Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 4:28 AM Reply   
anyone know what the progression from the pulse/3ds shape is? I love my 3ds but am gonna need a new one soon.

am not sure if hyperlite is doing this or whether to move to ronix with Chads new Viva....

thoughts??
Old    joshj095            11-18-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
HYPERLITE ACTUALLY DITCHED THE NAMES, BUT NOT THE SHAPE. ITS NOW THE SUB6 IN THE DINE SERIES. ALSO A LOT OF GUYS THE USED TO RIDE THE 3DS MOVED TO THE TRIBUTE SUCH AS AUSTIN HAIR AND ROB CORUM. BOTH HYPERLITE LEGION TEAM RIDERS. OR CHECK OUT RUSTYS BOARD. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE MAREK IS BASICALLY A 3DS ON STEROIDS. BUT I WOULDNT MOVE TO A RONIX JUST YET.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 5:05 AM Reply   
marek on steroids....sounds interesting in what way?

I'm using the board for cable so needs to be quick and release well on water and also pretty solid for a lot of obstacles
will check out the tribute and also the dine (guessing that might be nick davies new board??)
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-18-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
I'd had someone inquire about it earlier in the year.
Here is what Hyperlite told me...
I was told it was going to be a spring release only for cable park shops. Slider Base.....Nick Davies Pro Model. That said, I've not seen any formal announcement on it yet.

Bill @ Performance.
www.perfski.com
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 5:18 AM Reply   
ah cool that makes sense. nick is an awesome cable rider...top 2!??
anyway, guessing it might be a spring release cause its going to really hit the UK well and we really only start stocking up in spring...

hopefully I'll be able to find one by xmas as heading to CWC (philippines) in jan..
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-18-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
NO! Don't mess with the Pulse! I have an old TFD I was looking to move up from. I may have to buy an older 3DS or last years Pulse.

Is the Sub6 the same as the Pulse or have there been shape changes? I mean changes other than the $800 price tag...
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
completely agree. have the second year of 3ds and love it...very heavy though, could do with the pulse with new graphics!

but.. the Sub6 is a little costly eh. esp' when it comes to the UK!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-18-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
I wasn't able to ride the 3DS or Pulse, but if your looking for that fast cut with an agressive continuous, I'd recommend the Covin. You'd be able to find an 07 or 08 for a not so high price. I love mine.

Upload
Old     (cmcathy1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-18-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
You may want to look into the Byerly Assault.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/products_info.php?products_id=3429
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
yeah...have been looking at the covin and now the viva based on Chads progression with the 3ds shape.
never been a fan of byerly's so cause i'll have limited chance to demo boards gonna stick with familiar designs cause i know i love em.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-18-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Harry. Just wait for the spring release. I think the rumors may be true. wink wink. If you absolutely have to buy a board now you can get a 08 sub 6 very cheap now. Same shape just way lighter!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
right...may have to get chatting to nick to see exact dates. could be very annoying getting something 2 months before...although riding every day for 2 months could seriously break a board...several times!
Old     (matteoh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Rocky Cathey (cmcathy1) wrote: "You may want to look into the Byerly Assault."

The byerly assault is not comparable to the 3DS or the covin. Byerly's assault is a slow cutting and strong edge into the wake meaning your gonna get the pop from the board instead of cutting hard at the wake like a 3DS would.
I would suggest one of the new LTD liquid force boards with the grind base for cable. The new S4 is so sick.
http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4777
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-18-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I just rode the Byerly Assault and it is nothing like the covin/3ds/sub6, it is a lot slower edging and pops more like a flex board than a regular board.
Covin is a lot like the 3ds, sub 6 and marek are also similar to 3ds but the marek lands softer and pops higher than the 3ds and sub 6. Both the sub 6 and marek feel a lot faster and more responsive than the 3ds though.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2008, 2:21 AM Reply   
yeah for cable i'm looking for something quite quick...gives a good hard edge (but also loose when flat...for obstacles etc) and also releases really well. hence why 3ds was a great board....and i'm looking forward to the new versions....covin, viva, davies etc.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-19-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Might want to throw the Arcade Bill into that list Harry. Its quick, the slider base holds up really well, loose but you can really dig the edge.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hey kris, hows trixs?

arcade bill??? whos that made by?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-19-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Things are good man, getting all settled in here.

Anycase: Arcade Bill is Made by Ronix (The "Bill" version has the slider base). There's been a few Reviews and stuff on this forum. I've been noticing the Cable rats are loving this board. If it came in a bigger size I'd switch from the Ibex in a heartbeat.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
plus it looks pretty sick!!
what are the moulded in fins like, length and depth? i've got 0.8" alloy's on my 3ds, and wouldn't want anything less but also wouldn't wanna ride with the centre fin.

guessing the extra kink in the tips of the board would make the wip outta the water extra kicky/quick!! defo looks like one to try.

biggest difficulty for me is that I ride a 139, so 137 and 141 is a hard choice...wouldn't wanna go any bigger on cable tho.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-19-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
They're angled out fins about .5 deep but the angle (and longer base) gives more of an effective edge so more hold. I personally wouldn't put the middle fin in.

If you measure your 3DS its actually a 142. (The 143 is a 146). The Bill is a little bit narrower through the nose and lighter than the 3DS so if I were you I'd jump straight on the 142. the 137 is for tiny people.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
sounds like its demo time!!!
hopefully there will be some davies, viva's, bill's, subs, mareks, tributes etc out there!!! know exactly the type of ride i want but need to find it.

all in all, want a board that feels like its really pulling away from the cable as I put it on edge...that way as you scope, it quickly rips you outta the water