Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    sperbet            08-11-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'm sure someone here can help me out.

I've got an HD cable box and blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI. I want to hook both up to my stereo with 5.1 via the optical connection. Can I just hook both up to the TV via HDMI then run 1 optic from the TV to the stereo? Or do both the box and the blu-ray player need to be hooked directly to the stereo each with it's own optic cable?

Thanks!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
So I assume your Receiver does not have HDMI switching?
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-11-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Okay, I'm a rookie with home theatre stuff, but I have the exact setup you're mentioning, bluray, appletv, directv etc connect to the tv via HDMI and the TV connects to sound via optical connection, so to answer your question, from my understanding, yes.
Old    sperbet            08-11-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
yes, the reciever is pre-hdmi. thanks guys!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
How many Optical inputs does the reciever have? Most have at least 2. How about a digital (non-optical) input
Old    sperbet            08-11-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
4 optical, 1 digital (non-opt)
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
In that case, the other option would be to go Direct to the receiver from the cable box and Blu-Ray via optical cable.

The only thing I would check into is if your TV can properly decode the HDMI audio signal and convert it to the corresponding code for optical out. Assuming you want DTS and Dolby 5.1 to work properly.

Last edited by alans; 08-11-2010 at 1:21 PM.
Old    sperbet            08-11-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
In that case, the other option would be to go Direct to the receiver from the cable box and Blu-Ray via optical cable.

The only thing I would check into is if your TV can properly decode the HDMI audio signal and convert it to the corresponding code for optical out. Assuming you want DTS and Dolby 5.1 to work properly.
thats the next option, just dont have another optical cable on hand.

the second part is basically what I was getting at. I have no idea if it does that. It's a newer Vizio. Guess there is only 1 way to find out and I do want the DTS and Dolby Digital to work properly.

Last edited by sperbet; 08-11-2010 at 1:26 PM. Reason: na
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-11-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
You will need to run an optical cable from each component to your receiver. You will need to set your components to not transmit audio over HDMI. Your TV is not going to be able to decode audio from an HDMI source and encode it properly via optical to your receiver. Two optical cables are a must here.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Just a quick tip! If any of you are buying your cables from Best Buy or your local home theater store... STOP IT, you're being robbed! monopriceDOTcom, same stuff as monster and jbl and all those other high dollar cables for cheap! I just redid my entire home theater and bought all new HDMI cables for under $20. Would have cost me $350 at Best Buy. (no I don't work for monoprice.)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-11-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
What you're suggesting is what I do at school

I run everything into the tv.... then one audio out to the receiver - so whatever the TV is playing is what the receiver is playing and I never have to switch the receiver's input.... I lose remotes a lot, so if I only have to switch TV inputs which also will switch the audio signal indirectly

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-11-2010 at 8:40 PM.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-12-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
I had my credit card stolen from monoprice... They made it right by buying credit fraud protection for everyone affected, but that didn't keep someone in India from using my CCard about 50 times to purchase some PPV Satellite crap. I got it removed from my Card and a new card issued, but I had to take care of that myself. Apparently someone lifted all the CC #'s from their database during a specific period. Not saying don't use them. their prices are great and their stuff shipped fast and they did make things as right as they could.... but beware.

Scott, you should consider getting and HDMI capable receiver. There are some good ones out there for decent prices. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN100...1626185&sr=8-1
Old    sperbet            08-12-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'm just going to hook each component to the receiver individually via Optical. I'd consider that Robert, but my receiver is pretty nice and already does Dolby Digital and everything else so I cant justify just scrapping it. It was just made about a year or two prior to them going all HDMI. I'm content with using the optical inputs instead.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-12-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
make sure you read what KState said. expensive monster cables from the big box are NOT worth the money. I buy all my cables and TV mounts as well from the place monoprice.