Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (riverman)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8CN0aEDpo

Check it out!
Attached Images

Old    SamIngram            05-23-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
Nice boat...

But the guy in the video is an A#*hole! This why we have every dumb@*s at my is lake riding on the back of the boat. Why can't these people display proper safety techniques. It's going to be a great video when they capture the boat hitting a roller and the guy on the back falling off and catching the board in the head. Fun for all!

Yup, it's no wonder that all the Army Corps lakes are requiring life jackets while underway. With idiots like this, it makes sense.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-23-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Hopefully I'll see this one in person sometime. Bow thruster ...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-23-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Beautiful boat, like it.

Sam, which guy is being an a-hole?
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
That's the most beautiful boat I've ever seen! Unbelievable!
Old    SamIngram            05-23-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
I think both of these guys are about as dumb as can be. They are setting a GREAT example. This is why people think it is acceptable to do this crap. This why people get hurt and we have boat collisions. The driver should at least be looking forward and the guy riding on the back is just looking to get a board in the head.
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-23-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat... not sure I'd pay $250K for it, though. But I guess there's a market for it or they wouldn't have built it.

Sam is not the only one noticing safety violations. The video is full of them.
  • check out the driver while they are surfing... he leaves the captains chair and moves over to the surf side. he also turns around to watch the surfer. you can clearly see that nobody is monitoring the throttle and nobody is watching in front of the boat. idiots.
  • the rider is not wearing a life jacket in any of the video... surfing or wakeboarding. just a wet suit.
  • and the one that bothers me the most... small children in the boat not wearing life jackets

Happy boating!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-23-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
I would like to see more on the construction of this Boat.

What I dont understand is WHY Stand Craft would copy the shape of a existing design.
I love the way their wood boats look. I was thinking all the trouble and cost of a wood boat to have it look like a fiberglass boat.

To me it looks like a Bu with a "Wood Wrap" and thats just wrong. IMO the classic wood boat you would never mistake it for a fiberglass boat.

I love the blend of Old school looks with New school running gear ect. I can think of a bunch more designs that would be so cool as a cross over wake/classic wood boat.

RetroFridge(phil) where is the Link to that wood boat company you were working with, They had some Amazing shapes
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       05-23-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Saetta Classic Boats
www.saettaboats.com

This boat is by far the smoothest, best overall performing boat that I have ever had the chance to drive.
Old     (riverman)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
Check out www.stancraftboats.com we have a few more designs than just Wicked....this was just a fun project to take on....
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
Safety Sam! On an empty lake who cares.
Old    SamIngram            05-23-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
Safety Sam! On an empty lake who cares.
So if the guy falls off and the boarder hits him in the face big deal?

If the rider drowns no big deal?

If the driver runs it on shore who cares...
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-23-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
Sam, it's their risk to assume. I don't want to be subject to asinine laws like wearing a PFD at all times because someone is hanging his legs over the gunnel while surfing. Their life, their choice.

As for the boat... I love wood boats, but I think the lines on this one are pretty darn ugly. As for newer inboards that look good in wood, I think the Nautique Paragon takes the cake. Of course it's not really wood, but rather a fiberglass hull with a wood deck and floor.
Old    SamIngram            05-23-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Sam, it's their risk to assume. I don't want to be subject to asinine laws like wearing a PFD at all times because someone is hanging his legs over the gunnel while surfing. Their life, their choice.

As for the boat... I love wood boats, but I think the lines on this one are pretty darn ugly. As for newer inboards that look good in wood, I think the Nautique Paragon takes the cake. Of course it's not really wood, but rather a fiberglass hull with a wood deck and floor.
I'm sure everyone that sees that video automatically notices that the lake is empty.

It is not their life, their choice. If I am at the same lake and they run into me or anyone else who is to blame? If someone sees this and goes out does the same thing at their local crowded lake...

