Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'm looking at a replacement scenario of a failed packing gland. Any opinions on dripless packing systems versus the old standard?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
I have had both, and dripless is the way to go if you have the chance. It is water lubricated, self adjusting and I have never had to do any maintenance on a dripless.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-29-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Watercooled drippless setup.

http://ojprops.com/products/shaft_seals

Comes as a stock option on malibu's.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
Drip less is the way to go. If installed properly, I would say there are no downsides.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have had all good experiences with these http://www.shaftseal.com/product_categories/300000001
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
My only concern was failure and sinking.

I think this is more of a possibility with dripless than traditional systems although I've never heard of a dripless failure. I have also heard complaints about (salt)water being thrown from drip systems.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-29-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
I prefer not having the drips
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-29-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about getting one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-V-DRIVE-1-SHAFT-SEALED-BEARING-LOG-SEAL-DRAG-BOAT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQh ashZitem35a216e4d3QQitemZ230352676051QQptZBoatQ5fP artsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

My neighbor knows the guy who makes them and has one on his boat and hasn't had any problems at all. Completely eliminates having to make any adjustments which i'm hating right now with my current shaft log.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Give the guys at Discount Inboard Marine a call.... http://www.skidim.com

They have a "virtually dripless" setup that costs like $12. It's made from Goretex & been recommended by everyone I've talked to who has used it. Basically tighten it down & stop worrying about it. I've bought it, but have yet to install it.... I decided I'd rather ride than do that for now. Probably in the off season.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
I worry about bearings because of my salt water use.

I've heard the key on the goretex is to make sure you maintain some water dripping, just like the standard packing system, as a lubricant because you can score the shaft.

So far I'm thinking of going with the PSS becasue of the long list of manufactures that use their system.

FYI this is going on my twin inboard used 100% in salt and often 20+ miles offshore.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-30-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
Bill, let me know when you get ready to change it...I did it on my 04. Built a couple of wrenches and learned a few tricks along the way!!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2009, 4:27 AM Reply   
Yea, the PSS system is genius. It makes you wonder why anyone even bothers with other designs. If you don't know how it works, watch their little video.

There are cases in large yachts where you can not have a straight shaft and you need a "no play" packing like the OJ solution, but in a wakeboat situation it only makes alignment more of an issue.

I have seen 1 case in my life of a PSS leaking. It was due to a scratch in the Ceramic. The customer cleaned out the bottom of his boat the prior summer and and had major fiberglass repair and all new underwater gear. The shop that did the repair did not replace the PSS, but instead used the old one, which I believe they scratched and reinstalled. It caused a small spring leak that the customer had be fix a year later.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-31-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
The PSS system is great, IF you have the room to adjust it. It requires about 6.5 - 7" of clearance.

The PSS system WAS NOT designed for Tournament Inboard ski-boats! I know this because a few years ago I switched over to this and had nothing but problems with leaking b/c there is no room under my V-drive to adjust it properly. I switched to the OJ version (requires 4.5" clearance) and have not had a single drop in 40 hours.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Sweet. I'm gonna take you up on that Greg. Probably wait till the weather cools off & we're not using the boats as much though.