Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
I want one!

GMC Sierra Denali HD 2500 Duramax 6.6L V8
390HP / 735 lb-ft torque
20,000 lbs. tow capacit

"Not even a month ago, at the end of our post on the 2011 Ford Super Duty engine specs, we wrote: "General Motors, there's a big ass ball in your court." Someone at GM has apparently grabbed their big ass racket and said, "Oh, I got this...", then smacked the ball right back into play. The Ford's measurements 390 horsepower, 735 pound-feet of grunt. The General has just announced that its 6.6-liter Duramax turbo diesel has 397 horsepower and 765 lb-ft. of torque, a jump of 32 horsepower and 105 lb-ft. over the previous Duramax."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/g...eas/#continued

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
I wish they would come out with a smaller diesel for the SUV's.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Beasty truck. But, and I'm just gossiping here, isnt GM having some trouble with sales...possibly related to the poor gas mileage from their vehicles...ah whatever, that truck looks sick. Lets tow two X-Stars, or maybe a couple Epics with the ballast full. Just because you can.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I wish they would come out with a smaller diesel for the SUV's.
Definitely with you. I wish there was a diesel option for the Tahoe. A duramax is cool but for families like mine living where parking is a b*$%h, it does not make sense to have a big diesel truck.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
They actually have a 4.5 litre diesel based on the duramax that they have completely tested and is ready to go. There are some implementing factors that are causing them to not install them in 1/2 tons and subs (not sure if the tahoe is supposed to get it)

It puts out like 520 lb ft of torque and over 300 horsepower. Plenty for me.

This new truck is cool, but come on people. NOBODY needs to tow 20000 lbs... - at least not the average family guy with a diesel truck.

Why they are dragging their heels on the smaller diesel I can't understand.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Why they are dragging their heels on the smaller diesel I can't understand.
In the US..... haven't they been selling smaller diesels overseas for some time? Makes no sense to me either. And the fact that diesel is more expensive than gas is just stupid.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you have a toy hauler, you need a truck like this.

Yes, sales are down for GM because nobody wants to buy a truck from the government. GM=government motors. Buy Ford.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I hope that Fords 6.0 problem do not happen with this new motor. had some bad luck with them. i think that i will keep my 7.3
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
That's a nice truck, but it's too bad they'll want $100,000 for it.

/sarcasm.

But yeah, it'll be way overpriced. The Denali is already $50K, add $10K for the Duramax package, then they'll go ahead and add more, then you've got the $2,000 gas guzzler tax.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Perfect for towing a X-80...
Attached Images

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Nice Pic
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Yep, very nice pic. And that payload is a tad bit fatter than the average boat any of us are going to tow.
A Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche or GMC equivalent with a 10k - 12k lb payload would easily do the job, and do it well, for 95% of us. Yet GM continues to swing & miss.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
In the US..... haven't they been selling smaller diesels overseas for some time? Makes no sense to me either. And the fact that diesel is more expensive than gas is just stupid.

Correct, they have been selling quite a few overseas in the last few years. Ford has had a light duty powerstroke out for a while now in Europe. All I really have to say is that if they wanted them over here, they would be readily available. The word diesel around many people, and to most average consumers, brings up the image in their minds of the older, black smoke spewing, noisy motors. I think that opinion has started to change in the last couple of years, but IMO its still probably a good ways off before we see a diesel option in an expedition or tahoe or 1/2 ton truck
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Yep, very nice pic. And that payload is a tad bit fatter than the average boat any of us are going to tow.
A Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche or GMC equivalent with a 10k - 12k lb payload would easily do the job, and do it well, for 95% of us. Yet GM continues to swing & miss.
Bill, Silverdao/Tahoe/Suburban Avalanche or GMC may work for some who tow the smaller wake boats. But for those who pull a Malibu 247 full of gear and 4 people to the lake...nothing compares to a diesel.

I think that most would admit that any half ton chassis truck with a v8 "get's the job done" but I'd rather have something the tow's effortlessly. When towing, diesel outpeforms gas period.

BTW..payload means nothing in terms of power you have when towing. Torque and gears are where the beef is.

We have a lot trucks in Texas and lots are diesels...what about you guys up in Washington. I hear the Toyota Prius is pretty popluar up there.

