Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-04-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Just in case you haven't seen this up yet, Zane Schwenk uploaded a pic of the Corvette ZR-1 and Cadillac CTS-V supercharged 6.2L engine in a boat. I'm assuming xstar. Here's the quote from Zane:

"Maiden voyage with the new LSA 6.2 Liter super charged. Sounds awesome"

The tune in the ZR1 is 640 hp, tune in the CTS-V is 556. Nothing released yet as far as I know on how much power the mc tune is.

another quote from Zane today:

"Awesome engine I was so inspired to try some new tricks cause we were able to LOAD the crud out the boat...WOW."

Just thought I'd share my findings for the day.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-04-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
http://ping.fm/p/JB2dQ
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
And you thought the prices on those new boats were bad, just wait until this becomes an option...
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-04-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
the Black Mamba option????
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-04-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
I'd rather have an affordable diesel option! What is wrong with the boat and auto manufacturers that keeps them from putting small displacement turbos diesels in tow boats and trucks/SUVs?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-04-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Dude, that was my first board too!!! http://ping.fm/p/dPRON
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-08-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
This has been in the works for a while. The big block has been dumped in favor of a smaller supercharged motor. Should have a nasty amount of power and drink a nasty amount of gas. I agree with the diesel option. Heck, put the duramax in a boat. Talk about being about to load the crap out of it. That'd be sweet.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
I'm still not sure on the diesel in a boat. Yes the motor would perform well, but I'm not sure you could ever get rid of the smell from both the exhaust or the fuel. Gas washes off pretty easy, diesel, not so much. I guess if there was something like a FAE on there the exhaust would be manageable.

You can make A LOT of power with a turbo, I don't know why they are going with the super charger over it.
Old     (TimboSlice)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
turbocharging an engine for a wakeboard boat wouldnt be as beneficial as supercharging it because a turbocharger wouldn't give as much low end torque as a supercharger which is what youd want when trying to get 5000 extra pounds on plane
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-08-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
I'm guessing 650 + horsepower.......
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
Thats pretty sick!! gotta be expensive tho.
But its not HP that moves are sacked out boats, its torque. I know diesel isnt readily available at lakes, but Id like to see a big diesel in one of these eventually. Ive seen a little volvo TDI in a MC once, but im talkin like a monster 5.9L cummins, custom tuned, bigger ball bearing turbo, injectors, hell why not some water/meth injection.

Now that would get some serious weight moving and pretty efficiently!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
well Lionel considering that the ZR1 tune is 640 hp and the CTS V tune is 556 I'm guessing it'll be somewhere around the 600 hp range.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
The diesel option keeps coming up here which is something I didn't expect at the beginning of this thread. Diesels are rough, smelly, loud, and heavy compared to their gasoline counterparts. If you don't believe me ride in a dodge diesel compared to a gas job. Yes torque is there but gasoline suits the purpose far better in my opinion.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
I drive my 7.3L F350 every day. have you heard those new diesels? You can bearly tell they are running, its pretty impressive. I think the brand new cummins is a 5.9L, Im not entirely sure on the size (Im more of a ford/powerstroke guy) but those things are so quite and really smooth. I think with the new stuff thats going into diesels these days, it should definitely be looked into again.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-08-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
In the water, heavier = better.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-08-2010, 10:20 PM Reply   
625-649 ft lbs enough?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
I would hope so Lionel!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-08-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
Might have old data. Looks like those numbers are for the 8.4L......
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-09-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
yeah, diesel is a nice idea but I don't think I could handle the smell or soot build up.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
You guys obviously havent spent much time around the new diesels. I would have to lay under the tail pipe of my VW TDI to get a scent of the diesel fumes. The only time I smell anything is if I have the windows down at start up and that lasts for all of 5 seconds. Diesel is the answer for tow boats.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Yea the new diesels are crazy. I still like the older ones for truck applications, I love loud but the new ones are perfect for boats.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Diesel is where its at any time you are moving a heavy load. Anyone who thinks gas = diesel in towing or any sort of heavy movement clearly has never driven a diesel or worked in heavy machinery. For the purposes of moving a large amount of weight through water, diesel has TONS of advantages. There is nothing cooler than flying up a steep grade, towing a boat and a truckbed full of camping gear, going 65+ mph with the AC blasting in overdrive.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Haha and still passing gasser towing small trailers up hill

I love it, and love passing a prius while going up hill towing my boat with a truck full of people. high compression is a beautiful thing!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Wonder how much a surfer will smell the exhaust behind a heavily loaded diesel boat?
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
The diesel option would HAVE to be coupled with FAE in order for it to sell, but it's probably an even tougher battle to get it approved by the green police like the EPA and CARB. We've already seen that they've been requiring cat's on new boats in CA the last couple years. The reason that diesel trucks aren't subject to the normal regs for car emissions is because they're limited to 3/4 ton and up trucks, which are not considered light-duty. I'm not sure how an application in a wakeboat would fare against the standards they set.

