Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (bobbyd)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-21-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
I am installing them on top of the tower (the tower is powder coated) due to headroom.

Anyone have any experience with them giving in to gravity? They are new and are as tight as I can get them with the tape under them that comes with the setup. They seem to make it 70% of the rotation down after a couple of days on the tower. I am using the spacers that connect with pressure, so I think they are correct.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-21-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
Bobby,

Sounds like you may not have the right inserts or that your tower is a bit off in terms of the size tubing. Once truly tight, they should not slip. Upside down is a bit harder to keep them from moving but you should still be able to get them from slipping.

Best thing to do is try the smaller size inserts. Or if those are too small. Try using one of the smaller inserts with one of inserts you are using now. This works perfect on odd sized towers.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Wanna know what I did? I basically wrapped black tape around my tower to make it thicker, then applied a peice of sand paper and a small piece of cardboardon top of it, so it had some grip. They hold perfect now.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-21-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Bobby, I have a similar situation on mine, but they are mounted on the sides...I called Justin at WS and he suggested the same as Tim, use a smaller insert along with the existing size insert for the odd size towers. I just did that and they are alot tighter. My tower is 2 inches supposedly but a 2" and a 1 3/4" made it alot better. I'll know this weekend if I should move both sides down to 1 3/4".
On my previous speakers, I took so no slip cabinet matting and wrapped it around and then placed the brackets to it. It seemed to help as well.

(Message edited by silvermustang35 on May 21, 2009)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-21-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Bobby,

All collars with inserts, regardless of brand, have problems holding in over-the-top installs or when folding down the tower. But collars with inserts won't scar your tower and this issue is 100% fixable.

If you've got your collars mounted at a point where the tower curves a bit then this will distort the shape of the tube so its no longer perfectly round. This can compound the problem with the collars properly grasping the tower. Powdercoating enlarges the diameter which generally helps. There are a couple of techniques we use, one of which should remedy slipping.

If you can see that the flat portion of the insert halves meet without a slight gap between them then sand down the flat section of the sleeves. By introducing a slight gap you can get the inserts to grab a little tighter.

Try using the next size smaller inserts. It may be a struggle to initially get the machine screws started into the collar but once they start threading the inserts usually flex enough to conform and grab. This may not be an option considering that your tower is oversize due to the powdercoat.

Clean that portion of the tower with an ammonia-based glass cleaner to remove any wax, etc. The tape tends to slip once everything warms up in the sun. You can use a thicker neo-type rubber that you can source from most any hardware store. Foam lacks the strength. Plastic is too rigid. Rubber compresses and possesses the necessary strength. You just may need a slightly thicker alternative. Or, if your tolerances are tight enough you can use multiple and evenly spaced dabs of silicon between the tower and inserts. But work fast because silicon loses all strength and adhesion properties if moved around after it starts to cure.

If you conclude that your tower tube is seriously out-of-round then holler back for a different fix.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
What Tim said will work. That is what I did on mine and no more slipping.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-22-2009, 12:17 AM Reply   
I did those same things (except the silicone) and still have a problem with slippage. Tim was awesome and sent me extra collars, and they were cool for a bit, but I still have a little slip issue. It's better than it was before but it's not perfect.. (Sorry Tim, didn't want to be a nag..)
I have a 2 & 3/8ths skylon tribal tower, not odd shaped at all.. and they're in so not on a curve of the tower. I'd be curious if there were any other suggestions also.
Good luck!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-22-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Mike, Your not a nag! So did you try the 2 sizes?

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
I don't have Wetsounds speakers, but I ended up using rubber from an innertube on my Infinity's to protect the powder coat on my tower, and they won't rotate at all! I think the rubber being pinched in there tight really helps the slipping. Give that a try.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-22-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
We've tried lots of materials, vinyl cove base, heat-formed ABS, etc, etc.

But silicon rubber and neoprene rubber sheeting seem to be strong enough, will compress enough, but most important will GRIP. We use red silicon rubber sheeting in 1/16" & 1/8" thickness. When you wrap it around the tube you can tell instantly how well it grips. So just in case all else fails give this a try.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-23-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
David where can I get some of that material?