Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-30-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
My wife is 3 months pregnant and is going absolutely crazy not wakeboarding. She is trying to find a solution that would make it safe to ride. Any thoughts on riding with a dry suit without taking the air out of it. Would that make her a female version of bubble boy by forming a protective bubble of air around her still small belly, or are we just crazy to even think of her wakeboarding??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-30-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
don't do it. is it really worth the risk of losing your child?

wait 6 more months. it's nothing...it's a hockey season.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2007, 3:27 AM Reply   
What does her doctor say?
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-31-2007, 4:12 AM Reply   
No No No No No
Old     (dubaisunshine)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Hi guys, I am in the 7th month pregnant now and I got the news in the 12th week - until then I had been wakeboarding, snowboarding and even did a parachute jump! Not talking about several parties :-))My baby boy survived all of it but:

1) I wouldn't have done all that if I would have known I was pregnant!
2) I remember in the beginning it all feels unreal and you don't want to acknowledge the fact that you have to abstain from a few things that used to belong to your life like a sports you're really into. Ask yourself: If you want this baby to be a healthy wakeboard champ one day (that's how I look at it) would you do ANYTHING to risk this joy?!!! Even if you're an advanced rider, you cannot predict what even the softest faceplant might cause to your baby!

I will rejoin my crew now and focus on improving my photography skills - watch my husband and friends go nuts and as soon as our lil boy joined us, he'll be riding with us and I will loose all these extra pounds easily!

At the moment I am doing 3 times a week prenatal Yoga which is really beneficial (also for getting back into wakeboarding afterwards!).

Hope this helps Antje
Old     (lexirunner)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
I was pregnant all of last summer, and while it was hard to stay away... i really thought of the baby and keeping it healthy. HOWEVER! I did do a few surf sessions as the falls are much lighter (a light splash into the water!) If she can get her balance, I'd say try wakesurfing.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-31-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
ultimately do you really think it is worth it? in the end know your limits everyone is different some riders i know are not responsible enough to ride even when they are injured..ehemmehm ...myself included but then i see other people riding responsibly and know their limits...i am a person who will say i just want a pull i am not going to do anything....but when i get up on the board everything changes...i've learned the hard way.. but if you are responsible enough i see no harm in getting your kicks, sometimes just getting up and carving around tames my appetite for wanting to ride hard when i am out of the game
Old     (tigegirl)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-31-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
Also keep in mind that hormones of pregnancy-relaxin in particular start loosening up your ligaments, spine, muscles, pelvis, etc. so one accidental fall might not hurt the baby but could be worse for her.
Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
Thank everybody for the response, now I can tell her "I told you so ." She is 13 weeks along and is going nuts not being able to wakeboard. Her thoughts were to fill up her dry suite with air and ride at about 14-15 mph just to get some time on the water and to give her a small fix until after the baby was born. I will now share this with her and hope that her and her pregnant hormones dont kick my (sore from wakeboarding) A$$!!!
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Yeah good luck with the not getting your a$$ kicked. And Congrats on the baby!!!
Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Brian, I showed my wife this thread last night and she admitted that she was probably more talk than anything and probably would have chickened out once it came time to slip on the bindings. But to all that know how pregnant woman work, she will probably deny ever seeing this once the boat is back on the water. I guess I will have print it out laminate it, then stick it on her board.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-02-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Anyone know at what point a pregnant woman should not be on the boat? I thought it was at the begining of the 2nd trimester. Just wondering.
Old    nwwakerider            06-04-2007, 1:52 AM Reply   
depends what kind of boating it is. if the ride is smooth im sure she could be on the boat til she pops. but anything rough wouldnt be a good idea, it would prolly add to the morning sickness part of it.
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2007, 11:14 PM Reply   
I'm 7 months pregnant too and going crazy not boarding. I also went through the phase of thinking that I could board for the first couple of months but when I got on the water, all I could think about was about a stupid fall that would jeopardize his health. :-( I'm with you and dying to get out there but baby first... And I think wakeboarding without jumping just isn't wakeboarding.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I dont want to get pregnant because I have to give up wakeboarding and snowboarding. When is the right time to stop being selfish.
Old     (dubaisunshine)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2007, 3:42 AM Reply   
The right time is when destiny takes over seriously, I was also wakeboarding, snowboarding, parachute jumping... just picture yourself teaching your own lil son or daughter all these beautiful sports, watch them grow and progress and share all the fun - I actually can't think of anything more rewarding!! And this prospect helped my to overcome my own selfish "i wanna ride my boards" thoughts ... And since kids have no fear, pretty soon I'm expecting to be taught wicked jumps by my own offspring! Anything more to convince you? :-)
Old     (lexirunner)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
i was out on a wakeboard boat until the day before i gave birth (3 days after my due date), and I had no problems with anything... I also wasn't aware that you "weren't supposed to" ride in boats????
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
I'm glad the breeding years are over for us!

it will be worth it for her to wait

nothin quite like seeing the kids throw their first trick
Old     (dubaisunshine)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
i'm also still on the boat - at least i can take photos and give stupid advise on how to improve belly serving as nice tripod by the way...
Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
Ok, my wife is being such a trooper!! She has decided to not kick my a$$ for still riding and she is even driving for me. As for not being on a boat, YEA RIGHT!! Not to be a smart ass, but she is not going to stop living by being afraid of riding in a boat, the next thing is that she is going to have to stop smoking crack and doing pcp !!!! What is this world coming to, lol. Actually we live on a small private lake and the water is almost always butter so its not hard on her and the baby.
Old     (tige_suz)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
Your only worry riding in the boat is not having a bathroom close by. If the waves are rough you'll need to pee every 2 minutes. That baby will be bouncing on your bladder like it's a trampoline.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
Thats what swim decks are for