Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    zorforg            06-18-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
We have an 02 X-9. When I back up, the brakes lock-up, I go forward and then it releases, I have to go through this many times to put the boat in the garage. I have been going through a lot of fuses also. The shop said they could not find anything wrong. This happens with our 02 suburban and my brother in laws 02 suburban and his F250. Anybody else have this problem or any ideas?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
they should automatically release the brakes when you back up. do you have a 5 wire harness, or 4 wire? you can also try this, there is a little button right under the ball coupler, press is a couple of times then try to back up, that realeases the brakes.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-18-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
Try flipping the connector over. In other words do not connect the male and female terminals. The turn your headlights on, this will “trick” the system into thinking the back-up lights are wired and you should be able to back up. If this blows fuses or does not work there is a short somewhere…most likely in the break release solenoid.
Old    sickboy            06-18-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
Or try to back up a little slower. If you jam it in reverse, it will activate the brake actuator (sp?).
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2003, 12:46 AM Reply   
either you dont have a reverse lockout solenoid or its not getting power, try what zedz dead said or get your meter out and see if its not getting power when you put the truck in reverse, chances are you dont have the right connector on the truck side (probably only 4 wire) and the trailer has a 5 wire plug
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-19-2003, 4:50 AM Reply   
I have the same problem and am switching the plug and turning on my lights. Is an adapter available?
Old    tommyadrian5            06-19-2003, 6:48 AM Reply   
Go here

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code= 20036&Category_Code=A

This is the 4-pole to 5-pole adaptor. It is meant to plug into the 4-pole and has an extra wire that is meant to run to the cars reverse wire, however if you want to make it easy you can just cut this short and splice it(they give you quicksplice connectors) into the taillight wire on the adaptor, then when you turn your lights on it makes the trailer think it is in reverse and releases the trailer brakes. Works well for me, and cheaper/easier than rewiring the whole car. They also make the adaptor plugs that are 5-pole, if your car/truck already has the socket. The link is below.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code= 20018&Category_Code=A

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on June 19, 2003)
Old    zorforg            06-26-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the posts. I tried all of the above. The trailer still locks up when I back up. Took me 40 minutes to put the trailer in the garage. Found out my pig-tail was messed up. It still should not be blowing fuses.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2003, 9:51 PM Reply   
I just installed a 7 pin electrical outlet on my car and then bought a 5 pin to 7 pin adapter. Much easier to change out than a 5 pin. Haven't had any problems.
Old    x10            06-26-2003, 10:09 PM Reply   
My first five wire adapter had a loose wire on the back up light connection that led to the same problem you are having....I'd check it if you haven't already
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2003, 7:11 AM Reply   
This happened to me last night. I got out and checked the plug to trailer wire connection and it was a little loose. I pushed it back together tight and that fixed it. Might be a loose connection.
Old    debsxstar            06-27-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
I had this problem with my 02 Xstar. I don't think you have the right harnes. It needs to have 4 connections. For awhile I had to "reverse" the connector when ever I had to back up. I went to Uhaul and they set me up.
Old    debsxstar            06-27-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
oops I meant a 5 wire connection.