Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-26-2014, 6:49 PM Reply   
Hello,

I have a new to me 1997 Hydrodyne Nexstar V-226 with a PCM GT-40 EFI engine in it. I just bought the boat. The first thing I did was take it to my local boat shop and had them do a full used boat inspection, which includes an on-lake test drive. I picked the boat up from that on Wednesday. There were no major issues, just needed a new battery and some other small things. I put a new battery in it, filled it with gas and took it to the lake this weekend for the first time. When I put it in the water it didn't start. It cranks over just fine, but won't fire. I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything. My initial thought was a fuse, but is looks like the engine doesn't have fuses, but circuit breakers, which look to be fine. I don't know what could have happened between Wednesday and Sunday, but I'm really at a loss. If anyone has any ideas of things I could try before towing it back to the boat shop, that would be great!

Thanks,
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-26-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear the issue. I had a fuel injection issue from day one when I bought my boat (in 2009) with the same engine and it sounds like a similar problem to your situation. The boat sat for 1-2 years and caused the fuel to get dirty, in the end it ended up clogging my fuel filters and I think I might have had to replace the fuel pump. It took about 3 years to figure out what the problem exactly was, so I am somewhat familiar, but I am not a mechanic by any means.

The first check would be to lift your engine hood and listen as you put the key in and turn it (but do not crank it or turn it over). You should hear a noise that sounds like a dull buzz, it is the sound of the fuel pump. If that sound is not there, either the fuel pump is burnt out or the electric connection has a short. The short would be an easy fix, but if it's burnt out there will need to be a few checks to see if there is a cause of why it burnt out. If it is a clog like I had, you'll need your gas tank cleaned, new fuel filters, and possibly a new fuel pump.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-26-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply, the buzz of the fuel pump is something we did not hear, and thought that we should be hearing but weren't sure. I know with the cars I've worked on, when you turn the key you hear the fuel pump, but I wasn't sure about the boat.

Any suggestions on how to check for a short in the fuel pump wire? I can see where the wires come out of the fuel tank? Also, it's weird that there would be a short that would show up in a couple days of the boat just sitting there, but I guess weirder things have happened.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-26-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
As above, you should hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key on. Before you try to start it. You can do this on dry land without a hose hooked up. It is the fuel pump pressurizing the rails that feed the injectors. I bet your not hearing that noise when you turn the key.

I also bet that if you take a look in that hole where that battery is mounted, that you find that you forgot to hook up one particular wire when you replaced the battery. This wire is loomed in all black but should be connected to (+). It has a large fuse housing thing near the battery connection. (See pic). I left this off once when summerizing the boat and had the same problem. Crank but no fire. This wire serves the "brain" of the motor. Without it, nothing is telling the fuel pump(s) to run.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-26-2014, 9:43 PM Reply   
For clarification: You'll find that large fuse housing and associated wire right by the battery. I've relocated by batteries and perko switch so don't be misled by the picture. Just wanted to show you what wire I was talking about. Better pic here maybe.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-27-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
also check your safety lanyard is in correctly and not works properly. Sometimes its the simple things worth checking too.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-27-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
You are right, we were not hearing the fuel pump pressurizing the system. You were also right that the problem was the wire loomed in black. Because it was BLACK, I hooked it up to the negative battery terminal. I switched it to the positive terminal, checked the fuse (good), and it fired right up. I can't thank you enough, you saved me a trip back to the shop, and who knows how long it would have taken them to figure that out?

Detox, My boat does not have a safety lanyard, do you think it would be wise for me to add one?
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-27-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Lanyard? If you don't know that you don't need one, then maybe you do need one. Hahaahaha. Don't give it another thought. Enjoy your summer on your new boat!!!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-27-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'm curious what everyone's opinion on that would be.: personally I have one but it's never hooked to my body and I don't use it. I don't know anyone that does actually use it. There's plenty reasons to have them ( the turn down for what video of the guy slamming in his speed boat comes to mind) but where I boat the lake never gets that rough and if it does I'm doing 12-15 mph not 100. I wouldn't add one if my boat didn't have it already though.