Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (dmontandon)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
Need some advice. How much winterization is required? Our boat is stored in our garage in Lathrop/Manteca CA. Rarely does the temp fall below freezing outside during the winter months.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-07-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Garage stored will not be a problem with our mild temps.

I would change the fluids / filters

Dump some fuel stabilizer in a full tank

Start the engine for a couple minutes to distribute the stabilizer in the fuel lines

I also start it up once a month for 5-10 minutes.
Old     (tory1340)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-07-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Do NOT start the engine for 10-15 minutes once a month. You will cause condensation to form. Since you will shut down the engine before the condensation burns off, you will be leaving moisture in the innards of the engine. This is bad. Put a 1 amp trickle charger on a lamp timer to add an hour charge a few times a week. That'll take care of the battery. The remaining advise is sound.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-07-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Tory,

Good point.I stand corrected.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-07-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
We have never winterized out boats in California. I try to start and warm my boat at least once every January. I usually run it for 15-20 minutes making sure it comes up to full operating temperature and run it at 2000-3000rpm so it will vaporize any condensation that has collected inside. Then I let it cool slowly in the sun, cover it before condensation starts collecting in the evening.