Last edited by murphy_smith; 03-10-2010 at 2:14 PM.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-10-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ Hehe, tree-hugging Prius-drivers...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Yep, there is some major smug up here in Western Washington. Where Bill is from though is nothing like the Washington everybody from around the country thinks of when you say Washignton State. The Spokane area is conservative and like a desert. Pretty much the polar opposite of Seattle.

Last edited by polarbill; 03-10-2010 at 2:29 PM.
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-10-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
I'll never understand why they keep upping the size and tow rates like that. Why not concentrate on a smaller diesel that will pull a "normal" tow package like 99% of people use them for? How about a smaler diesel that gets awesome milage but only tows 8k lbs? That would be more than enough for the HUGE majority of the towing population.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Come on Murphy. You honestly believe that the 247 size boat is the average among boat owners? I lived near Dallas for 12 yrs & never once owned a 24' boat. We rode on the Brazos and on Grapevine, and while 247s were around occasionally, most boats we ever saw with any regularity were 19' - 21', probably more than half of those towed by 1/2 tons.

You obviously have read what Seattle is like & assume the rest of the state is like that. Probably 60% of the state is about like Texas, desert, wide open, just a little higher in elevation. The Prius doesn't do quite as well here as it would in a city environment.

I agree that most people who tow with a 1/2 ton are barely getting by. The Chevy 5.3 does the job, but there isn't a ton of power to spare. Chevy could very easily put together a mid range diesel for those 1/2 ton trucks that would drag the average wake boat ie; 5000 - 8000 lbs around easily. Maybe a 5.? liter, 300+ hp, 500 - 600 ft/lbs of torque, etc. It could easily get better mileage than the 5.x gas engines used now days & easily tow most average sized boats & RVs without breaking a sweat.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-10-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
I guess that I'm in the minority here but I love the truck. I bought mine to tow everything to the river. I bought before it became government motors and while I still think that the duramax and Alison are the perfect combination (thats all we have at work) it would be hard to buy from them until BO is out of it. The truck is easy to upgrade both the engine and trans and its bullet proof. I am not the causal user though I use the truck for what its meant for towing.
Attached Images

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-10-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
thats sad your vehicle choice is made based on the current president. oh well. Better you then me.
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Wow is it just me or does that look illegal. your a brave man Bryan, not sure I would even want to pull that with a peterbuilt Hope you have some toys under the hood to make that a little more pleasant to pull. Does the boat ever get to whipping around on you?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Illegal??

Thats what a real tow rig is for. Nice setup, Bryan.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-11-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
I agree that its a sad day when politics takes over the free market and I am a free market guy.

My truck has all of the necessary mods not only to get there in comfort but safely. PPE tuner, suncost trans, exhaust brake, brakes on all 12 wheels. My rig tracks like the tram at Disneyland straight and true, I think its because the wheel location allow the pivot points.

But back to the OP these trucks are the way to go for towing and enjoying the toys that we are blessed to have.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
Bryan you must have some serious driving skills. I could see myself jackknifing that thing around the first corner
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-11-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
If they built the 1500 with a diesel I'd be at the dealer this afternoon picking one up. Until then.... I'll continue to drive my F250. I'll sacrifice the ride for the power and mileage anyday. Once you go diesel you never go back. I'm looking for diesel for the wife on the next go-around. I love that they don't lose performance at high altitiude like a gas motor does.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-11-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I love the sounds of that! I cant imagine getting rid of my 06.. But when/if that hits the lot i'll be inline...
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
guido, I completely agree. I sold my 2500HD LBZ Duramax thinking I wanted an M3 and cheap tow rig. Boy was I wrong... I'm now trying to sell my Caddy CTS-V to buy another Duramax. THere's just no comparison.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-11-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
If you have a toy hauler, you need a truck like this.
As much as I would agree that you can't have too much power, I would have to disagree with that. We regularly max out (and then some) our 8.1 liter 3/4 ton sub with a hauler behind it (probably 12-14k lbs) and it never has a problem. We run the grapevine without any trouble.

My thought is the average guy probably never tows more than that, and if the 8.1 gasser can handle it, a smaller diesel than these(huge diesels) could easily do the job. I believe that the torque is 500 on the 8.1. I believe that the 4.5liter duramax would pull nicer, given it is a diesel, but also give you even better fuel economy.

As far as the pic of the doubles...awesome. Nothing like bringing the house to the lake with you! I'm just glad that my lake is 5 minutes from my house...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Love the towing capacity but I don't want a pickup truck.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-11-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Im curious what the cost difference is for diesel fuel vs the MPG now that diesel is higher than gas. In other words are you saving money if you have a diesel truck that gets 15mpg vs the $2.70 (Dallas, TX area) for a gallon of diesel?

