Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
mine have come from concrete and wood, the concrete time i was very young on a bike before the invention of bike helmets or any safety gear for children(we used to stand up in the front seat next to mom, her arm was our seat belt) anyway im swerving down the sidewalk whipping the handlebars back and forth and it was wet and whoosh the front tire slips out and i go head first into the ground...i got up and tried to figure out where my house was and everything was blurry i stumbled home and lay in bed for a couple days before i had my senses back, the next time was at bear valley i had a big tube the ski resort was closed and it was terrorize the mountain day we had our snowmobiles there and were BBQin in the lot it was killer so i go up one of the runs to the left of the lodge and come ripping down on the tube...i go kinda close to a lift booth...so i go back to do it again and as i'm sliding the tube turns backwards and i can't see where i am going for a moment and as i try to twist and see where i am..i slam the railing at about 40 mph my head hits the 2x4 top rail and my back hits the 4x4 upright and i cracked the 4x4 in half and split the 2x4 along its length for a couple feet...when i woke up...i was on my hands and knees and could not really figure out why all these people were running around all excited...my buddies wife was there first asking if i was OK and i kept asking her what happened and how did i get there? and why did it feel like i had just been hit by a truck? there was a lump at my collar bone like a walnut and i had the imprint of the post on my back and head...no stitches...and collar bone was not broke but still bugs me from time to time. They had video and showed it to me and twenty minutes later i did not remember seeing it...had to see it much later before it even registered. my girlfriend was freaked out and driving crazy down hwy 4 so i made her stop got out and literally "shook it off"...told her we are going to BV lodge and getting a room and staying right there i was not going to a hospital i just wanted to chill. theres medical there anyway so thats what we did.
in a bunch of years of barefooting i have only seen stars on the worst falls...other than ripping hamstring once and breaking ribs jumping out of the boat(one of the very first sanger DXs) like the dummies on that skipro video!!!haha don't do that you'll break your ribs!!! and that hurts man i had to lay on the platform and crawl in the boat...couldn't breath...

ok lets here your head slamming story
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I bunny hopped 3 cynder blocks stacked on top of each other when I was 14, showing off for a girl.
The back tire didnt come up high enough & the bike fliped forward. Slammed my melon so hard I got 8 stitches on the top of my head. Never got the girl. This was back when BMX was just getting started, Haro bikes, Redline, Mongoose, etc.
We would jump cars, garbage cans, people, we built 1/2 pipes & skated them w/ just knee pads.
I even asked my folks to buy me a helmet so I could race BMX, but did they??? Hell no, but it was ok for me to ride 5 or 6 miles to school everyday without one. Now parents get in trouble if their kids ride bikes w/o a helmet.
What happened to make everybody require a helmet all the sudden? Did a hole bunch of retards break they're selfs or what? I ride my bike w/ my kids & they're like "Dad, wheres your helmet?" Its like I gotta have a helmet just to go poo.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-21-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
I was snowboarding...and I am told I was at the bottom of the slopes and some ya-hoo lady ran into me and elbowed me in the face. I don't remember any of it. It happened at like 2 o' clock pm and I still don't remember much until about 11 pm on the car ride home from tahoe. The bad part about it was I was trying to get at the girl I was boarding with and I think she thought I was a goober or something because of it and kinda stopped talking to me a short time after....oh well
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
was playing tackle football in 4 feet of fresh snow.. first kickoff of the game i get the ball get by 4 guys and the last guy rolled me over on my collar bone broke it.. it was like 6 hours later when i remember anything again.. i was in the hospital waitin room and the nurse was asking me if i was Leo...
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
1. i caught my front edge on an under rotated half cab roll.
slammed so hard i threw up 8 times and passed out.

2. caught my front edge trying to learn raleys.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-22-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
1.Hit my head on the ice in a pick-up pond hockey game. I was knocked out for a couple of minutes but have n n n n n nn no! Lingering effects.