Also you say that you don't want to be subject to asinine laws like wearing a PFD at all times... how do you think these laws get enacted? People see stupid stuff on the internet and do stupid stuff. They don't know any better because no one told them. A couple of people die and property gets damaged, people sue, and viola, you have a new asinine law.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-23-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Sam, I was referring to the guy hanging his legs over the side. That's his life and his choice, so long as the owner of the boat tolerates it. The driver standing up and turning around is not cool. That is dangerous to other boaters and illegal, if Coasties were watching he'd be cited for it. That's why they make mirrors.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-23-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
since we are threadjacking....

life vests--- why do we get all bent out of shape when an ADULT decides to forgo a PFD when they are wake surfing, but it doesnt even move the needle when an ocean goer jumps on waves of any size without a PFD?

riding on the sundeck---why do we get all bent out of shape when an ADULT rides on the sun deck when there are boats intentionally built flat and open that require their captains and passengers to ride in much more precarious positions and situations.

point is that we are adults and as such we know there are risks associated with our behaviors. there are those who chose to play stupid to that, are extremely litigious, dont take responsibility and force our local political heroes to legislate our adult decision making process out of us. you cant legislate stupid out of people...you have a limited amount of laws, and they have an unlimited amount of stupid. guess which runs out first?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-23-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
Adults not wearing vests while surfing is one thing...

Adults not wearing vests while boarding is just plain stupid. If you crash and black out head down in the water, then what?? It could happen in an instant. Remember this... http://chadsharpe.blogspot.com/2009/12/not-so-fun.html

And what about the kids??? Am I the only one who thinks having two young children in the boat w/out vests is completely irresponsible? As long as we're on the safety topic, why is nobody outraged by that?

Driver out of seat on wrong side of boat + Driver facing backwards + Observer on sub pad + Wakesurfer w/out life vest + Wakeboarder w/out life vest + TWO KIDS W/OUT LIFE VESTs = Epic Fail.

Sorry StanCraft... that's like 6 strikes against you in a 6 minute video.

It's not like this is some dumb guy's home video. IT WAS MADE AS A PROMOTIONAL VIDEO BY A BOAT COMPANY FOUNDED IN 1933!!!

Empty lake my ass. Stop apologizing for them. No excuses.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-23-2011, 9:38 PM Reply   
Wasn't this thread about a boat???

Some of you guys need to realize that Lake Coeur d' Alene is a massive lake. The parts they were boating on is 1-3 miles wide! The driver could take a nap before he hit shore. I know they weren't dealing with boat traffic...the water is still only 50 degrees, there is only a couple people crazy enough to be in that water..obviously these guys. The guy riding on the back...well we do it too. In Idaho we don't have to worry about them passing a law because someone farted the wrong direction....that's why we live here!

Little kids without PFD...now that's a no-no!

At least we finally found a boat more expensive than a Mastercraft.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_hillbilly View Post
Wasn't this thread about a boat???

Some of you guys need to realize that Lake Coeur d' Alene is a massive lake. The parts they were boating on is 1-3 miles wide! The driver could take a nap before he hit shore. I know they weren't dealing with boat traffic...the water is still only 50 degrees, there is only a couple people crazy enough to be in that water..obviously these guys. The guy riding on the back...well we do it too. In Idaho we don't have to worry about them passing a law because someone farted the wrong direction....that's why we live here!Little kids without PFD...now that's a no-no!

At least we finally found a boat more expensive than a Mastercraft.

Hahahahahaha
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-23-2011, 10:28 PM Reply   
My kids wear life jackets on my boat period and they can both out swim me, but the law in Idaho is:

Children 14 years of age or younger, on board vessels 19 feet or less, must wear an approved life jacket when the vessel is underway.

Otherwise the life jackets just have to be on the boat:
All recreational vessels must have at least one Type I, II, or III personal flotation device (life jacket) that is U.S. Coast Guard—approved and of the proper size for each person on board or being towed. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.

As for the guy wakesurfing:
Each person being towed behind a vessel must wear a U.S. Coast Guard—approved personal flotation device.

Here is a link to the rules regarding PFDs in Idaho:
http://www.boat-ed.com/id/handbook/pfds.htm

As for sitting on the sun deck I will choose to invoke my 5th amendment rights.

This time of year there isn't much traffic out on Lake Coeur d'Alene because of the temp and because of all the crap floating in the lake right now. I know I won't be putting mine in up at Priest until the water comes back down.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
That boat looks to be 23'+ so wouldn't apply to them though right?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
SAM!!!! I just watched some videos of some guys tricking out on skateboards at www.theberrics.com

These guys were not wearing helmets! Now all the A#*hole and dumb@*s kids riding in my neighborhood aren't wearing helmets either! What should I do?
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-24-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Thats one beatiful boat but I'd rather just buy a LSV or 247 and put a wrap on it that looks like wood and save the extra $100+k
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Seriously, if you are on a big, open lake WHO CARES if you turn around to watch the rider from time to time. Shesh, that is just ging overboard with the "safety". And I always use a vest surfing, but like everyone said, ocean surfers don't wear one, I don't think there is anythign more to depate on that one.

