Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (chvywkbrdrmc205)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-17-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
ok so who read the article about the winch? i think this thing is possibly the coolest invention to date. i live on the carquinez straights, which are choppy most of the time. however there are those calm days where its glass, and i mean absolute perfect conditions. however my dad (and myself) do not want to take the boat in salt whatever and by the time we got the boat out and out behind the house the glass might be gone. now with this winch setup i could anchor it in my backyard and just run out and go. man this is the best news ive heard in so long
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-17-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
I know, i'm getting one for sure, like right now I'm in Farmington, ME and there are all these perfectly glassy bodies of water arround that are untouchable because I don't have a boat up here. Man I'm gonna wear that thing down to nothing! I wonder though, do you have to have a trailor hitch to anchor it to or can you just anchor it to the ground? Cause I don't have a trailor hitch... when will they be available to buy?
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-17-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
I think I'd have to see this thing to "believe" it. Sounds like you'd spend more time walking/swiming than actually riding. But hey..it if works...great! If you're not lucky enuf to have access to a boat....then this may just be your ticket.....
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
So you get a 333 foot ride out of this thing huh? Wow! That is impressive!

Did any of you stop and think…there is no wake and no way to load the line like at a cable park. What are you going to do build a slider course around it?

By the way if you ride at 23MPH you are in for a 9.8 second run.

Sounds like it is well worth $850.00 to me!

“A fool and his money are soon parted” (P.T. Barnum)
Old    tattoobling            09-18-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Zed,

I do have a solution to the issues that you've pointed out. Obviously noboy wants just a ten second run. So, I will slow mine down to 5 MPH and using tremendous progressive edging techniques I will generate my own speed and allow myself to create a huge amount of slack and get ahead of the rope. This will enable me to reverse my direction of travel, much like a surfer makes a cut back on a wave, and execute a number of stylish tricks while traveling away from the "winch". When the slack tightens (at the break-neck speed of 5 MPH) I will then perform yet another "cut back" and resume my travel toward the "winch". With a series of cut backs and "double cut backs" I figure I can get at least a minute ride out of this thing.

Across flat water you say? Problem solved: My cousin owns a mid-size demolition company. I plan on using the winch along a little-known trout stream in rural Pennsylvania, a good distance from most major population areas. I will run a series of medium concussion blasts along the bank of the river. Using a high tech timing and detonation system my cousin will simultaneously activate the winch and the blasts, creating a series of waves in the river. It is off these "waves" that I will utilize my mad skillz to perform a cornucopia of technical, yet stylish "grabs", "pokes", and "jibs". And who knows, with the proper training and dedication I may achieve the elusive "invert". I know what you're saying, all those cutbacks are gonna wear me out and some fly fishermen may be wounded by the volley of explosions...but you know what they say, "if you're gonna make an omelet....." Man this thing is gonna be the shizzle, my fellow nizzles.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-18-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Didn't it say the there is a 1000 foot line on the winch? I thought thats what it said in the article. It would be good for working on tech tricks and stuff, you could prob. get like 3+ tricks in going like 18 mph on a 1000 foot line. It would be great for spring with all the flooding and even those perfect lakes during the summer months. How long of a pull would you get going 18 mph on a 1000 foot line? (I suck at math)
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
^^^^^

37.88 seconds
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
Sorry I meant 333 yards not feet. Kaiser you are the man…but one question, with the current high price of explosives and the potential for law suits wouldn’t it just be cheaper and easier to buy something CRAZY like a BOAT? I know it is a radical concept but give it some thought.

By the way the distance of these so called rides behind this piece of junk are shorter than the math allows…you still have to have this thing pull you up (distance unknown) and how far from shore are you parking it.

Here is an idea…get some friends that have a boat, you’re going to need some lunk head to operate this thing anyway. Buy a used jet ski (price is about the same, give or take). Anything but this!
Old    tattoobling            09-18-2003, 7:43 AM Reply   
Zed,

Thanks for pointing that out but I'm not worried too much about lawsuits. I'm pretty sure that Correct Craft has a patent on that concept and I won't be blowing anything up near those people.
Old    tattoobling            09-18-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
Eureka!! I have found the Holy Grail! I just went on Ebay and found what I believe to be the only remaining one of it's kind in existence. It is a personal, remotely operated watersports device and it can be seen here: http://www.solowatersports.com

Y'all can slum around all you want with your Beer Wench or whatever ya call it, while I am flying high!!

