Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       07-24-2012, 12:27 AM Reply   
Last night I took a gnarly fall off a double up, which caused me to evacuate out of one boot and half out of the other. Well this caused the board to spin, which led to the tearing of ligaments in my right ankle, a fracture, and some bone being chipped away from the rest...

I'm only almost halfway through the season, and being in Canada I only get a few months a year to ride, so I won't be going until next season where hopefully it doesn't bother me.

So I ask for some advice, what do you do to deal with not being able to ride, when all you want to do is ride?
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       07-24-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your fall...that stinks. As for what to do for the rest of the seaon, I would hit the lake with friends, watch them ride and enjoy hanging out. It is definately NOT the same but still better than being at the house!
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-24-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Just hang out on the boat, drink some beers and bring in the sun. Drive your buddies and give them tips, maybe start filming or photos of them. Make the best of it, sitting around in the house will make it 10x worse
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-24-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully you aren't stuck wearing a cast. If not, get out there and enjoy the lake like the rest of the guys said. It will be frustrating but it is way better than sitting on the couch. Get your mental game locked down. Sometimes the forced time away can help you get focused and come back with more drive and you will be better off for it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I would be in the gym everyday doing everything that doesn't hurt, so that when I come back, I've got it all together.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-24-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Great suggestions! Stay active and don't give up on yourself!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-24-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Get a girlfriend if u dont have one already. But like the others mentioned...you can still hang out on the boat or be the designated drinker.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-24-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
its really easy to pick up girls while your injured... thats what i do lol
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-25-2012, 4:34 AM Reply   
Drive the boat, post on the forums and maybe learn how to video and edit. You can still be involved in the sport even if you can't ride. I've never played a down of organized football but I've always got something going on with it durring the season and it runs a close third behind wakeboarding and auto racing in my heart.

Hey, that's an idea. Sell the boat, buy a miata and go racing.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Gym, lots of gym, focus on something new. Now you've got time to start that new diet you were thinking about, or packing on some muscle if you're skinny. New lifestyle change, doing something like that where you'll be active, see results and feeling good. I just moved to a new location, I've been 2.5 weeks without lake, 2 full weekends. I have been heavily researching boats and shopping around. I just bought a sweet XC mtn bike and that sport is wicked fun too. It's tough but just stay focused, don't drink and eat too much and you'll be killin it before you know it.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-25-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
I 2nd the go racing opinion. Miatas are more fun than go karts!!! Build rails!
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       07-25-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the relplies everyone! Unfortunately, with the extent of the injury and being my right ankle, racing and driving for that matter is a no-go. For the gym, once I can put a little weight on it I will for sure, but that'll be weeks after surgery if it is needed, which it most likely is. I'm do like the idea of going to the lake and sitting on the boat, but with all the pain meds I'm popping drinking isn't an option. ****.

Thanks again! I just gotta keep my spirits up!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Be careful with those pain meds man, I know you're probably in pain but they're not a good idea. I fractured my iliac crest - pelvis skiing during prime ski season, so I know what you're going through... It hurts but don't get hooked. I'm always super paranoid.about medicines is all, I'm not saying you'll be irresponsible with them...
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-25-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
I am right there with you. Broke my foot 10 days ago at the cable park. Got screws put in last Friday. I am trying and trying not to think about how much riding time is left (lost) this season, very depressing.

So while I am can't put weight on my foot for 6-12 weeks, I am going to really get into the olympics. Distraction is key. Watching the soccer matches today. Plan on watching hours of events every day to keep distracted.

Also looking forward to going back on the boat as much as possible starting in 2 weeks.

And finally, I am actually saving money sitting on the couch for months, so planning a trip to the wakeboard camp next spring. That really gives me something to look forward to.

Good luck on your recovery. Don't rush it, recover stronger with more drive!
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       07-25-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
Go find yourself a copy of Wakeboarding Unleashed and tear it up on XBox or playstation! Lol But most defiantly hit the gym If possible.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Grab an instrument. Playing guitar and piano has helped keep my mind off of the fact that I won't be riding for a good while. Good luck man
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-30-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Try coaching a bit or save up the unspent petrol money and plan a holiday for when you're back. That's what I'm doing, nothing for the whole summer but 4 weeks of South Africa in February
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
What's the wakeboarding equivalent of blue balls? Blue boards? Blue boat? I've got a serious case of whatever you call it right now... Out of commish for an injury until probably Nov. I'm spending my time (when not at work or chasing my kids) with a physical therapist or at the gym hoping to fix all the wrongs father time has done me.