Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
Here's a few of Blake and Brodie today @ Mendocino.

Blake Cannon
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Brodie Chaboya

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-02-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Nice pics!
Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    walt            12-02-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
There's some better shots of these two guys here http://www.dpcfilms.com/Photos.asp#

Richard,
Thanks for the pulls and the great day.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-02-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
Blake- Lookin' awesome! What board is that?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-03-2006, 1:19 AM Reply   
Good work. Sick stuff right there...
Old    walt            12-03-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
Peter,
I think Blake is riding the HL Drive.
Old    mendo247            12-03-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Yeah i definetly had a blast! its always nice having the whole lake to yourself.. great pics!
Old     (rideit4life)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-03-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Brodie is a SAV for not wearing a dry-suit.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-03-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Nice pics!

Questions for you, Walt:

1. Do you shoot Shutter / Aperture priority or Manual?
2. What do you set your Shutter speed and Aperture to?

Last time out, I took over a 1000 shots trying different settings, but 99% of the shots were crap. Most were are either too dark (shutter speed to fast / aperture too wide?) or properly exposed but with excessive motion blur (shutter speed too slow / aperture too narrow?). I'm still new to photography and having growing pains..

Any pointers/advise would be most appreciated. The body is 30D and the lens mostly 70-200L F4...

thanks much, -Alain.
Old    walt            12-03-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Alain,

When shooting wake stuff I'm always on manual these days but in the past I shot on shutter priority.

I try to keep my shutter speed @ 1000 or higher.

Set your aperture at f/4 (wide open) for a shallow depth of field.

Keep a eye on your light meter and adjust your ISO so you can stay around these settings. It's best to keep the ISO at 100 but you will have to bump it up in low light situations in order to shoot @ a high shutter speed. If it's a nice bright day you will be able to keep the ISO @ 100 and bump up your shutter speed if needed.

Remember to keep the sun @ your back while shooting. Try to shoot in the early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low in the horizon. The first and last couple of hours of light in a day is the best time to shoot.

Shooting at mid day (like these shots) will result in harsh color and shadows.

I hope this helps and feel free to E-mail me if you have any more questions.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-03-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
I'm also switching over from Aperature/shutter priority to Manual settings and it seems to be helping. I was never getting what I wanted with those settings and it was getting quite frustrating. It sure isn't easy as I still consistently shoot like crap... for the most part!

Oh, nice pics Walt
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
Walt im envious of you and your camera. Great shots bro. LETS RIDE Seriously this time. lets get together and set a date. I dont work at all next weekend
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2006, 12:02 AM Reply   
Good Times, Thanks Richard first time behind sanger with more than stock weight and the wake was great, thanks Walt for putting the whole thing together as well as capturing it. Yes Blake is on the 139 Drive and proof bindings.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-04-2006, 1:57 AM Reply   
Thanks, Walt, that's good info, I emailed you one more question.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-04-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Sick pics.... I love Blake's smooth sytle. So fun to watch. Brody's killing it too. The Ole spins are soo dope. Someone buy that boy a wet or dry suit, though. Brrr!