Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-16-2008, 1:01 AM Reply   
Hello guys,

I have asked similar question to the Moomba forum but I would like to ask here again to get a more "honest" answer. I am thinking of buying a Moomba XLV.

I have the following 2 questions:

1) Salt water use. I live in Greece and at the picture below is where I am hoping to have my brand new boat.

[img]http://www.ixor3d.com/files/myplace.jpg[/img]

The problem is that is a salt water lake. I am not planning to drive to the open water / sea, but I would like to ask your opinion about salt water use.

2) If not Moomba XLV, what about the Centurion Avalance C4? Any other boat do you recommend within $50K?

If there are any disadvantages about Moomba please let me know. Unfortunately I can not test drive any of these boats here so my order is mainly based upon your input and reviews.

Thank you,
Andronikos
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
WOW! That place is amazing! Here is a post I did a month ago about putting a nautique in saltwater. I am not sure what year you are looking at, I am assuming they are not new. You should look for used MasterCraft's with the salt series package. I am not sure if there is much of a market but it is worth a try. They are the best currently. I think Tige also does a salt package but not as extensive. The main thing everyone says you should be cautious of is the trailor. Most trailors go bad before the boat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/569311.html
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Tige would be worth looking at I know they have good salt water boats with more than just a heat exchanger. Maybe check out the tigeowners forum. They have quite a few boats in that range. TigeMike might be able to chime in or kko.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-16-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have a friend with a 2005 VLX that has over 500 hours and over half of it was used in saltwater with no problems, just regular maintenance. He has the Fresh Water Cooling kit and knows some tricks if you are puting it in saltwater. His boat looks and runs amazing still. Let me know if you want anymore info and I will talk to him or send you his contact info.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Tige does offer a salt water package as an option. Many Tige owners, especially in FL, have been running their boats in salt water with not problems at all. Just make sure you take the boat out of the water with an aluminum trailer or galvanized (sp?) trailer and fresh water rinse. However, i am sure you can do that with just about any boat manufacturer out there. .02
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-16-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
Hello guys,

Thank you all for your replies.

Matt: Thank you for the link! The lake is really nice, I will go there soon for some wakeskating with my small 15' feet boat. :-)

tampawake: I really like Tige boats, thank you for the info!

Breet: If your friend can give me some advices will be great. thank you!

David: thank you for the tips.

Other than the trailer & "closed / fresh water cooling" what other extras Mastercraft or Tige boats have to protect the boat against salt water use?

What about the Moomba XLV? Any disadvantages?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
I don't think any boat will have a disadvantage. IMO, you want to look at the warranty of the product. Since you live in Greece, definitely look at the dealerships that can offer you great customer support and even faster service of the boat.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sanger V215 or V237
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-16-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
That place you are hoping to ride at looks amazing! I ride on salt water most months out of the season and there are a few things I do to the boat to keep it in good shape. For one we get the Fresh Water cooling system put in the engine. We also purchase a product by Corrosion X which protects any corrosion from salt air and water [http://www.corrosionx.com/] We apply this to all major bolts and screws in the engine and trailer. I don't know much about Moomba and salt protection, but I know that malibu and Mastercraft both make special engines for salt water use. We havent gone this route simply because at this point we can only afford used boats, however, i have heard good things about these marine engines. Good luck in your search and post some pics if you ride at that spot!
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-16-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Hello again!

Wellman: Sanger boats looks really nice indeed! ...now my decision is more difficult... :-)

Do you know their price range of Sanger's?

Jeff: thank you for the Corrosion X link...

Thank you for the help once again...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Andron, your a ways away from any dealer help, I'm guessing, but the engine is what requires the most work. I don't know, but I suspect that Mercruiser would be easier to service in Greece than Indmar or PCM. It would be well worth your while to find out what can be serviced most conveniently. If it's Mercruiser then the Sanger and Centurian are your best bets.
Like most people here I'd love to get you to look at "my" boat because it was good enough for me to buy so it must be the best. (And of course we're all right)
It doesn't look like rough water is a big issue for you so decide if just the wake shape is important or if the appearance and handling are also very important. Good luck. Most new boats are very good.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       05-16-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Get a galv. trailer and fresh water cooling. I think you have to upgrade to the 340 hp engine to get the FWC kit installed, but they can get it in on the 325 hp, just takes more fanagaling.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
That Lake looks great!

I have been buying a Supra promo boat every year since 2004 for tournament use, but after I drove the new 08 Moomba XLV, I put serious thought in to running the a Moomba Gravity Edition this year over the Supra. I know its one of the best values in the industry. My wife choose the Supra over the Moomba because of color - the Gravity only comes in white. FYI Supra and Moomba are built in the same plant using the same construction process an materials with a few exceptions. I believe the quality is better than all other value brands.