And sitting on the sun pad while surfing, well we do that sometimes as well. BIG deal, the boat is going 10.

That boat is just a work of art through and through. How rich does a guy have to be to buy one of those!
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
lets approach the safety argument from a different angle:

do you care if an ADULT you dont know (removing personal attachment) likes to eat cheeseburgers and gets fat? what if they are in to juggling knives and cut there hand? what if they are into swinging and catch an STD?

all of those above are ADULTS capable of making decisions based on consequence. it is their right to do so. it is your responsibility as a parent to prepare you children for the responsibility of choice, and if you dont, we soon will have no choices to make. just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean i need and/or want you to legislate yourself in to my kitchen, gameroom, or bedroom (respectively). as long as it doesnt adversly affect my liberties or my wallet, i couldnt care less what you do.

surfers have been surfing in the ocean without life jackets for at least 5 minutes more than we have been surfing behind boats. i would imagine that more surfers die of drowning than any inland tow boat sport. when they die doing what they love, their passion is celebrated by a paddle out. when a wake surfer dies, some people demand that the nanny state government we live in insert itself further into our lives to protect us from ourselves. i will pass....

Last edited by tdc_worm; 05-24-2011 at 2:57 PM.
Old    SamIngram            05-24-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hey - I don't need eight bazillion lectures on the consequences of my own actions and personal accountability - I read von Mises every morning and am probably the biggest conservative libertarian on this entire forum.

The problem with everyone's argument that has been posted is that we don't have federal, and (in most) states, laws on the books regarding skateboarding, eating hamburgers, or surfing. We do have both federal laws and state laws on boating though. The video probably breaks at least 6 AZ laws where I live and at least 4 ID laws that I can quickly research. You have to police your own hobby otherwise someone else who thinks they know better will!

How do you think we end up with Federal and State laws regarding surfing behind the boat, wakes, and wearing a life jacket? Why don't boats come from the factory with shower anymore? We have them because some dumbass did something stupid and someone either saw them and judged them, saw them and emulated them and got hurt/killed, or got sued.

Just this year on Army Corps lakes you now have to wear a life jacket when in any boat and underway, everyone! Flying tubes are outlawed. Many lakes have rules against wake enhancing devices. Many lakes, like Lake Havasu have STRICT noise level rules. WHY?

Because people were doing stupid things and people either got hurt/killed or someone assumed they would and they created a law to ban it. Therefore, before another damn law is created to stop me from doing things that I love, when you see stupid behavior CALL IT OUT!

You can argue and make all the comparisons you want, but what they did in the marketing video was just plain stupid!! Someone made the argument that the water was so cold no one used the lake. Ok, now lets imagine dumbass on the back of the boat falling off, or his kids jumping in. What happens? They get freaking cold, that is what happens and they could go in to shock and sink/die. Another person stated that there were logs and other debris in the water, what happens when the driver isn't paying attention and hits a log? He can't kill the throttle because he is now on the floor. The video is just plain stupid. The guy surfing is an idiot!

Police your own sport/hobby before someone else does. I understand the consequences of my own actions and personal accountability, but will everyone who sees that stupid video? Educate people on the proper techniques and existing law.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
Is someones panties on to tight today???
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-24-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
I didn't know about the corps lake life jacket while underway thing. I heard something about it last year but didn't realize that actually happened. If so, I'll be cancelling my trip to Hartwell this year and won't be buying a vacation house of on the lake. Sucks for me, but I'd imagine it sucks more for the local economy there as they won't get that tax revenue from me, the local businesses won't get anything from me, etc. So be it. I'll look elsewhere so as not to be subject to asinine laws.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
Hey, come visit the hooligan filled but PDF free Idaho! But, when your done visiting, PLEASE go home!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-24-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
SamIngram dude, chill. You're sounding like most dudes wifes/mothers. A guy will see the beauty in something and a woman will see everything wrong with it. Man up dude. and that's a wrap for the next Miller Lite commercial.
Old    SamIngram            05-24-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
KD,
I have 281 acres in Boundary County, Idaho and take a lot of cherry, walnut, and oak out of there.

I would venture to guess you don't know what a hooligan is... But one of the guys living on the property named his kid Randy Weaver...

