Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dgreene)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-06-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
I have a 08 210 SAN and was wondering if there is a better surf boat out there. If weighted right is this about as good as it gets. We are surfing alot more than wakeboarding so was wondering if there is a better boat out there, have never owned anything but CC. Thanks
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       07-06-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Malibu 247 or Centurion Enzo 240 with a Switchblade

both great boats.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-06-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
if you want to surf both sides the best I have seen is the new Supreme V226, the same guy that designed the centurion Enzo stepped it up on this one, a little shorter than the 230, same width , and a deeper V hull, check out the wave pics on onlyinboards.com , great reviews from all of the pro riders that got to test ride at wake9 in May.
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyWheelhouse View Post
Malibu 247 or Centurion Enzo 240 with a Switchblade

both great boats.
How about a 247 with the blade??
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
The enzo and the 247 have very different hulls. To answer the original question, most boats can throw good-great waves if you have enough weight and spend time dialing it in. Stanley, has the best dialed malibu wave I have seen. What side do you surf? What's your buget? I know Chris with Shred Stixx surfs a San it throws a great wave. How is your boat weighted? My buddy owns the same boat as you and stock ballast the wave is tiny.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I would steer clear of the malibu, from reading on here and a few other sites It always seem the guys surfing bu's have trouble dialing the wave in and have to add far more weight than everyone else.

The "surf" centurion is just a sticker, boat is not designed for surfing, none of them are "designed" to only be surf boats besides adding the sideswipe exhaust. Shredstixx team boat is a centurion and they get a bomb wave.

The SAN 240? or 230? the bigger one, that has that little plate that slides up and down, would probably make a pretty decent wave, it seems wider and the V is huge. Test em out, just know you will end up adding lots of weight to whatever you buy.

Tige's seem to have the best wave from what I've been reading, not that im biased or anything You can still get a quality wave with 400# rear locker and 200# up front. TAPS really helps keep the wave clean, and when you do sack it out you get an insane wave with a nice lip and a significant barrel and the taps keeps it clean. Most of the big surfers on the site/in the community ride behind a tige. Surdad is a tige man as well.

Basically, If you have a pretty deep V, and you add a lot of weight, you will have a quality wave. I dont like the wedge/switchblade, in theory I think it would hurt the surf wave because of the direction of its forces, combined with the shape of a boat. your trying to weight one side down, and the wedge/plate is pulling down from the middle, which will counter some of the force from ballast on one side. <-- just a theory. I have no proof. makes sense tho doesnt it?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Tige RZ2
Old     (dgreene)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have plenty of weight i guess i just need to take the time to play with it. I usually run the stock ballast plus i have another 400lbs bag in back on top of the hard tank with center tank full and put about 300lbs upfront. The boat has 6 extra bags plumbed in to stock ballast plus i have 2 extra 400lbs bags i could use. i surf on the drivers side. Thanks for all the help.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Centurion Enzo and Avalanche were designed for surfing. I talk to the head designer every once and a while. They were the first to focus on surfing, and other manu's are now playing catch up. If they had designed the hull for wakeboarding it would have looked more like a san, mastercraft etc... hull. The Enzo is still the best wave out, it's not really something you can argue. All the pros basically say the same thing. That the Enzo is king. You can get a competition level wave easily on the port side. It has drawbacks, like it's tough to get a good wave on both sides. The guys over at wakeoutlaws have a malibu that they surf and it has a great wave on both sides. Dennis on here has a sanger v215 and his wave is amazing! Here is a picture of my avalanche wave at 12 mph, I am running a 1500 pound sac, center tank 250, transom sac, 200+ and 2 people in the boat. Pretty freaking huge! I think the new tige boats are awesome. Def would make my top 3.
Attached Images

Old     (dgreene)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Is that sac on the plateform itself. have not thought of that. how much does that bag weight. Thanks looks like lots of fun.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
The Sanger V215 is a great wakesurf boat. All the ballast is hidden. Great on both sides with the same amount of ballast.
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-07-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
Duffy and anyone else please chim in, are you speaking with Tim Lopes that is now with Supreme and designed the V226 that is being built in Calibria's factory, Calibria and Sanger are gone, everyone at wake9 liked the Tige but were blown away by the Supreme V226 at 10 grand less and my personal taste with Centurion's Nascar loud sideswipe @ $900 dealer cost, it only upsets neighbors, no need for it, just go with a Cat engine for next to zero CO2. I will point out a few things / reasons that I did not go with another avalanche or Enzo, the new towers are a foot and a half above the windshield when folded down, not going into the garage, the towers are wire pinchers also but they look cool. There is also a problem with feedback from the MB Quartz head unite and the new PCM screen system, it's all all new so give it a little time but i would say go with a Sony head unite or anything else to aviod that new glitch if you must get a new Centurion.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
Drew, Sanger is not gone by any means. I setup the Supreme and the Tige's for the Wakesurf Festival. Both boats make remarkable wakes. The Tige's are ready to go as a wakesurf boat. Nothing I would change except the stock ballast was not as big as it can be. The Supreme needs some fine tuning in the design and layout too make it right as a surf boat IMO. I do believe that, after a few changes, the Supreme has room for a very large Enzo style sac. The Tige and the Supreme are both somewhat sensitive to front / back distribution of weight.
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
..... just go with a Cat engine for next to zero CO2......
Cats do not reduce CO2. They help to reduce unburnt hydrocarbons and to convert CO to CO2, therefore creating more CO2 than non-cat engines.....just saying.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Tige 24V with Enzo sack. I've seen nothing better !
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2010, 11:41 PM Reply   
@drew I don't think that "everyone at wake9" comment is correct. The v226 was a good boat, and threw a great wake, there is no doubt. But if I liked it better than the RZ2, I would be getting one. The V226 was also a very good value, and I think many people will be very happy with that boat. I love to spread the word about ANY boat that makes a great wake on both sides, like the Sanger V237 and the Supreme V226. ( I only mention those because of the close first hand experience I had with them.) But at the end of the day, wake9 chose Tige.

