Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (hbohnet)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-23-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
I am new to this forum and am looking for some feedback from you experienced boaters. I started wakesurfing this summer and am totally hooked. I am considering purchasing either a 07 VLX or an 07 Air Nautique 210 team edition. I have surfed behind the Nautique but have only ridden in a VLX once so I have no personal comparison between the two and besides that, I am not that accomplished of a surfer. I appreciate any advice or comments.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-23-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
if you are looking for a better surf wake, go with the vlx. if you are going with a better wakeboarding wake, go with the 210
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
i'd say to go with the vlx. no offense to any 210 owners but i wouldn't pay 20 grand for that boat. i just don't like it. i don't like the seating lay out or the wake. i like the 06 and down 210's but not the new ones. i have a lot of experience with both boats. the vlx is a very solid boat. great wakeboard wakes and great surf wakes.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-23-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
the new 210 wake is the most solid, firm, amazing wake I've ever been on, if you got the money i would go nautique...
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
From a past 210 owner the nautique quality is exceptional. Far surpassed my friends malibu of the same year. I am not bashing because the newer malibus have come a long way and have tons of space. I had my 210 from 2000 until today and only mechanical ever was a starter and solenoid. This boat never let me down and the wake is great all around for surfing too. I only sold it because I bought a 236. Good luck All opinions Aside demo Both boats and buy what feels best to you. Also if it tells you anything A guy did some research and some demos and just drove 28 hours one way to pick up my nautique
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'm not sure how the 210 compares to the 211, but out of all boats I've ever been behind, the 2007 211 I road behind several times this last Summer had the best and most perfect wake I've ever been on. I liked everything else about the boat like the setup as well.

If you can, try to get behind the boats you're considering.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Sorry Ryan, no offense to you, but your profile says you're 18. You have "alot" of experience with boats? How much is alot.

Malibu makes a good boat, so do alot of MFGers. I've seen a better surf wake from a 211 than from a VLX. I don't think ant of the 210s make the best surf wake around. I personally like the Enzo 23 for surfing but didn't really for WBing.

Personal preference.

VLX over the 210 for surf wake only-probably
VLX over 210 for WBing-no
VLX best for surfing- not IMHO
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-24-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
do your best to test drive and ride behind both of them.

nautique has a great reputation for wake and quality. some do not like or have not adjusted to the new 07 210

malibu has great wakes and if you search, you will hear a lot of arguments on their build quality
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
I'm a big fan of CC, but I have to agree that the seating layout in the 07 210 sucks nutz
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
The 210 is tiny inside, not worth the money. Vlx wake is every bit as good.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
The VLX is probably better. CC has really declined in quality, for an example of cheapness the entire dash uses velcro to attach it to the boat . That would be unheard of from CC a couple of years ago.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
Dave, i've been around boats ever since i was 2 weeks old. my parents own a boat dealership thats been going through my family since 1939. i was basically rased at the boat dealership being my mom didn't want to hire a baby sitter and did all the office work at the shop. i've been driving and boarding behind all the different types of boat since I was 15 years old. i'm 19 now. i know a lot of people think i don't know much about boats being i'm olny 19 but i really do know a whole lot more than half the people on this site. soooo i'd say that i've got a lot of experience with boats
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
I hope the 210 wake is better than the 220 and 230!!! A friend has demoed both the '08 220 and 230. I got to ride along for the 230 demo. Factory weighted we had move all our passengers to the rear of the boat to get a ridable wake. And, it still wasn't as good as the VLX factory with passengers not having to move to the rear. He is going to demo the 210 when the dealers gets one in.

I hate to drag MC into the mix, but the same holds true... It takes a ton of extra weight to get a ridable wake from an X-Star. Firsthand experience...

The VLX has the best factory wake I've seen. Add the same weight you would to a SAN or MC and the VLX wake just gets bigger and nicer!

I can't understand why you would pay more for a boat and have to screw around with adding ballast just to get a ridable wake. Unless you just like the creature comforts of that brand or have some type of loyalty to them. Or, you can get that much better service in your area of the other.

I have a wakeboard boat for one reason. Not to impress... Not for the ride... Not for the comfort... It is because my kids love to ride and want the best wake with the least amount of effort for me. I don't want to fill and empty sacks. I don't want to leave lead or sand weight in the boat all the time. We are in the water almost every weekend it is warm enough. Putting 175 to 200 hours a seasons on the boat.

