Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2010, 12:43 AM Reply   
All it took was a 50 mile ride with some steep and long climbs. The fixie is up for sale and the new Wilier Izoard is on order.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Nice bike! I went on my usual 16 mile (which is really nothing, I know) bike ride last weekend, on my MTB with the tires at 70 lbs., and kicked butt. It really felt good! There are some good hills (understand that I live in the Mississippi River Delta though) and I tried to maintain good speed up all those hills. I would love to have a road bike. Keeping my eyes peeled! Enjoy your new ride when it comes in!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Nice, but you need to keep the Fixie... All ways fun to ride.

I did >70 miles yesterday on my rain bike (summer had not quite arrived yet in the Seattle area, it's here nicely today though). Only averaged 16.5mph, hit every hill I could. Will do 80+ tomorrow on the TT bike and work on more speed/tempo stuff over rolling roads and skip the climbs.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Yeah here in MS it is pretty flat. Makes it easy to find unpopulated areas to do centuries though
Old    alanp            07-07-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
pretty bike. i would never think to own a fixed gear unless i was racing track. ive gotten back into riding and racing this year and been having fun doing some local crits. enjoy the new ride.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-07-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Darren,
That is a sweet bike. Have fun with it!!!

Im riding up Palomar mountain today ( 9 miles 4200ft of climbing ) to get ready for Mont Ventoux in 1 week when Im in France.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Beauty!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Willers are very nice. Im sure you will be more than happy with it and after you get that one you can get this one
http://www.wilier.it/it/catalogo/roa.../cento1-crono/
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
I've never understood the fixie craze.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Regarding Fixies, I really like training on them during the off months. Then during the summer months, I'll do a couple of hard days here and there on my fixie. Really good for strength building and cadence work. The funny thing is too ride fixed for a week or so, then hope back on a regular bike. I don't change gears for a while (~30 miles or so) and just power up hills without changing gears. Drives some of my riding buddies nuts till I settle back into use gears on hills.

Last year I raced a local Sprint Tri on my Tri-bike converted to fixed. Averaged 24mph on a somewhat hilly course. Not bad, did it for kicks. Got a lot of funny looks in the transition area. Have thought about doing an Ironman fixed too, but would like do it single speed so I have a little left in my legs to shuffle the marathon.

Last edited by magic; 07-08-2010 at 3:17 PM. Reason: 'mo details
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
Apart form Sean who is mentally unbalanced Fixies are for the cool kids who want to ride but like to buck the status quo by wearing baggy clothes, no helmets and short long pants to show off the tattoos on there calves. Generally they say "wot" a lot and like to snear at people in spandex. They also like to make out they are really awesome at riding by going as fast as possible past people on geared bikes doing there 100mile rides on the way to the shops 5 miles away. I am far to mature for such carry on (now) so have upgraded to full road bike.

Last edited by ralph; 07-08-2010 at 7:29 PM.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Lol!

Sean, you are insane.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2010, 9:58 PM Reply   
I see Fixies all the time when Im working downtown in San Fran , LA or Philadelphia and can understand the whole Underground / Bike Messenger Scene that they have going there. But what I don't understand is the Suburban USA Fixie/want to be bike messenger 20 somethings that are riding them all over my town. We have no businesses that need a bike messenger but each one of these 20something kid has the shoulder bag riding a fixie. I was on a ride the other day and pulled up next to a guy at a light ( Mint green Fixie with deepdish rims 12" handlebar, skinny jeans, v neck t-shirt, hadn't shaved in 5 days messy hair guy), I asked him if he was a bike messenger, he said " no , whats that??" I just kind of laughed and said never mind and took off" it was classic.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
As an aside i love the look of the TT/tri bikes like G posted but everyone tells me they are pretty limited on long rides or climbs. True or false?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2010, 12:56 AM Reply   
Old bike went to new owner tonight, new bike ready for me to collect tomorrow. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
As an aside i love the look of the TT/tri bikes like G posted but everyone tells me they are pretty limited on long rides or climbs. True or false?
I have done many 100+ mile rides on Tri bikes. My old frame (Litespeed, now the current Fixie) was very comfortable over long distance and faster over distance than any road bike I've been on. It did not climb the steeper stuff as well as a stiff roadie, but it was not designed too.