2.The next two came behind the boat, mostly contributed to lack of talent.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
haha, snowboarding in north carolina (if you have not been...dont worry you are missing nothing)...getting my 3s dialed over a 30 ft table top or so, got off axis and slammed my head on the landing which was more like a steep sheet of ice, dont remember a thing
Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
When I was young and stupid (still in that phase) I jumped off our 2-story boathouse into the water. Well this particular time just as I was jumping they were driving the boat out of the boathouse and I tried to stop myself, fliped around in the air and landed on my head on the deck below. The next I remember I was on an elevator in the hospital sans my 4 front teeth. I was never actually unconscious but I only remember going to the lake that day and nothing else.
Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
oh, yea second concussion was behind the boat wakeboarding last summer.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Caught an edge on some whitewater shortly after getting up last summer. Boat was barely getting up to speed, but the impact was hard enough to ring my bell good. I was blind for about an hour, and 'dumb' for a day or two.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Ok, so my dad was stupid when I was young or something I guess. I was 5 years old, and he actually bought a dirtbike that I had asked him for. It was a little 50cc and I loved that thing. Rode it almost everyday. about 3 months later my dad and his friend were riding one of their big dirtbikes. A yamaha 250. So i was riding my little 50 trying to show out, and they started doing wheelies, so i was riding and watching them, next thing I know I am on the ground right under a fence. I had ridden straight through the bob-wired fence that surrounds our land. Blood was going everywhere, and shortly after I blacked out. Woke up the next morning in a hospita with 24 stitches in my face. Lucky for me I was wearing a half-helmet so I am stilll here today. Now I ride a 200 yamaha but I am a little more careful now. Planning on getting a crotch-rocket when I get 18 though. 4 more months.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-22-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
Taking a HSFS 360 about as big as I ever have and overrotating to about a 450 and catching the toe edge and smacking face first into the water from 8' or so in the air and at a boat speed of 24 mph. I lost about 2 hours of the afternoon and still don't remember it. Atleast everyone tells me I went huge!
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
1. Snowboarding at Dodge the day after their slope style high speed rail jam. Hit a box and suddenly realized it was freshly laminated and soaped. Hit the kicker and went to rotate but it didnt work that way. My feet flew out from under me and i smacked my head on the lip of the box. I was wearing a helmet but my fiancee said that my head was the only thing that hit the box until my body hit the snow. Sat down, had some water and then went back up.

2. Wrestling in high school at a tournament. Went to throw my opponent, slipped. He threw me and ended up slipping on the same thing (it ended up being soap and sweat), because the throw wasn't finished right i ended up landing on my head. Fun.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
1) High school freshman bball game. Head meets hardwood floor.

2) Teaching a softball camp. Diving for ball in the outfield and misjudged it.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-22-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
1) 360 to back-plant that was the first one.
2) Got hit head on by a suburban a few months ago...that was the 2nd.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
Short and long on 3's behind the boat

Short and long on doubles on the bike

Sucker punched in the back of the head in a street fight. I toppled face first like a tree felled I'm told. I still have asphault from the corner of Higuera and Morro in my upper lip.

Oh...and cant forget falling out of trees when I was a kid. Yes more then once, but hey they were damn good oranges.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
Not a concussion but I was playin hockey, tripped on one of those figure skating divits and went head first int a skate blade. very few stiches [ four I Think??] but....

Haha, just read derby, theres a kid at my school, scott derby, but he says it like,... scot deauauauaueuauby. yea... uhh....
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
I got jumped by 6 dudes, 2 of them held my buddy down while 4 kicked my knocked out head around like a soccer ball... no fun!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Heelside back roll that I was taking huge and into the flats. Came around nice and slow, landed, the board bobbled up and then down. On the down motion you can imagine what happend. Basically all that momentum and height straight into an edge catch. Crawled in the boat, did some sight seeing, then started to feel horrible. Got driven home where I layed on the cold floor not knowing what girl was my girlfriend to call or where I worked.
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-23-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
haha Derby, San Luis Obispo, eh?

My only concussion was an underrotated hs 5 to face-plant. I was asking what trick I fell on over and over I guess.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Raley. Almost had it. Couldn't wait to try it again!!
Old     (anna)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Derby, I used to pick guys like you up every weekend outside the SLO bars for the nice short trip to Sierra. LOL. Any chance it was between 1999 and 2001?