The Malibu VLX may or may not be a better or worse built boat than a MC or SAN. I think they all have their problems when it comes to quality But, I can tell you this. I have friends that own all the above mentions boats and no one can argue that the VLX has the best factory wake. Start adding weight and everything changes.
Old    bocephus            09-24-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
FYI - For anyone actually reading this trying to make decision. Do your own research. I can't even comment on the BS in this thread so far...
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Larry raises some good points. Factory ballast wise out of the options you listed the malibu has the most. The Wake on the bu with 1200lbs factory and the wedge down is sick. Only downside to it is you may end up posting on the my wedge fell off board here. I own a new 236 and we ride factory plus about 700 lbs. with the wake plate down it is awesome. good luck ride em all
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Hate to break it to you BOCEPHUS but all the "BS" posted here has been from owners of these boats, or first hand experience. Not good enough for you, this is a forum go somewhere else.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
i second that nu bu
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-24-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
Theres no arguing that the stock VLX wake is awesome... better than any other stock wake I've ridden.
Old     (hbohnet)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Wow, thanks to all for the opinions and comments. Would like to buy the boat this fall yet as there are some good deals around. Being from the frozen north, the boating season is pretty much over so it will be difficult to test out a VLX. I like the bow ballast and the room of the VLX.

I have been offered a really good deal on the nautique from a friend but don't want to make any hasty decisions. The nautique seems to be a well built boat and is very solid. I am not sure what to make of the rear seating arangement, it is a bit odd. Does anyone have a comparison of the wake from an 07 nautique to the previous years? I understand the hull design and prop direction was changed in 07. Thanks
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-24-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
You can come to San Diego and drive my VLX. No lake freezing expected this year.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
I agree on the seat layout it sucks. I bought the 236 for that reason. The reversing to the right takes some getting used to if you've been driving an older nautique
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
i had a hard time choosing between the two i bought the 07 vlx bc i liked the seating alot better. more comfortable and luxurious. the 210 just seemed way to cramped for my likings. i felt like i always had to climb over people to get to the back. but they both have a world class wakeboard wake, and you have to take in consideration they changed the 210 wake, in my opinion for the worst.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-25-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
hey harry , not sure where your at but if your anywear near seattle i would gladly give you a ride behind a vlx. I bought mine in feb. 07, i to did 5 months of research.I ended up in the bu for many reasons but the one reason that stands out most of all is i not only bought a boat but a dealer. I have only had a couple very minor problems and my dealer has stepped up above and beyond to make them right. keep that in mind sence you will find that all boats have some kinda of problem. minor or major no one boat is completely perfect.
(sorry sp)
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Check out the 2008 210. The layout has changed and the graphics are sick!

http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9640&star t=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I may have to trade in my 2007 for an 2008. I agree that the layout of the 07 210 is small compared to other boats of similar size but I think it is very functional and great once you get used to it. I rarely have more than 6 in my boat so the layout hasn't been a problem for me.
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       09-25-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
If you get the VLX the Power Wedge is a must.
No ballast or wedge the wake is absolutely perfect for my 8 year old and her friends, fill the ballast and put the wedge in power mode and it is in my honest opinion one of the best wakes money can buy. Does not matter if you have two people or twelve in the boat.
Also consider the dealer, it is extremely important to know that your dealer will get you back on the water by the weekend if you have a problem.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-25-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
I've had an 02' and currently have an 06' 210. You can't beat the wake on a 210, but I say go with the VLX for the total package. If I was going to buy another boat, I'd probably be getting the VLX.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
I have an older cc and I love it for wakeboarding. Im not sure about the 07 and up but the 210 is not a surfing boat IMO. Dont get me wrong the wake is Killer for wakeboarding but the interior is a little more cramped. I love cc but if you are looking for a surf wake go with the VLX or centurion or something. I have ridden behind the VLX and it is a nice wake. As said above the wedge is a must
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
I just bought an '05 Nautique SV211 and couldn't be happier with the head high wakesurfing wake .
Upload
Upload

I like the way the boat seating is set up. I like the walk through transom thingy in the back (which, btw, lifts to give you locker space too). The wakeboarding wake with stock factory ballasts is great.... and the snapout carpet is a must. Everything about the construction of the boat feels solid and well planned to me, but that doesn't surprise me. It's a Correct Craft.