I have owned two Power Stroke 7.3L diesels in the past and loved the power but back then diesel was cheaper than regular gas. I'd love to go back to a diesel truck but the cost of ownership outweighs the benefits (for me at least).
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Add in fuel filters and oil changes. Depreciation - Diesels may run forever but the body and interior do not.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Diesel is only about 10-15 cents cheaper then 87 octane in my town. I put 93 octane in almost everything, so diesel is cheaper.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
I wish I could find Diesel for the same price as unleaded around here. Right now Diesel is almost .30 / gal higher than 87. I drive an F250 and love it, but if they would bring out a 1/2 ton with a 300HP diesel in it, that would be my next truck for sure.

Anyone out there listening??...Ford?? GM?? people will buy smaller diesel pickups!
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       03-11-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I love my Duramax and its power when hauling my firth wheel or boat. I also use it as a daily driver, get good mileage and would hate to go back to a gutless gasser. I had mine reprogrammed and that increased my mileage and horsepower significantly. I think to appreciate a diesel you have to own one, I never believed until I owned and towed with one.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-11-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Diesel is still the same price as regular around here.

I don't know if I'll ever recover the cost of the diesel in fuel mileage, but I'm not too worried about it. I like being able tow anything without thinking about it. I also love how effortless a diesel makes everything. These trucks idle up mountains. My old Tahoe was constantly turning 4500 rpms screaming. The purring diesel is so much more relaxing to drive.

Plus my wife knows when I'm coming from down the street. I haven't caught her boyfriend at the house yet.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
When I ordered my 8.1 Suburban 10 years ago, the salesman said " you should wait till next year, their coming out with a Duramax Suburban! " I thought to myself "I won't hold my breath, heard that before"

hahaha fast forward ten years... Still waiting, GM are you listening???

I would die for a 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax Sub , I think there would be a huge market for them, from horse people, to travel trailer people, to off road buggy/dirt bike people, to boat people.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-11-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
DuraBurb TowPro Duramax 2500HD Suburban

This guy in FL dose perfect seamless conversions and the Escalade he did was incredible and under $ 60K
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6358&viewitem=
Here is the whole thread on DP
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=331305
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
Wow Bryan!
That is awesome! I may just look into this option if I ever wear out my big block...( It only has 191,000 miles on it now, so it could be a while yet ;-)

If this one was white, I might even consider going to Florida to pick it up! That is one sweet truck, maybe even more fun to have one that is not available at any dealer
Name:  diesel burb.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  87.7 KB
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-21-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Diesel is only about 10-15 cents cheaper then 87 octane in my town. I put 93 octane in almost everything, so diesel is cheaper.
Why do you put 93 in everything? To waste money? You want to run the minimum recommended octane that doesn't cause pinging/pre-detonation. If your car/truck requires regular unleaded and you're running premium, you're wasting your money.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Diesel is cheaper than regular in the Canyon Lake area.

My '08 Duramax gets better mileage than the '05 5.3 Z71 Suburban did.

The Duramax out tows the Suburban big time.

My toyhauler would push the Suburban around through the corners (highway 79/78), truck has no such issues.

If this were posted in a toyhauler forum no one would be talking about small diesels in SUV's.

We use ours. I will never go back to gas for towing.
Old     (Robatl)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
I personally think that a diesel tahoe or suburban would be perfect. currently towing with a 3.0L turbo diesel jeep grand cherokee and it gets the job done for sure. towing capacity is 7400lbs and thats plenty to tow a decent size wake boat but really a 1500 or 2500 size chevy SUV would be a lot more pleasing to drive with a trailer. BMW and Mercades also make smaller diesel SUV's as well.
Old     (Robatl)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention the jeep gets 20mpg city and 25 highway without a trailer still draging the boat around just fine. diesel is where its at.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-24-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
any idea when these will be available? looking for a new truck.

also, whats the difference between a denali and non denali? looks like you could get the same engine/drive train a'11 2500hd non denali.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-26-2010, 3:46 AM Reply   
Dizzy, I was wondering the same thing. The engine is just the newest version of the Duramax. All the options are available on the SLT version that I see available for the Denali. I too am curious as to whether anything is exclusive to the Denali version.