Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-07-2017, 8:00 PM Reply   
I have just over 25 hours on my 257. So far the boat is AMAZING! I moved to the Centurion from back to back 24 MXZ's. So I still have some learning to do, and am not an expert on ALL things CENTURION. I did tour the factory while it was being built, and am convinced this thing is a TANK!

The obvious thing is it is big, really big, and heavy. I would not consider one if you do not have an HD truck.

Favorite things.
The wave. The wave is incredible, so much push, along the entire length of the wave. The lip is very firm, and defined.
Adjustibilty- this is where my newness comes in. So far I can create giant barrels, or long glassy waves, and most things in between. I have not been able to create a super flat skim wave yet. I am sure it's possible, I just haven't got there yet. I also ride surf style so very low on the priority list.

Quiet - I have the silent stinger, this is the exhaust feeding into center waveplate, it is by far the quietest boat we have ever owned.

Dry ride - this boat has crazy amounts of freeboard and observer is tucked nicely behind the windshield. So it is a very dry ride. Additionally even bad driving does not take water over the bow, I have tried ruining intentionally into my own wave, and still dry!

Interior- vinyl is top notch, it cleans up well, and looks great. It does get HOT in the sun. Gatorstep, this is my first boat with gatorstep and I love it, I added it to the seat bases as well and the finished look is fantastic. The quality of materials is great, the amount of billet finishing touches is very nice witjout being over done.

Stereo - this is an all or nothing option, because downfire ties cabin into the tower, etc. You either get a stereo or you don't. Good news is factory stereo is REALLY good (after you remove the stickers and adjust your amps). Everything, sub, tower speakers, LED, zone control works very well, and sound quality will please 95%. It's night and day better than factory Rockford I was used to.

Dash - The side by side is very nice, having on board diagnostics is great, (I hope I never need them). GPS mapping is standard, the nice thing here is maps are up high, so it's easier to follow, before they were down low and not easy to read. Everything is fairly intuitive, and simple. The only downside is the software is not great, although there is an update coming soon that will address some of the idiosyncrasies.

Ballast - The 257 is the undisputed heavyweight. She has a dry weight of 6150, and max ballast of 6250! (Documentation says 5650) The factory just upgraded all 3 rear bags by 200 pounds each for an extra 600 pounds!
So you get transom bag, rear locker bags, center bag/tank (sunfloor), and bow bag. Each location has it's very own dedicated reversible pump. So fill/drain time is 5 minutes! Except for the greatest thing ever, RAM FILL, Centurion quotes 45 seconds, it's really sub 30 on the 257 due to larger vents, and 21MPH fill.

Bimini and sliding seat. I ordered the XL sewlong bimini, this thing is HUGE, it covers almost the entire cabin area. I am in AZ so on 115 degree days bimini coverage is a must. This is also where the sliding seat is awesome. Instead of simply flipping the rear seat and staying in the back. This seat will be able to move back towards the driver, and into the shade. Additionally you can order the seats as modules. So you can have rear facing seat AND full bench! I ordered a second bench but it is not here yet.

On to some pics.... last photo is comparison to 24 MXZ wave

Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2017, 6:28 AM Reply   
Nice!!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2017, 3:42 PM Reply   
That set up looks drop dead sexy. My buddy just got his Ri257 and has not had it in the water yet. Excited to get a day on the water with him.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-08-2017, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
That set up looks drop dead sexy. My buddy just got his Ri257 and has not had it in the water yet. Excited to get a day on the water with him.
Thank you, definitely get out with him, the wave is so different than any thing else out there.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-08-2017, 5:38 PM Reply   
Nice ride sir. Looks like a great wave
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-08-2017, 5:43 PM Reply   
DIGGS, "your buddy" said "tough **** bub" Keep ridin swol on that skin wave.

SICK setup Darkside! Can't wait to get my 257 dialed . I don't think it's gonna take much. We'll have to share our findings.

Last edited by Alleykat; 04-08-2017 at 5:45 PM.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-08-2017, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
DIGGS, "your buddy" said "tough **** bub" Keep ridin swol on that skin wave.