My current Tri bike is lighter and stiffer than my old Litespeed. It's about 1 to 2mph faster than my roadie with the same effort on most roads. climbs really well for a Tri bike, but not quite as good as a road bike due to the seat post angle. You are simply set to far forward on Tri/TT bike to engage the right muscles for hard core climbing. For speed, aero is king and that's what Tri/TT bikes are good at, getting your body into an aero position.

I have a 35 mile hilly point to point route that I like to ride, my new Tri bike is 5 to 10 mins faster than my roadie over that ride. It climbs well enough that I don't loose much speed and is faster on the flats and rollers. Specialized has some results online that demonstrate the speed increase as you move from a roadie to a roadie with aerobars, to a Tri/TT bike to a Tri/TT bike with aero kit (helmet/wheels...), it's pretty significant.

I'm planning on doing a 225 mile solo ride this coming Saturday, no question I will be using my Tri bike. I'll drop the aero wheels and run a different set for the ride, that's a pic of the bike in race trim.
Attached Images

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Found the testing I was looking for above, Road vs Tri/TT bike: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-is-aero-19273
It's about 25% less power required at 40km/hr on a Tri bike vs Road bike.

While riding solo on a roadie, try chasing down a fast moving solo rider on a Tri/TT bike. You'll be surprised just how much effort it takes.

Fit is king though, it's easy to go over board trying to get your aero bike fit really low. Doing this moves your hips into a less efficient angle and you start to loose power. So there is a balance that needs to be found, aero vs comfort vs power. I use our CompuTrainer at home to dial my fit in. You can see the drop in power when your hips get positioned wrong.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Sean.... you are one hard core SOB. Ha, ha, ha....

incidently... just because you ride a road bike doesn't mean you have to wear spandex. I skip the whole getup for my commute to work. I usually wear cutoff long adidas workout pants and a t-shirt. I use a snowboard backpack that has hip and chest straps. I can haul food, clothes and lot's of other stuff comfortably. Plus it's fun to get the looks of disgust from the hardcore cyclists that are out training when I'm headed to work.

Sweet bikes guys. I'm getting the itch to start upgrading components or maybe sell the Bianchi and make a little step up to something lighter.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Sean.... you are one hard core SOB. Ha, ha, ha....

incidently... just because you ride a road bike doesn't mean you have to wear spandex. I skip the whole getup for my commute to work. I usually wear cutoff long adidas workout pants and a t-shirt. I use a snowboard backpack that has hip and chest straps. I can haul food, clothes and lot's of other stuff comfortably. Plus it's fun to get the looks of disgust from the hardcore cyclists that are out training when I'm headed to work.

Sweet bikes guys. I'm getting the itch to start upgrading components or maybe sell the Bianchi and make a little step up to something lighter.
What? You don't pack any baby oil so you can rub your legs down before going into Starbucks to drive the Cougars crazy.... I have heard of dudes doing this.... not kidding.

This is how I roll the miniMagic to school now and then. You should see the faces on pro wannabe's when I pass them wearing MTB shoes and regular clothes and the little one is ringing bike bells from inside the Chariot.
Attached Images

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
This weekend's fun, did a 230 mile loop over three nearby mountain passes. On the way back I had a very stiff headwind for 60 of last 80 miles.

For those of you in the Seattle area; I road from North Bend to Carnation, to Steven's Pass, to Leavenworth, over Blewett, to Cle Elum, I-90 over Snq Pass and on back down.
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
You are a crazy man
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Sean, did you do the Coeur d'Alene Ironman this year? If so, how did you do?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
That is nuts.....NUTS.

Makes me somewhat embarassed to report my 60M Tour de Park City ride last weekend....
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
Sean, did you do the Coeur d'Alene Ironman this year? If so, how did you do?
No IMCdA for me. I'm doing the Lake Steven's Half Ironman next month for my long Tri. We are focusing more on marathons this year. Will likely do 4 before the end of the year.

I might do Ironman Canada again next year, so far that has been my favourite race. Ironman Cozumel was a nice location too, but I like Canada better for a race venue.