I'm selling my Malibu now... hopefully gone soon. It was a great boat too... provided many years of enjoyment. The wedge is very convenient, and allows you to generate a big wake without as much weight, which seems to translate into extra acceleration. Malibu makes great boats. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice. I would, however, go ride behind both. You may find out that there's something simple that you really don't like, for instance, Malibus tend to have very wide wakes, because the boats are wide, which means you either have to hit it hard and fast, or ride a shorter rope...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Wow tim that wave would be over your head if you actually laid all the way down on the surfboard.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Nu Bu, I think you have wake envy.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-25-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
i own a CC 220 SAN and am partial to Nautiques mostly because I grew up with them. in my experience, i also think they take a beating better than any other boat out there. If the choice were 07 210 vs 07 VLX, i would go 07 VLX. now if you were to open your options to the 07 220 SAN vs the 07 VLX, i would say the 220...it is more comparable in terms of size/space, and in my opinion, the wake is much more build-able, is more functional, and has a better wake shape.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I liked Larry Slavick's comment:

"The VLX has the best factory wake I've seen."

after he just stated that he's never been in or wakeboarded behind a 210 wake. I think that's the kind of stuff that's annoying Bocephus.

Truth be told Harry, if you got a VLX based on what people are telling you here and you don't demo both, then I'll be you'll be completely happy with your wake.

The 210 stock is an incredible wake though. I ride a smaller wake than a stock 210 and I really wonder why people get into such fight's about best stock wake?

I learned an air raley this summer behind my 1988 Ski Nautique with 500 lbs ballast. It's no 210 wake but it's definitely enough for me.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I thought that was what this forum was all about... Sharing your experiences... What is wrong with stating "The VLX has the best factory wake I've seen."??? It is my opinion and I did state in the same post that we had not been in a 210 and that we were going to helpfully get to try an '08 out soon! And, I will be the first to report back if I think (IMHO) it has a better wake. And, I ask again... What is wrong with that???

Read what the original poster said... "I appreciate any advice or comments."
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
If You want the nautique 210 check out the 08 CC did away with that bad design in the rear seats.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-26-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
I'm a big fan of the wakeboarding wake on the pre '07 210, but do not have much experience with the VLX or the newer, wider 210. The pre-'07 210 is not that good for surfing on the left (surfer's left), but I heard the new ones have a different rotation on the prop that might clean that up. I've heard the surf wake on the pre-'07 surfer's right is really, really good. But, as someone said, TEST DRIVE TEST DRIVE TEST DRIVE as it's all personal preference and exactly why these threads always head south. The 210 wake is generally pretty divisive...most people love it or hate it/are intimidated by it....
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Larry, you said, "I hope the 210 wake is better than the 220 and 230!!!" and then shared your experience in how other, not 210, CC boats didn't have as good of wakes. You did say you'd try the 210 soon but doesn't it seem like you might be biasing things without having even tried the actual product being asked about? If I'm wrong then I totally apologize.

As has been stated a whole lot Harry, demo, demo, and demo. Stick your head in every storage compartment and look at every detail on the boats. Then get the one that you feel best about and regardless of your choice you'll have an awesome boat.
Old    bocephus            09-26-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   

quote:

By Josh B (joshugan) on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:21 am:

Larry, you said, "I hope the 210 wake is better than the 220 and 230!!!" and then shared your experience in how other, not 210, CC boats didn't have as good of wakes. You did say you'd try the 210 soon but doesn't it seem like you might be biasing things without having even tried the actual product being asked about? If I'm wrong then I totally apologize.

As has been stated a whole lot Harry, demo, demo, and demo. Stick your head in every storage compartment and look at every detail on the boats. Then get the one that you feel best about and regardless of your choice you'll have an awesome boat.

That's only half the process IMO! Investigate the dealer just as much as you investigate the build quality of the boat. Heaven forbid something goes wrong with your boat after you have left the dealer's lot but if it does it's a lot easier to get things resolved with a dealer that you can trust and work with. The cheapest deal for the best boat isn't always the best deal.

I advise everyone that asks me about buying a boat the same thing. Get a copy of the boat trader in your area and start calling the private owners with boats for sale of the brands you are considering and ask them about their experiences with the dealer. Most, after they figure out you are not interested in their boat will tell you every horror/success story they know about. I was going to buy a Sanger but due to the horrible reviews of the local dealer I ended up buying an Nautique based on all the rave reviews about the Nautique dealer.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-26-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Someone said this is a discussion board, if you don't like it go away.