I personally think the "This boat is best, etc" isn't very helpful. I chose Tige because of the great wake and a multitude of other reasons, many I have stated many times. But that makes it the BEST BOAT FOR ME. My preference is for the Tige. But I am not so thick headed to think, there aren't other great boats out there with great wakes. That is why at wake9, we have taken the stand that we would like to point out great wakesurf boats as such:

1. Great wake on both sides, virtually identical, with similar or same weighting on both sides.
2. Ability to make a good recreational surf wake with a reasonable amount of ballast, and a comp wake with more (1000lbs+)
3. The above wakes can be made with water ballast, hidden and not on seats and stuff.

Then the rest is based purely on preference for you and your family. The V226, several sangers, and several Tiges do the above, and I am sure there are more. Of course, this is just MY list, and what I think, but it is based on what I think most families would want.

Of course, you may be a guy like DJJamez, and you just want the biggest, baddest MOFO wake you can possibly produce. RIGHT ON. Maybe that can only be done on a Centurion, not sure, but I love what DJJamez is doing, I just wouldn't do it. Hope that makes sense.

Last, I always try to back up my opinions with LOTS of pictures and video so you don't have to take my word.

BTW, I love that wake picture of the sanger V215, looks nice and MEATY. But who the heck is the kid with the AFRO? ;-)
Old    surfdad            07-08-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
LOL - That's actually James' Super Hero alter ego: Hair Boy!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-08-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
I was pretty sure it is James W
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-08-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
The sac on the transom weight around 155, but I have 100 pounds of lead in it. So it weights roughly 235 or so. I only fill it with water when we have a smaller crew.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yeah, I knew it was James, but I forgot about that hair style, cracked me up. Looks like he has got Jerry Curl in his air.

"Play that funky music, white boy"

I guess the reason that picture is so old is Dennis had to dig into the archives and find the last time he used his boat to wakesurf instead of mooching a ride. ;-)

Its all good though, we all love Coach Dennis on the boat, especially Jesse.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Yeah, I knew it was James, but I forgot about that hair style, cracked me up. Looks like he has got Jerry Curl in his air.

"Play that funky music, white boy"

I guess the reason that picture is so old is Dennis had to dig into the archives and find the last time he used his boat to wakesurf instead of mooching a ride. ;-)

Its all good though, we all love Coach Dennis on the boat, especially Jesse.
Old    surfdad            07-08-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
I think I had that AWB album on 8-track! Was it that old? Oh my goodness! Looking at that picture, I'm reminded of that flick "Undercover Brother". I think my favorite line from that was: "...you mess with the 'fro, you got to go."
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Sorry in advance for thread hijack, but I LOVE that movie. So many great lines. I love the part when he brings Sista girl up to his ride and asks her to check out his big black fuzzy balls....

Hanging from his mirror. Great movie.
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       07-09-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Centurion Enzo and Avalanche were designed for surfing. I talk to the head designer every once and a while. They were the first to focus on surfing, and other manu's are now playing catch up. If they had designed the hull for wakeboarding it would have looked more like a san, mastercraft etc... hull. The Enzo is still the best wave out, it's not really something you can argue. All the pros basically say the same thing. That the Enzo is king. You can get a competition level wave easily on the port side. It has drawbacks, like it's tough to get a good wave on both sides. The guys over at wakeoutlaws have a malibu that they surf and it has a great wave on both sides. Dennis on here has a sanger v215 and his wave is amazing! Here is a picture of my avalanche wave at 12 mph, I am running a 1500 pound sac, center tank 250, transom sac, 200+ and 2 people in the boat. Pretty freaking huge! I think the new tige boats are awesome. Def would make my top 3.
I have a lot of pros that ride on our 247 that say it is king on both port and starboard sides.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
I would love to see it in person, the 247 is a nice boat, we almost bought that boat, instead of the 24Ve, the MAIN issue was the bow for us. I just haven't seen 247 surf wake first hand, or even good pics/video.

Any 247 owners/dealers in NorCal, lets surf.