Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (joe_cartoon)      Join Date: May 2008       05-04-2008, 1:51 AM Reply   
i have been a boat owner for awhile and like to go out 2-3 riders so everyone gets plenty of ride time. (keep in mind i have nice boat and i weight it down for the best possible wake and everyone rides till their arms falls off)

however when i go through $100 a day in boat gas and all i get is $36 and a bunch of excuses - what gives ? gas prices are $$$$ not to mention the tow gas and other cost associated with boat ownership..
Old    nwwakerider            05-04-2008, 2:03 AM Reply   
i completely agree. i need to start asking for more money from my friends who ride with me
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
tell them to buck up or you cant afford to take them out anymore. I havent dont that to my crew because 20 is fine for me. I dont weight the piss out of my boat though. I am not a pro and I dont need a pro level wake as much as I need money in my pocket.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Take them to the gas station first, what they give you is how much gas goes into the boat. Then ride first and then last, shouldn't happen more that once before they get the hint. IMO if you have the boat and you're doing the maintenance, payments, insurance, etc.. and you regularly take out 2-3 guys you shouldn't have to pay for gas.
Old     (bigdave0924)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-04-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
You've got to pay to play
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-04-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Boats don't run on AIR AND WATER...and they don't run on THANKS.

a) Fuel
b) Insurance
c) Monthly payment
d) fuel for your vehicle to and from
e) upkeep $500 and up per year depending on what
you own.

Do they help wipe it down and put it away?
Do they always want to go first or offer to
pull you first?

Seems like when a boat is purchased you get ALOT
of friends that you never know you had!

If they arn't willing to chip in then they arn't really your friends.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
i'm taking my friends with me today to fill the boat up so they can see that the boat will be as full as it can get. after we're done at the lake today i'm going to stop back by the gas station and whatever it cost to fill it up will be split up between all of us.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-04-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
I usually invite people from WW cause they know what's up and always pitch in.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
At current gas prices riding costs about $1/minute. If you want to be fair about it just keep track of how long your riders ride.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-04-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
I usually throw $40 at whoever I'm riding with for the day. We all throw in about that much each time. Sometimes we gas up more than once in the day too. I agree that you shouldn't have to ask for gas money, but some people play dumb and make excuses and others just don't quite understand what owning a boat actually involves. The more and more I read all these threads, the more I like my crew.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
really interesting thread.

given how much gas cost have gone up. imo fuel cost for the boat should be minimal to the owner due to the other associated expenses.

i have had peeps show up with their girlfriends (which is cool) and then throw $20 after 3 long pulls - sometimes i have received less(heck that is cheaper than a movie).

between another boat owner- take turns for boat rotation or i'll throw minimum $40 plus food/drinks.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Ive been going out less and less because the usual $$$ from people isn't enough and everyones got this distorted point of view that because I own a boat i have tons of money. Which is far from the truth. Everyone asks so when are you taking the boat out next. I say when we get enough money together to fill the tank.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Im with you eric. When you own the boat, you are percieved as Loaded I really dont know why that is though
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-04-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Gas, grass or ass, no one rides for free.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Don, what they don't understand is that for most of us its just one more payment that we stretch ourselves out to achieve. Its not as if everyone with a boat is loaded. Especially being a 20 year old college student

(Message edited by wakeboardin2k4 on May 04, 2008)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
eric,

i have had that conversation before (when we get enough money to fill the tank)

not to mention i am in between tow vehicles- though i have had some cool peeps tow the boat out for me. heck, i cant afford to put out $100 in gas every time i take the boat out because others dont chip in...

imo, the bast way to get invited back to ride is to be really, really, sure you are contributing gas money and whatever else to cover the cost.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
In my boat we dont expect to have everyone pay for gas. If we did we wouldnt of bought the boat. However most do but when buying a boat, you shouldnt go into it expecting people to pay for your property and the fuel it needs to run. Thats just my opinion
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
I agree. Its been almost a month since I have used my boat and really ridden behind it. It almost makes me want to sell it but then I realized I know I want a boat and its paid off plus there isn't a chance in hell I would get what my boat is "worth" in this economy that we have now.

