Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-29-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Has anybody actually done a pumpless ballast setup before? Im curious to know what kind of pressure a 1" thru hull will generate at cruising speeds.

My setup is finished, and I'm hoping to put the boat in the water wednesday morning.

The setup works like this. I have a 1" thru hull scoop mounted through the hull, just to the port side of the tracking fins. I have a 1" full port ball valve for a safety shutoff. From there, I have a 1" Tee, , some reducers, and 5/8 hose barbs. I run two 5/8 hoses under the motor, through the bilge to the rear of the boat, then up and under the rear seat. The hoses have full port shutoff valves and blue adapters at the ends. This attaches to the bottom hole of each 540 sac on each side of the motor box.

The idea is that while under way, you open the inline valves hooked up to each of he two sacs. This allows water to fill the sacs. Once theyre full, close the valves and the water will stay in the sacs. To drain, while the boat is stationary, open the valves and gravity will do its thing.

If the proof of concept works well, Ill spend the money on upgrading to larger diameter hose. If the performance isnt quite what I was hoping for, Ill install a couple of aerator pumps inline to fill, and a couple more for drain.