Just food for thought...I'd love to see it, but seems like it's an uphill battle.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-09-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Your right. I haven't been around brand new diesels. But, I have been around ones that are only 2 or 3 years old and they blow out a lot of black smoke. I guess if they don't do that anymore than yeah, right on. Diesel would be sweet.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Tony, Diesels run so much cleaner that gassers. Very little nox, or any other chemical in diesel emissions. Only recently have they added the emissions garbage, DPF, CAT, and urea injection, to satisfy the hippies that know nothing about diesels. This stuff hurts more than it helps. The black stuff you see, is simply particulate matter, its just soot, which has vary little impact on the environment, and zero impact on global warming since It falls to the ground.

My 2002 F350 with the 7.3L came from the factory with a muffler. No cat or DPF (DPF wasnt around then) but Im running it right now straight pipe, legally.

the EPA doesnt have much to do with the offroad industry I thought? Because you can pretty much do anything to any motor, and run it off road. Theres no off road licensing...boats dont have the same standards as cars....or am i wrong here?
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Joey, good info. The only reason I say you'd need FAE is because you wouldn't want to have all the particulates flying in the face of a surfer or wakeboarder that you're pulling.

I don't know how much the EPA can regulate offroad vehicles, but that just makes me wonder why cats are now required on boats in CA. Obviously, it's a state issue vs. federal, but I'm not sure where the mandate comes from--CARB, Dept of Boating & Waterways, etc.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
Yea I would agree with the FAE, Id like an FAE on my boat now to be honest. Thing about cats, you can take em off, theres no way they will do emissions on boats, and you know the manufacturers are gonna want their boats to perform the best so it would be easy to remove im sure.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Turbos can make just as much torque as superchargers. Size of the turbine has a ton to do with it. My wifes Audi has a little 2.0 T motor and makes peak torque from 2k rpms up. They fall a bit flat on top, but that's where cams and rpm's can overcome the lack of grunt. It's amazing what they can do these days. The new motors are really cool. A 6cyl turbo gas motor would be bada$$ in a boat, too. Torque to get it on plane and economy when off boost. It'd be killer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Tony, Diesels run so much cleaner that gassers. Very little nox, or any other chemical in diesel emissions. Only recently have they added the emissions garbage, DPF, CAT, and urea injection, to satisfy the hippies that know nothing about diesels. This stuff hurts more than it helps. The black stuff you see, is simply particulate matter, its just soot, which has vary little impact on the environment, and zero impact on global warming since It falls to the ground.
I've read the same info quoting details like this. But then I get in my gasser & drive down the road. The second I am sitting at a stop light with the window down & a diesel truck next to me in traffic, it's tough to breathe without sucking in something. I don't know what it is, maybe not soot because you can't see it, but it stinks to high heaven. It's hard to believe it's not polluting on some level.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-10-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
A toyota Supra 2jz motor would be awesome... huge hp potential and with today's technologies lag isn't an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-cT6mra1Pw

How about a good ole Rotory Turbo? Gotta love the sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxK2...eature=related
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-10-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
once i end up killing my vlx it would be nice to drop a duramax in it. alot of custom work though
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Bill, it is polluting on some level, but not to the extent of a gasser. When your in a diesel, you dont smell it at all. I cant give you an exact answer on what that smell is, I can just tell you that the makeup of what your smelling constains significantly less pollutants than the exhaust of a gasser. I really dont think you would smell the diesel unless your sitting with the motor running for a long time. Doubt you would smell it much surfing either, since you dont typically smell the gas exhaust often. on our boat you only get a whif of it every now and then.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'd love to have my Power Stroke in a boat. it'd be such a head turner when you fired it up at the dock and the cool turbo whistle everytime you take off on boost. It'd be bada$$. Plus you could pull a house and turn about 1500 rpms at ride speed.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
evan which powerstroke do you have?
idk if you would be able to hear the whistle at the dock, but you could def hear that monster spool at takeoff!!

My truck whistles like a monster at around 1100 rpm