Back to the point. If theres anyone who rides in Orlando, in the airport area like lake conway and needs someone who is good for gas. Or if you are good for gas money and want a boat to ride behind let me know. Primarily available Thursdays. My other day off varries. Let me know
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
ryan,

kinda disagree with you.. it is common courtesy to contribute food, drinks, gas money, cleanup, and be respectful of the property and other persons. i try to find crew members that hopefully have some courtesy and common sense( i remember one chick on my boat had to be told 4 times to take off her shoes- they were digging into my vinyl).

i would never go on another boat (let alone a $70k one) and not contribute(driving, gas, food, drinks, cleanup, ice etc...). if you think you can come on someones boat and give $20 after riding to your hearts content for a day- imo, it is a really surefire way NOT to get invited back on..

this is a group activity- a boat is needed as well as a crew.

i dont expect peeps to pay for my property ( no one helped me buy the 16 pop products bags, a-line and handle, fly high fat sacs and pumps, $10k stereo, $1500 - wake boards and surf boards, life vests, drysuit, and all the other stuff..i let peeps use my gear(all top notch)and listen to their music..

i have a idea - go rent a decent wake wake board and bindings for a day and a slammed nautique, bu or mastercraft) for 2-3 pulls with a really good driver - tell me if you think $30 -$40, drinks, food, and helping to cleanup is asking too much...

btw, its cheaper for me(and more fun)to jump on someone elses ride (mastercraft, bu, nautique) and pay them $40 for pulls than it is for me to take out my boat. not to mention, the other boat owner gets to take it easy because there is another responsible driver on his boat that will really look after it and the safety of the crew.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
20.00 is ok for us per rider, more the better but we have a few broke azz friends.

Gas is insaine though makes us think twice about driving far to other lakes. We will be staying closer to home this summer :-(
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
rg,

have you weighed down ur 08 x2 yet beyond the factory ballast ?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
I hope to get money from my riders and expect help with clean up and put away. I'm ok with $20 from everyone with 4 extra guys thats not to shabby. When I bought my boat I expected to pay for gas so I'm glad to get any help I can. CM, I'm with ya though never shell out and you can make plans to stay home next time around.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
When I bought my boat i never asked for gas money. Of course it was alot cheaper even last year. So it has to be made up for somehow and renting a wakeboard will run you 40-60 bucks so hey all I ask is 50 bucks for a whole camping weekend and that is assuming that I can fill all 7 spots. 50x7 = 350 and I will use about 75 gallons of gas 75x4 = 300 the rest is for the camp spot. we all bring food and beer and its all good. luckily I don't have too much weight and my boat is a I/0 4 cyl.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
I want help with gas, I expect nothing as far as maintenence goes. It is my boat, my payment, my machenery, my choice. No one is expected to pay for it but me and I wouldt put that on anyone else. Some people understand that and contribute more, but it is never expected, never from me. I am just glad I have good people to ride with that I know I can leave my boat in good hands while I am in the water with a competent driver and respectful crew. I have to pay to play too but getting to enjoy something I call MINE is greater than all else for me.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
I want help with gas, I expect nothing as far as maintenence goes. It is my boat, my payment, my machenery, my choice. No one is expected to pay for it but me and I wouldt put that on anyone else. Some people understand that and contribute more, but it is never expected, never from me. I am just glad I have good people to ride with that I know I can leave my boat in good hands while I am in the water with a competent driver and respectful crew. I have to pay to play too but getting to enjoy something I call MINE is greater than all else for me.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-04-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
If your riding crew is getting cheap just run out of gas. not literaly but next time you go out only throw 50 bucks in make sure you ride first and when the gauge say go home or paddel go home your friends will get the picture.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Agree with Don, I don't expect to cover the costs of maintenance, insurance, etc. Those are costs that I would incur no matter what. Would also like to comment on the $1 per minute post above. That would be $60 per hour and about $17 gallons used in an hour. On my boat that would mean I would have an empty tank in two hours, which is not even close to the case.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
i basically told everyone in my crew straight up, im not paying a dime for shizzle. i have plenty of boats i can ride on so i will drop mine in a sec, in fact its for sale. but now i wont even drive there, 90 min each way to the delta. they drive, they launch it, they fill up the boat, beer, food etc.i supply the boat and insurance etc... they take of the rest. thats how it is.......trust me the weather is nice and the boyz want to ride they do pay.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
i dont expect anyone to cover the maintenance / insurance, equipment etc... however, the majority of the daily cost should be covered by the crew - it is obvious they dont know or care. it just means i'll go out less or catch a ride with another boat owner( i totally agree with Bryan)

i have a buddy in AZ with a mc x-45 with the 8.1 motor (Ben) - super nice boat all decked out and he had pop bags and plumbed in fly high sacs with the acme 1235 prop (this was the nicest boat i have ever consistently been on). i spent more time on his boat than mine last year (i bought cleaning supplies, basic tools and other stuff to help out)

his gas bill was anywhere $200 to $350 when we went out.. it would be a embarressement to offer $20 him for a day or 1/2 day on this bad azz ride..needless to say, i got invited out every single time he went out and i was in the area

i think it is better to err on giving too much than too little. if in doubt - ask.

(Message edited by clubmyke on May 04, 2008)
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 10:09 PM Reply   
Personally, I like what Bryan said. Then I think Everything is equal. Its just that the crew doesnt see it that way......
On average my cost is roughly $50 per trip for gas (not including any boat costs such as payments, ins, maintenance) There costs is from $15 to $20.
Yes, I did buy the boat, but they seem to want to go more than I do... or than I can afford....