If you want to keep your state laws the way they are then call these idiots out. Otherwise, some lawyer running for office will try to save you by creating or lobbying for a nice new law.
Old    SamIngram            05-24-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
Beauty in a woman is like a ring in a pigs snout...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
so your idea of libertarianism is censor your rights and the rights of others to keep the gov't out of your business? how is living in fear of your govt working out for you?

maybe i am naive, but i would rather encourage adults to make differences with whom they elect rather than encouraging them live in fear of their government.

and there is no problem with not having a federal law regarding surfing without a life jacket or eating a cheeseburger. the problem is that there are laws that are nothing more than revenue generators for local and state governments created under the auspices that the nanny state political heros have your best interests in mind.

and just for reference, you can surf by the lake police in TX, w/o a life jacket, while drinking a man soda. i have never been bothered by the man for going vestless, with or without a handle in my hand.
Old    SamIngram            05-24-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
You are wrong...
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
KD,
I have 281 acres in Boundary County, Idaho and take a lot of cherry, walnut, and oak out of there.

I would venture to guess you don't know what a hooligan is... But one of the guys living on the property named his kid Randy Weaver...

If you want to keep your state laws the way they are then call these idiots out. Otherwise, some lawyer running for office will try to save you by creating or lobbying for a nice new law.
Hooligan: Slang a rough lawless young person
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hooligan

No, I think that was a proper application for this thread. I'm not sure what Randy Weaver has to do with this thread, and I'm SURE people don't want me to get into what happened....what REALLY happened.

Yeah, that lawyer running for office is another "out of stater" trying to SAVE us....from US! Native Idahoans think the idiot is the Lawyer.

Where in Boundary County do you find a lot of Walnut, Cherry and Oak??? Not exactly your typical North Idaho trees? It will not be long before that lawyer will keep you from cutting down those trees.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
You are wrong...
Brevity is key...but in the spirit of sharing ideas and growing intellectually, "you are wrong" may be a little too succinct. you have an opportunity to correct my false information, educate us all and you are blowing it, hahaha....

i actually think we both want less government intrusion. i think our approaches are both different. i am guessing that you want us to protect our liberties by only doing that which you perceive to be responsible and morally and socially acceptable. i want to protect my liberties by keeping the government from thinking it has the responsibility to protect me from myself.

i dont want to have to police you from hurting yourself. as a matter of fact, if you know the consequences of water, then i believe you have the right to risk your well being, so long as it doesnt endanger mine or my bank account. that is what makes the skateboard, ocean surfing, and burger king arguments analogous (although, you can make the argument that obesity ends up costing us all more, especially with the ever looming govt take over of health care). my being involved in high risk behaviors is none of your business unless you are picking up the bill.

i do think that people have a reasonable expectation that their life, liberty, and property are protected. to that end, i believe that waterfront homeowners have a right to be concerned about my wakes destroying the shorelines they pay taxes on and my music disturbing the peace they desire in their retreats.
Old    SamIngram            05-25-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
I was on my iPhone and didn't want to type a bunch.

Everyone has a responsibility to preserve their rights, this includes stopping people of from abusing a right and doing something that will potentially lead to the infringement of that right. Anyhow, I think that we should police our own sport and call it out when people are doing something obviously stupid. I may not have the right or even the desire to stop these idiots from what they do are doing, but IMO I have the responsibility to call out their stupidity and help others recognize that the actions that they are portraying in the video are wrong and unsafe. To each his own I guess.

K.D. Amos,
We bought the old Osterhout farm just off 95 before the 1 turn off, 528 acres in all and have 281 left. The original Osterhout owner came from Holland and was a botanist. He planted almost every tree imaginable all over Idaho. The Idaho English Walnut is some of the most sought after in the world due to the figure and coloring which is caused by soils there. We have American, English, Claro and some Black Walnut. The English trees are probably the most rare and are almost all gone. This year we planted 300 English Walnuts, probably 50 Claro, and 200 more American and Black. We just started in the lumber business about three years ago and have been like gang busters. We buy the land, select cut certain trees, plan a bunch more, and either develop or sell off whatever commercial type land that we don't need.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-25-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Can't we all just get along and agree that wakesurfing ruins EVERYTHING? A beautiful boat, the water on the lake, and even the peace and quiet tranquility of a wakeworld discussion board.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-25-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
When is Spring gonna get here? Geez
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-26-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
When is Spring gonna get here? Geez
what, you mean you havent been riding yet? haha. its all in good fun and talking about helps us make smart, informed decisions. the probelm with message boards (and texting, etc) is the wrong emotions are always read in to posts...unless you like to add those smiley things hahaha....