The new hull for 2008 really help the boat come out of the hole quick and cleans up the wake for beginners at slower speeds. The change gives a little better transition at 23 mph and with the 1950lb factory ballast the wake is very big and super clean.

Moomba does offer a salt water package so make sure to get that. I am a big on the 340 HP with CAT. If you like white, get the Gravity Edition. They give you alot of extras for a packaged price. Here is link to great info on the Gravity Edition http://moomba.com/library/08_BoatingWorld-March_GGb.pdf
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-17-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Art: Indeed there are many MerCruiser dealers here - so I guess it will be much easier to find and service the engine. As far as Indmar there is only 1 or 2 dealers and I am not sure if they are 100% authorised...

Jeff: thank you. For sure these 2 I will include in my order.

Chris Walker: yes, XLVs have maybe the best wake of all the boats I can buy... but I am not sure if it is wise decission to have an Indmar engine... (I will look better - but I do not think we have any autorised technitian in Greece).

Let me conclude guys...
First of all thank you for all the help!!!

So after my research and your great help I have norrowed down and I am looking a reliable boat with the best wake - with MerCruiser engine.

So I guess is Sanger vs Centurion... But which Sanger and which Centurion???

(Message edited by andronikos916 on May 17, 2008)
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-17-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
...I had a quick look and I am not sure if the MerCruiser engines that are available with these boats have "closed cooling system"...

...:-(
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-17-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I keep changing my mind...

Here some info about the salt water protection from Indmar... I guess I just need to find an Indmar technician here and then order that Moomba XLV or GG!!!

Indmar Malibu Master Craft Skier's Choice/Supra/Moomba
Assault 325 Assault 340 Assault 6.0L Assault 8.1L

Note: All Skier's Choice Models are available as Salt Water Specific engines.

Experienced saltwater boaters will be the first to appreciate the extensive list of saltwater-specific details found in the Skier's Choice SS series. All marinized parts are E-coated, an advanced electro-coat dip process that provides optimum protection against corrosion. Unlike paints or powder coating, E-coating completely covers both external and internal surfaces, creating a permanent-paint-to-metal bond. Will not peel. Will not crack. Corrosion will not put a dent in it.

SS Cooling systems are totally closed and corrosion free. Saltwater never enters an SS engine system. It uses only propylene-glycol/water coolant driven by a high-flow pump. Coolant tanks are easily accessible for filling and maintenance and are equipped with sacrificial anodes for extended life.

http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/SkiersChoice/Assault-340/index.html
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-19-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
fresh water cooling system , galv. trailer. i have a friend with an XLV and runs it in salt/Brackish water. no probs. keep it clean, no probs
Old     (dan_miller)      Join Date: May 2008       05-23-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Andronikos,

Dan Miller here from Skier's Choice. Chris Walker let me know that you might have some questions on an XLV.

Don't want to turn this into a commercial, but I will help where I can.
You are correct that the new E-coating used by Indmar is the latest-greatest treatment in fighting engine corrosion. It is pretty high-tech in that it actually becomes a part of the metal, vs. just coating the metal.

I would echo the earlier posts, that you should order the Saltwater motor, and a galvanized trailer. Cleaning the salt off of, and out of your boat and trailer after every use will add years to your enjoyment.

Regarding the Indmar vs. Mercruiser discussion, it is true that Mercruiser has more general dealers in some countries. However, many of them are not very familiar with working on Inboard and V-Drvie boats. Indmar supplies the top 3 inboard boat builders in the industry, accounting for 65-70% of the total units sold each year. PCM supplies another 15-20%. That doesn't leave much for the other guys. In both cases, Inboards are their specialty, and they provide the best product/service, because it is all they do.

There are two types of salt-water packages out there: Full systems, and half systems.
Full systems don't run any salt water into the motor at all. This is more like a automobile cooling system. Nice, but they add quite a bit more cost.
Half systems (most common), will run coolant through the main part of the motor to avoid corrosion in the most critical parts. The half system would pick up outside water, to cool the exhaust manifolds and v-drive unit. If you run the half system it is advisable to also add the flush kit - a freshwater hose connection, that allows you to flush the saltwater out of the exhaust manifolds, and v-drive unit after each use.

If I can be of assistance, feel free to contact me at the factory. I don't get the time to get on Wakeworld as much as I would like.
write us at: moombainfo@skierschoice.com
It will get forwarded to me.
Old     (outlaw_78)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-25-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
whatever you do, don't get the merc. it will rust to bits in a few years. the saltwater motors would last heaps longer
Old     (andronikos916)      Join Date: May 2008       05-26-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Hello Dan I think is better to e-mail you with my Moomba related questions.

Thank you D dogg.

Thank you all for the help.