My worst was playing sorority powder puff football. Knocked out by a 5ft tall 300lb girl. I was blocking and she rammed the top of her head into the underside of my chin. Cracked the right side of my jaw and all the teeth roots in the right lower side of my mouth. Drunk as a skunk. Thank God I was so smashed, I didn't feel the pain until the alcohol wore off. Although the alcohol was not good for the concussion. They couldn't keep me awake. Unfortunately, I'm still paying for it now. I have serious TMJ issues on my right side.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-23-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I have had many many concussions over the years but none to serious except dunking a basketball and hanging on the rim to swing up and have my sweaty hands slip. I ended up hitting my head on the concrete and I was out for like 7 or 8 minutes. Blood everywhere. Like a dumbass I didn't even go to get checked out.

Only one bad raley fall that ended in some wooziness. ;)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-23-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
1. 9 years old: Intercepted a pass in the school gym from some older kids playing football. Kid picked me up and slammed me into the wall. Kid got suspended, I got concussion.

2. 18 years old: Got a mountain bike, used to riding BMX. Hit a big pile of mulch (5 ft) and flew...but something happened and I must have gone over the front. I woke up in my bathtub at home, naked, with no water. Scared the hell out of me. I'll never know why I got back on my bike, friends tell me I rode home like a maniac, then took off my clothes and got in the tub. Yikes.

3. 27 years old Snowboarding, learning to ride switch, caught a big heelside edge. At least I was wearing a helmet for that one, could have been a lot worse.

4. 31 years old Wakeboarding (no helmet), first time behind a SAN, put my board tip into the water on a backroll gone bad. Experienced symptoms (tingling in extremeties) for almost 1 year. Didn't ride for 3 months.

5. 32 years old Wakeboarding (with a helmet), on a half cab gone bad, caught a back side edge. Immediate reversion to tingling extremeties.

My riding has been stifled by these. I still go out and do grabs/180s, but my fear level has increased and hence my balls have shrunk. I need my brain to do my job.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
1st was me and my dad riding dirtbikes in the mountains and went around an off camber corner and slick rock with wet leaves over it means 1 good concussion.

2nd was practicing motocross and hit a double cross rutted so front tire plowed the landing and i woke up in hospital with a broken collar bone dislocated shoulder and concussion lol

3rd was motocross race right off the start in nationals(i had a badass 3rd place start too) idiot in second fell and i plowed him. i ended up finishing the moto and i came to inside mcdonalds with all my buddies and my truck in the parking lot lol needless to say i dont race anymore
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
2 from learning rallies and 1 from falling out of a tree
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
1.fell off the 8 foot tall box snowboarding and landed smack on my head on minnesota ice.

2.trying my first 3 behind the boat came up short and went over my heel edge.

3.I was to gap to front board this winter on our tall flat down and misses judged my speed missed the rail and went over my heelside edge. woke up 2 min later tried to ride down the hill to the rope tow and fell two more times
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Am I the only one who finds it kind of weird and inappropriate to be discussing concussions like they are some kind of trophy while a member of our wakeboard community lies in a coma as we speak?
How about the reports of former NFL players with PERMANENT mental disabilities from repeated head trauma... the worst of which has resulted in homelessness and suicide. Concussions are NOT cool.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
Dang dude just a discussion thats been goin for a while now. I hear ya but come on
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
I don't read into any of these anyone dicussing these as 'trophys'. Not disrespecting you Jamie, I just don't see your point. I didn't respond to these, or read into any of these, and sense of bragging.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I know.... under most circumstances I wouldn't even see it as a big deal...
The thread about Colby was started on the 20th and got a ton of hits. The very next day, this thread started.. At the time, it kind of struck me as "Hey, while we're talking about it, lets have a discussion about everyone's serious brain injuries!"
The story of Colby kinda hit me hard. That could be anyone. That's all. I'm not judging anyone who posted in this thread. I've had concussions.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
Agreed... Maybe the mods can move it to non-wake discussion or something atleast.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
I see you point Jamie, no worries.

Prays for Colby.
Old     (tripsteve)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-29-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
No concussions ....... that I can remember .... I think ???
Old     (fropappy)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-01-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Back in 2001 or 2002, I was riding at Louisiana Spring Fling with the Martar brothers and my buddy, Darrell. I remember trying a raley and some backrolls. (Don't think I made any of them) Next thing I know I'm riding in the boat wondering how I got there.
They showed me the video. I dug the front edge and took a nice face slapper on a wake jump.
WTF?
My wife was over two hours away in Arkansas.
She caught a ride down to Louisiana and drove my truck/towed our boat home.
That was my 3rd concussion.