Geez, hitch rides for $20 to $40 bucks, or $50, and all boat costs. I think I would rather hitch rides, and I dont have the responsibilty of driving and everything else, and I actually enjoy the day at the lake.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
Comparing to groups of people I take. (6 people in both)
1)Take the family, they bring the food and all, and usually like to hang out more. So I get to ride more. (They dont pay, they are fam)

2)Take the crew, sometimes bring stuff..., We ride 95% of the time. I ride considerably less.(they pitch in on gas (somewhat anyway).

Both cost me $50 bucks, either way....... Any input?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
jason,

option 2 - get a new crew who ponies up for gas and ride more
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2008, 12:00 AM Reply   
Asking people on your boat to subsidize your boat ownership cost is wrong.
Asking people on your boat to pay for gas used on the day is perfectly fine.

Splitting the costs between all people on the boat makes sense to me.
Cutting the bill differently per "ride time" is to detailed in my book.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2008, 12:23 AM Reply   
i have found that communication is key in this situation.. there is a tactful way to let people know that you are on a budget and that owning a boat is a lifestyle, not just another whimsical toy gathering dust in the garage.. i try to make the most out of every outing and in return, our crew has always wanted for more.. which in turn, makes it alot easier to communicate to them that you are open to going anytime as long as everyone pitches in.. no fancy spreadsheet breakdown on rider time and no bad days.. has worked thus far..
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-05-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Last year i spent over $12k on gas between the car and boat. Now I now longer have the gas card so I have pay for gas after uncle sam gets a hold of my check. I make no secret to anyone how much time and money I spent on my boat. I dont brag i do it to inform people how expensive boats are. Some of my regulars got comfortable making excuses and I am the ultimate nice guy. So far this year I have taken out several different crews this year and everyone is pitching a lot more. Girls usually $20 and guys usually $40. Now everyone pitches in more and the regulars make sure to give me the money in front of everyone to draw attention that my boat doesn't run on Friends but gas. I have lake friends and real friends and this sometimes makes it really apparent. I am fortunate that I am doing very well in my career and I also make sure that my true friends still come out to the lake. I dont make it maditory to charge to go out on the boat but some people are just cheap weasels.....we all that one friend...or two!
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-05-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Clubmyke-
rg,

have you weighed down ur 08 x2 yet beyond the factory?

Nope not yet, we will be soon though, I can only imagine how much gas we will go though then...That Natie looks like she throws a nice wake :-) Nice ride...

(Message edited by canecorso on May 05, 2008)
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I am really torn on this one
I kinda agree with Ryan

for me, it isn't about the money

I enjoy teaching people water sports, and watching them have fun

most people that I take wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to go out on the water

but
if I were to take a seasoned crew out...
people that ride often and have other opportunities to ride.....I would probably want some cash
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-05-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Here in San Diego, we also have a county tax (luxury tax). I know I still owe them my $400-plus payment.

I had a friend ask the other day if someone should still pay something if they don't take any pulls, but hand on the boat all day. I told them that maybe paying half of what the others pay would be fair. Many times I have not taken money in this situation. Bottom line, the boat owner still has all the responsibility of paying for everything listed in the previous posts. It is just a good will jesture to pitch in at least something. Hell, even $5 or $10 would be great.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-05-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
rg,

mucho thanks... you have a great ride - when you weigh down your x2 and re-prop it to get out of the hole (acme 1235) you will have a incredible wake..however, your fuel use will increase quite a bit.

its really uncool for regulars to take advantage of someones generosity ($12k gas bill !!!! wow !!!) goes to show there are good peeps and not so good peeps.

it would be appropriate for regulars and those around boats to help accordingly with fuel cost and inform those who dont know-

imo - the owner should never have to ask - it makes for a uncomfortable situation for the owner and a embarrassing situation for the crew. i think its just easier to cherry pick the best crew/riders and let the others really think why their friends are being asked out and they arent(lol - thats my passive agressive side )

i wish i could keep to a wakesurfing crew - it uses so much less gas then wakeboarding.

