure the places it is going will be warm enough. not to mention the possibility of a bunch of windy days with no good time to ride in a certain location.
Part of me wants to think this through and make sure it goes right with all the right preparations and the other part just wants to get it on the road. I think I might be able to get one in each size going?
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Put down another stop in Missouri! Great idea Shaun.
As to the shipping, could there possibly be a deal made up with FedEx or UPS, with the amount, or part of the amount, that it cost to ship the board going to your favorite charity (a real one, not just YOU!)?
Just a thought.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
just got off the phone with greg from hyperlite and we are aiming to have one on the road by end of this week beginning of next. Actually, not just one, but one of each, 135, 140, and 145.
Not sure if we are going to ship them from the factory or from my house. of course I want to put them in the box, but whatever gets them on the road fastest works best for me and all of you.
I will be putting a little book/journal for the riders to sign and write notes about the board.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
May 16th would be a perfect time for us Chicago riders, May Demo Days is the first big thing to kick off our short season in Ottawa, for the midwest militia. I'm thinking if we are going to give it to stores and clubs then those places should have times that would be the best for them. This way a lot of people would be able to ride it in a small area.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
cali delta riding is epic right now
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-10-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Send it to me first I'll get the party started.
Old    walt            03-10-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
If the board shows up in NOR*CAL and someone lets me know I'll try to get some photos of it being put to use.
Old     (zburns)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
I think it should have to go through all 50 states well at least the lower 48 anyway. Start at the bottom of california or florida then start working your way through the rest of them. (Maybe spend a little extra time in lynchburg va wink wink)
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-10-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Your crazy posting that of course everyone is going to want to ride it. Just put it in a box with a letter explaining what it is and ship it off. The only problem I see is its going to be going to more people with connections. Kind of sucks but

"Its not what you know its who you know."

And thats the truth.
33 Walnut Tree Dr.
Colusa, Ca

(Message edited by dnannen on March 10, 2008)
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
this is one of the sickest idea's i've heard. i would love to get my hands on the 135 board. i'm a member at a private lake so there would be a good amount of guys to try it. i think it would be smarter to start it in the warmer states first.(cali, florida, AZ, Texas) you know which ones in talking about. i'm already riding in board shorts in the cali. water temp 60 and air temp 70. it would be best if there was so kind of a list put together with peopel that want the same size board and have that list sent with the board with the address so we all know where to send it. accorse you would have to make it so where everyone has a week or 2 to get their name on the list and then close it off so the list can be set.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-10-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
This is probably the best idea I've heard of in a long time.

Absolutely love the idea of having everyone sign it and send a journal with it, could make for some very interesting advertisments as well once the summer is over.

One additional thought is you could also conduct some sort of drawing at the end of the season to give each respective board to one of those who rode it earlier in the year. Just a thought, but it would be sick!

Sign me up - 140 please
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-10-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Shaun.... are we still going to be signing the board... I liked that idea!!

PUT ME DOWN FOR THE 135!!!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
Shaun if I/we can get a 140/145 I can coordinate with dcwake, NJ peeps, and some SE PA riders to pass the board around, signed and pictures of course.

Also might want to consider using "stud and nut" setup instead of bolt for bindings otherwise the threads are going to get beat up, quick.

If I send you mine I hope you will sign it.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
I think the process needs to be scheduled OR the process will be doomed because of the average idiot factor.

People should apply for access and make a commitment to the process otherwise it will never work.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
I am just accross the river/reservoir from ridinNSippi, so we could share the ride..
actually just got in an 07 Murray.. yeah, I am always a year or two behind. are tight rolls still cool Shaun?