I knew some day my ship would come in, and this one doesn't even need a captain. Bon Voyage, Amigos!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
I've looked and i can't find it. Where is this winch article?
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Sweet only $7500!

What a bargin...and they offer overnight delivery!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Kaiser. What are you paying for that? For $7500.00 you can buy a boat!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Kaiser is this you? Did you do same day delivery?

soem picture
Old    tattoobling            09-18-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
Don't you be dissin' me J-Rod, this IS a boat! But unlike all you co-dependents, I need no driver! PLUS I got it on Ebay. It was only used once (apparently the fool thought it sucked) and I saved over $600!

And Zed, are you a private investigator or what? 'Cause I just got it an hour ago (yep same day delivery) and me and...well nobody else....just set sail on its maiden voyage. I set up an automatic 32000 bpi neural net imaging camera with a dsl-1 SAT line and I have been beaming some images to friends, I mean friend, world wide. These images are password encrypted and I'd sure like to know how you found them. It was supposed to be a secret.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
No dissin man...that's just a lot of money! Let us know how it works!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
lol@ J-Rod..

Look up sarcasm..

B-
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-18-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
Sarcasm isn't that located just north of the Marianas Trench?
Old     (chvywkbrdrmc205)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-18-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
ok well i do have access to a boat, we have one but the straights behind my house are salt water, our boat doesnt touch salt water. our back deck is about 8 feet above the water and 10 feet away, i figure it takes me 20 feet tops to get up. i could build a few simple sliders/kickers and work on my tech with this thing and all around riding for the fun of it. its certainly no SANTE with 2500+ lbs of ballast, but it seems like a good offseason learning tool for me. i could be ready to go in 10 mins tops
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
It doesnt seem like it would be too difficult to make. Also you can string some cheap line on, because you really wont be loading the line to do tricks off the wake. You could set up a slider and a kicker and practice. The only thing that will really suck is you will have to take off your board everytime and walk back and then put your board back on.

You need two, one at each side and you could go back and forth.
Old    mmj420            09-19-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
uhhhh......

okay people, have any of you seen sfumato ? this winch has a cameo appearance in the movie that may change your attitude towards this little invention. Thomas Horrell does not do much wakeboarding anymore so i don't think he really had that in mind for this contraption. he developed this thing so he could wakeskate in places and situations that would not accomodate a boat. If this does not make sense to you than get the movie and you will see what i mean. .......it seems ideal to set up a small slider and jib it on a skate .....have you ever been to a huge ski resort and sessioned one rail all day ...hardly hitting up anything else cause that rail was soooo fun ? well i have and i think that this thing was designed for people like me ....(maybe i am an idiot, i don't know)
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-19-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
What about setting up a kicker or two in a canal that you live by? That would work.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
Put 333 yards of rope out behind you boat and tell me about the pull...slack city. This thing won't work.
Old    draino            09-22-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
the purpose of the winch is to make wakeskating more accesable to everyone. It was never intended for wake boarding. think about, after a good rain storm you could take the winch to a decent size puddle throw a slider or something in it and session it all day.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2003, 11:43 PM Reply   
so ??youll need a buddy to start and stop this thing? and a very large power supply(big...very big generator or a 220/408 high power electric motor) that will cost ?? Or does this thing have it built in?? Then youll need to anchor it down....sorry id rather ride behind a lake roach all day long wherever we wanted to ride then being stuck in a rain puddle but thats just me??
S. Mullaney , boeshield and salt away are your friend. So many people let the corrosive and detremental effects of salt scare them away when the water is right under their noses??
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2003, 1:20 AM Reply   
1 person operation will be possible apparently, it has a motor on it so no you won't need a power supply, and it attaches to the tow point on your truck.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-23-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
you still need a second person to start and stop it. But c'mon, who wants to ride by themselves anyway? Who's gonna beleive you when you stomp your first kickflip?
Old    awlang            09-23-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
I missed the article. Where is it posted?
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-23-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
Just get your car or trucks on blocks and tie a rope to the axle. Set the cruise control to 22 and your set.
Old    bmanİ            09-24-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
you could also use this thing for hittin rails on your snowboard.. you could set it up by the rail and have it pull you towards it so that you wouldn't need a couple friends to push you to get enough speed to hit the rail...
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
Adam, I asked a while ago where the article was and to my suprise no one helped me!
Here you go. http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2003/expo1.asp