Tyler - if you don't like Bo's comments you're free to ignore them or go away.

Bo - I say keep it coming.

This thread was doomed from the start.
Old    bocephus            09-26-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I bet my remaining left nut that CC owners are the most loyal, satisified group of sport type boat buyers there is.

Oops, I guess I know who would win...

http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ski

I know everyone thinks the JD Power is crap, but when someone else wins other than CC I will bet the winner will be giving it some cred...

I still can't understand what everyone thinks is wrong with this setup...

Upload
Upload
Old    bocephus            09-26-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
BTW, CC's site has been updated for the '08 stuff already..
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-26-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
It's a very big cluster F*$# crammed into a very small space. I think that's whats wrong with it. If it didn't have the center sliding seat it wouldn't be so bad at all.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-26-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
BoRedNut,

that steering wheel looks really cheap and flimsy. How does it feel in person?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-26-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
That's got to be the stupidest layout I've ever seen on a boat for daily use. With that said I could see where it would come in handy in a tournament setting where you would have a camera man facing backwards. Still ugly as sin..
Old     (sk_centurion)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-26-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
If you want a boat for wakesurfing why dont you look an a Centurion Enzo! Flame away!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
Coming from a college kid who doesn't own a $60k boat, therefore no ownership goggles. I think some of you are really closed minded. The one thing I hate about V-drive boats is that there is no good way to watch the rider, unless you are in the passenger seat or bow. Otherwise, you have twist your neck and upperbody just to watch someone ride. After 3 hours of watching people ride, my neck is sore. I think CC has something with the sliding seat. You have the 'standard' V-drive seating one minute for cruising, then with the flip of a switch you have seating where everyone can face the rider. You get the best of both worlds. Why all of the negative comments?

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 26, 2007)
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-26-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
I agree Leo. I also agree that it may not look traditional or very eye appealing, but my eye also sees the functionality of it.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-26-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have always liked Nautique and have held them in high regard as a top quality boat. I always considered Nautique to be a step way above the other brands. Recently I had the opportunity to drive one. No offense to any Nautique owners, but what a huge disappointment. It was a pig on take-off, had a lot of bowrise and was very noisey. It was very poor turning and handling. If you took off without your hand on the wheel it turned hard left. The rough water ride was a total back-breaker. The seats were too low to the floor, too narrow and were very uncomfortable. The layout is cramped and strange. On the plus side, the upholstery quality, fit, finish, dash and driver's area were exemplary.
Old    bocephus            09-26-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
my feeling exactly Leo!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-26-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
sorry but i will take my living room on the water over that mid evil looking contraption any day.

no opinion on the 210 wake never rode behind it. only been inside it and my comments are with delta dave. but if your stuck on a cc 210 i know where there is an 06 for sale with under 20 hrs. now that is a wake worth talking about. as for the vlx wake, stock ballest with bow and power wedge is all you need to make your knee hurt in the morning, and as for comfort, well just go sit in one for yourelf and see.Upload
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 12:51 AM Reply   
i second that notion. i love the living room bryan, looks like ours were modled the same. oh and nice picon ski beach you from Disco??
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-27-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
BTW... malibu's 08 site has been up for a while...
Old     (hbohnet)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
Thanks to all for the feedback, am very impressed with the response. I finally found a VLX up here in the frozen north that I can test drive (provided the snow stays away for a few days). John d- thanks for the offer to test drive yours. If this doesn't work out I might take a trip to Seattle and look you up.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Delta dave what nautique did you drive? Year make ETC. I have a new 236 and it is quiet as can be and has great holeshot even when loaded heavy
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
i've ridden behind them all...all are different...like some other ppl have said you should really get out and ride the different wakes...only then will you be able to decide what is best for you...the 210 wake is different than the 220 wake and the 220 is different than the 226...a MC wake is different than a Bu and a Bu is different than a nautique...each has it's own shape...each needs weight in different places in order to dial in the wake, they're all sooo different... who knows you might not like the boat you think you like...just go find out for yourself.

ps got the chance to ride behind the dra supra last weekend...that wake is SERIOUS....and the new 220 is the easiest boat to drive i've ever driven...i swear that thing has autopilot...and there's NO chine lock...amazing
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
no offence but im sick of everyone arguing over the best boat so to all the people looking to buy a boat take them for a test drive and work it out for yourself