(Message edited by clubmyke on May 05, 2008)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
just cruising i will pay for all the gas. i bought the boat and wanna cruise, im go cruise with or without you. we will most likely just end up at the cove anyway. if your not riding you dont pay for gas i put 1500# in the boat with a small crew i dont charge fatsacs gas money. but when we do fill boat with bags and ride its time to pay up. thats when the fuel consumtion goes ^^. so i see everyones point. the new jumbo boats get really guzzle gas, and that doesnt help.
Old     (ryadbl)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Here's the deal in my boat. The boat is always full when the day starts, on the way back to the dock, my boat is slipped, we happen to stop by the marina gas pump. I get out fill up the boat, everyone sees what it costs for the day, I have a few friends who are trained to pull out their wallets and out loud say how much they are giving. It is divided equally among everyone on the boat, whether the rode or not. All you need is to have that friend who pulls out his wallet in front of everyone else and people always figure it out at that point. Then I slip the boat full of gas everyday.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-05-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
I am a member of a gentleman's watersports club that figured in a "tournament" weighted boat that each pull is about $17.00 per and I think gas was around 3.50.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
this is an interesting topic. One that i have my own personal feelings on which is similar to most on here, however, instead of talking about boats and gas and taking friends out to the lake, lets look at "gas $$$" from a different perspective....

lets say you have a job, but dont own a car to get to work. every morning, your buddy/co-worker gets up earlier, drives to your place to pick you up so that you and himself can get to work on time. whether you both work at the same place or not is irrelevant, it's a matter of doing the respectful and thoughtful thing and by showing appreciation by "bucking up".

(yes there is holes in my example, but this thread would be 14 pages long hitting on every little detail)

Point is, as gas prices go up, so should your contribution to getting to do what you enjoy!!!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
deep thought: i think dave should start another website called "WalkWorld" and on it we can argue how much money we have saved by walking everywhere.. that way, when the weekend comes, everyone can pitch in all those saved dollars for boat gas? just a thought..
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-06-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
I didnt even read all of the above.

But...this is the easiest solution:
Top off the tank after every trip to the lake, divide and pitch in.
You know exactly how much gas you burned.
Same wih the truck. Have it full whenyou leave your house, fill it up when our done, divide, nd pitch in.

It's the boat owners respnsibility to mke it clear to the riders what he/she expects. Is not fair to riders and non boat owners who dont know better if they are never told.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
I guess I am in the minority, but I don't really expect anything from anyone I ride with. Now often they bring food & drinks. They pick up lunch. If I don't like it then I just go with family and ride a lot more and save gas also. I guess I can't distinguish between a boat and any other luxury item people share. If you own a vacation place do you charge your friends when they go with you? If you invite someone over for BBQ and they bring some drinks, do you split the utility bill? Not trying to say anyone is wrong, I just do understand.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-06-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Erik,
you're right.. and everyboat is different.
Just sounds like you are in a different financial situation than some other boat owners.
And when people go out a couple times a week, or every weekend, with close friends, I think it should be expected that riders pay for their own gas.

tk swab had a post earlier that I completely disagree with. Why even mention the boat payment, upkeep, and insurance. The riders on the boat are not part owners....
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-06-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
I'm 20 and work as much as I can, plus I am a full time student. I have rent, and a truck payment, and other expenses. So I kindly request gas money from people who i take wakeboarding and sometimes I don't even ride.

The boats paid off btw

(Message edited by wakeboardin2k4 on May 06, 2008)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-06-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey Eric, $$$ I will be up for riding on Thursday's after my herina surgery has healed $$$$ ..should be ready to go mid June
Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-09-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
Yeah me to eric I am 21 have a full time job, a full time student, have bought my boat and the truck that pulls it. all of its paid for but the Gas $$$ really puts a tight on things. I hate asking for gas money but now I have no choice. If the boat hits the water they got to pay.
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-09-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Every time my friend and I use my boat, we all help to park and clean up the boat after riding, put on the cover, etc. Then I get the gas bill from the Club House (marina), and we split it - Total gas bill divided by the number of riders.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       05-15-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
Buzz - just paid that damn luxury tax last week. Had totally forgot about that. Thanks a lot San Diego.

Boat ownership turned out to be pretty damn expensive - I'm 25, 2 years out of college and doing pretty well for myself, but I certainly don't like how people assume its means I'm rich - there are tons of hidden costs that you just don't understand until you are making the payments.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-16-2008, 1:25 AM Reply   
I have personally never accepted any money from anyone before. I would let people buy refreshments, but that's it. Since I have moved to the lake, nobody even offers. The boat is usually full, so I guess nobody thinks about it. At the end of the day, I usually end up feeding people at the house too. Guess what, this year it's going to be different. Wanna ride? Bring some gas money. Wanna eat, bring some food to throw on the grill. The way I see it is for my personal use, I foot the bill. Now, if I have some peeps to the house to ride, they can foot the bill. I live on a tournament lake, so there is constant butter, have a top end boat, and a house to relax in, so if I'm providing everything, the least riders can do is pitch in. I think that it's a privelege to be able to ride here, so nobody rides for free.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2008, 1:58 AM Reply   
amen Shawn! well put..
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
I can't believe someone would not even offer thats what is so shocking to me. I ride with a MD friend and he has tons of cash but I always offer he always says no and I always make sure to bring beer, fruit and other things he cant say no too.