SICK setup Darkside! Can't wait to get my 257 dialed . I don't think it's gonna take much. We'll have to share our findings.
Absolutely, you can get a BAD ASS wave right out of the box. I am just new tho the helmet, so learning to use CATs, etc has a learning curve.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2017, 8:26 PM Reply   
Darkside,

Sweet sweet boat!

have i seen you out at Sagauro near Mesa az?
Boat Looks familiar...
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-08-2017, 8:29 PM Reply   
Very possible, saguaro is my winter/weekday choice. I don't go on weekends anymore, too crowded already
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2017, 9:11 PM Reply   
Your crew looks satisfied which is what matters. Great boat!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2017, 5:09 AM Reply   
beautiful boat, love the interior color combo! what does a beast like this go for, ballpark?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-09-2017, 7:43 AM Reply   
Big Boat=Big wave!!! Nice pics and love the gator deck under seats and walk through emblem!! That pig is probably around 140 out the door after discounts and fees....
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       04-09-2017, 8:09 AM Reply   
That picture of the wake at speed isn't full ballast is it? Surf wave looks amazing though.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-09-2017, 5:05 PM Reply   
CP that was empty and just under 22 MPH. I don't wakeboard but took that pic anyway. So it will get much bigger, I have heard you ride these shorter than other boats because of the steepness of the wake, and it develops a curl.
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       04-09-2017, 9:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
CP that was empty and just under 22 MPH. I don't wakeboard but took that pic anyway. So it will get much bigger, I have heard you ride these shorter than other boats because of the steepness of the wake, and it develops a curl.
That makes sense. Would love to see the wakeboard wake with full ballast if you ever get a chance. Boat looks amazing either way. Great choice on colors. Congrats!!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2017, 8:50 AM Reply   
Saw a bunch of your pictures on IG. Nice set up for sure!
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-09-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanner View Post
That makes sense. Would love to see the wakeboard wake with full ballast if you ever get a chance. Boat looks amazing either way. Great choice on colors. Congrats!!
We rarely wakeboard, next time i go out i will get a couple pics even if we dont have a rider... we never run full ballast wakeboarding, its just too much. Even with ballast empty we are 9000 pounds so wake is big! If we add any weight it is usually just rear PNP, we dont even fill rams.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2017, 11:00 PM Reply   
Wait. What? 9000 empty? Wow! What's the dry weight? Are the surf pics you posted empty? Got any more pics of the surf wake? Awesome colors, btw.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-10-2017, 6:54 AM Reply   
"For example, the Ri257 weighs 6,150 lbs. without ballast. The Ram Fill ballast system loads 2,600 lbs. of water in just 45 seconds, thanks to the air vents on the hull sides which allow the displaced air to evacuate quickly. Those vents also act as the spillover valves when the tanks are full. The optional plug-and-play ballast system adds another 2,000 lbs. for a total of 10,750 lbs. of weight."
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-10-2017, 7:01 AM Reply   
Yeah 6150 dry, 100 gallons of fuel, 700 pounds, 1000 pounds of lead, your cooler, gear, etc, your over 8000 pounds before people get in board!
I am the goofy rider in these 6'2 300 pound guy for size reference.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-10-2017, 7:22 AM Reply   
joe that's awesome!!! not to many big guys out there. I started at 315. Never could go ropeless for more then a minute until I got the chaos ringer, I am testing for the first time doomswell this weekend at our surf fest. I also look forward to seeing the bigger waves, our boats are older so not as big so I been told. What board you riding?
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-10-2017, 7:23 AM Reply   
Ram fills they post at 45 seconds, but @20mph it is sub 30 seconds to fill. So ~2600 for ram fill, 900's in each rear locker, 700 transom bag, and 750 center tank. So almost 6000 pounds of water ballast!
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-10-2017, 7:34 AM Reply   
That is a 4' 10" soulcraft. My size is what has dictated my desire for better wave. Granted i could (should) lose some weight but sub 250 is not good for me. The board helps a lot, i can ride ropeless with most waves, it just limits my "pocket". Its not just size of the wave its the Push/power of the wave. I like the RI because the wave has so much power/push, and its so firm that it doesn't crumble under me.

The green board is a Sleigh, also 4'10" and it is a fantastic "big boy" board! I can ride all the way back into the curl and just stand there, no pumping, just a slight lean and it takes off.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-11-2017, 10:17 AM Reply   
How was your experience with the Ringer XL? I'm a 300lb dude and just got one.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-17-2017, 1:31 PM Reply   
For bigger guys the sleigh seams to work better. It is very fast, so helps when riding smaller waves. The soulcraft is a bit more responsive, but does not have the drive the sleigh does, you really need to work the Soulcraft.
http://www.sleighboards.com/store/p5...ro_4%2711.html