Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (hyperliterider90)      Join Date: May 2010       11-30-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
How is this board? Im a pretty novice wakeskater.. i have a cwb deck which i dont like and i can do basic ollies, 180s, shuv, and 360 shuv. im looking for a bi level board..
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
the onset is not a very popular board. The concave shape is pretty weird. very steep kick tail and has no side concave except on the last inch of the edge. Last year they broke really easily, but for 2010 i havent heard anyone say anything about the board on wakeworld or wakeskating.com
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       12-09-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Hey Mitch - have you rode the Onset before? Hmmmm I seem to remember Stu Shinn winning the MOTY in 2008 and Matt Manzari taking home the same award in 2009.... Both rode the Onset. No side concave? The entire deck has 3D shaping. Break easily? For 2011 we added a ABS sidewall and 4 more sheets of maple ply.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
I rode it a few time last year. The side concave is pushed so far out that your feet dont even touch it while riding. Its doesnt give you extra leverage when edging like on most boards. And the top deck started cracking after a set or two, but that doesnt effect the performance i guess. I know you guess strengthened the boards and that s awesome. I know its preference but the board just didnt work for me and all my buddies that tried it.
Old    mojo            12-10-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
hey cwb, if you are even affiliated with the company, why would you reply in such a way as a representative for your company? matt and stu could ride just about any skate and kill it like matt did on the deuce pop. i've heard some good and mostly bad things about it. mostly about construction so you may have fixed that, but not everyone has to be in love with your shapes, especially since ya'll jumped on the wakeskate team band wagon late. it's like thinking of the name for a kid. you want to think of all the ways other kids could tease him about it. can you think of what words can replace connelly wake boards? i sure can.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       12-10-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
If someone asks a question regarding our product and the first reply is to totally bash it - don't we have a right to defend our product by stating the facts? I mean that is what these forums are all about - open discussion.

Honestly I'm not understanding your comment regarding naming your child CWB. But, if you like, by all means ------------------ go for it.

As many people know, the majority of the wake companies build many other products than just wakeboards and skates so if you want to target us out that's fine, but that is the truth.

Integrity is a classy core company - I for one totally respect them. My career background was entrenched in the owner/rider core scene so I understand your philosophy. But I don't think there is any need to get into a mud slinging contest do you?

Yes, I'm affiliated w/ the company. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if I somehow offended you or Mitch I do sincerely apologize.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       12-10-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Oh and I agree Stu and Matt could ride a 2 x 4 and make it look good.
Old     (hyperliterider90)      Join Date: May 2010       12-10-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
today was the first day i rode the 11' onset.. and it is amazing. LOVE it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-11-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
CWB, my post wasnt a bash. It was an honest opinion of the board based on expereince. I think i gave a pretty detailed response to the thread with examples. I dont hate on things just to hate. I gave the board a solid try and it just wasn't for me. I respect CWB and what they do. I'm stoked they are behind great riders like Stu and Matt.
Old    mojo            12-12-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
c=crappy
w=wake
b=boards
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-13-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Now there's an intelligent response with great value to the thread.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-13-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Wow I must have really wanted in here. How long ago did the format change requiring a new login?

Well, I'm impressed to see CWB on the forum sticking up for their product. Nice to see they care.

Right now I am pissed at the ipod repair guys.
http://www.ipodrepair.com/?gclid=CI3...Fc9w5QodMEr2pA
I sent them three Ipods and never heard back. Sent them an e-mail, never heard back.

My RainX windshield wipers - one fell off today and was falling apart at the blade before that. It will be a few days before I get to the parts store and see what they will do.

Anyway, I am a skateboard hack that is glad to see a company taking an interest. Hopefully that interest is to say good things about their stuff and they are not hiding behind any name other than their own.

I look forward to some credible discussions in the future. I find the engineering of these boards interesting. Why, if you can ride a 2x4 - does the design appear to make such a big difference to various riders? Really the fact that it matters at all is amazing to me.

And since I bothered to log in. I started on a very light board which I lost. I now have a red and black one that is really too small for my 200lbs. (I'm not sure who made it) but most of the new stuff is 8 lbs. or so. Why? I'm never going to hit a rail, why would I want a skate that heavy?

Hittig 0 deg F tonight. It is nice to talk about boarding

SD2
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Jeff, of course the shape of the board matters. There is a standard shape that a lot of the wood concave skate companies use, but even then they still have differences that make the ride way different and feel different than the others. But then there are companies with completely unique shapes, those shapes work well for some people but not usually the majority.
Like length, width, concave shape, and construction, weight of the board is a feature that riders have a preference to. Most wakeskaters prefer a heavier board now around 10lbs. The heavier board sits deeper in the water, spins slower/smoother, stays with you better on w2w, and is more forgiving when the water conditions aren't glass or if your riding have sketchy landings. I prefer a board around 8-9lbs which puts me in the minority, but it works for me. I like that there are a bunch of different board shapes do give me a choice.
Old     (radmattyd)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-14-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
The Onset weighs 14lbs
While the Four.19 weighs 9.4 lbs.
Old    mojo            12-17-2010, 11:39 PM Reply   
CWB-it was the condescending way you responded to a description of your product.

Last edited by wakeworld; 12-20-2010 at 5:26 PM.