Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (macattack)      Join Date: May 2009       05-21-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
i have the 06 liquid force alphas and they currently are hurting my feet, ive tried changing my stance and everything but i think its time for a new pair of bindings. ive been out of the scene after the 07 season and im new to closed toe bindings. they are very appealing to me but i dont know what the benefit is on having them. if someone could tell me why a person would buy closed to vs open i would appreciate it much.
Mac
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
i have a stupid reason for riding closed toe.

when cutting hard toeside. i dont like my toes to touch the water. lmao

if your really looking. the 08 CT shanes are amazing
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-21-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
CTs are usually stiffer, warmer, and more snug (if it is the appropriate size for you). The main disadvantages however are jammed toes and often the lack of release on a hard fall.
Old     (macattack)      Join Date: May 2009       05-21-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
see i come from a big snowboarding background. i hate to release so this wouldnt be an issue. and jammed toes as in my feet sliding in the front as apposed to them being to small?
warmth is not a problem where i do most of my wakeboarding is around houston so the water gets really hot, and in the winter you can still ride with a wetsuit with no problems.
so is an open toe binding still what most people get if they are buying new?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-22-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
I switched from OT to CT at the end of last season. The main difference I noticed was that the CT seemed to make my heel side edging more responsive. With OT your toes will rise a little when leaning back on your heels. With a properly fit CT boot your toes do not rise, the board does. To me CT boots do for heel side edging what boots with zero heel lift did for toe side edging.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
I tried some closed toe boots. Not for me. I still don't see how people can say they make your board more responsive. Even if your boots held your toes down, edging doesn't happen from the toes, you lean your entire body.
Old    K.B.C.            05-22-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
they keep my feet warm in cold water during early and late season riding
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
the changes are subtle , but closed toes are def. the next level up in support and custom fit from ot bindings......most ot fit to 3 sizes or more while closed toe is 1 size or 2 at the most. This custom fit really gives you a more solid boot to board connection.......hence better response. It is noticable....but subtle.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
A big second for the warmer toes. More importantly though, CT allows you to rock socks pulled high and proud.
Man, I use to think socks were so dumb however, since picking up the Zeus, I couldn't ask for a comfier combination.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
they are more supportive than open toe boots IMO. you really dont have to worry about jamming your toes if you get the right size for yourself. i have ridin four different pairs and never had it happen. also they do keep your feet warm in the water for early and late season riding. personally i have never fallen out of them even when taking a hard digger. they are more of a custom fit binding now that you can have them for fitted to your foot.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
"most ot fit to 3 sizes or more"

My open toes still come in S, M, L, and XL just like CT boots.

We're talking about an extra piece of material that covers your toes.

Warm toes are the only real benefit that I see.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I still like open toes....but, I still wear gloves too. LOL
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
just talking of how the manufacturers list them,

ex. hyperlite standard for ot remix=7-10.5

for hyp. ct murray they list size 9, 10, 11,
no ranges specifed.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on May 22, 2009)
Old    K.B.C.            05-22-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Most CT do come in more than just standard S.M, L, XL. They are actually starting to be sized like shoes. HL and LF both have sized CT bindings.

I did stub my toe pretty bad in a new pair the other day. First time it's ever happened and I've been riding the closed toes for four years now. I think it was because they are brand new and a bit tight, I usually size down. So it does happen.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-22-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
The more responsive argument is silly. CT provide a different feel, if you like the different feel then they are for you. They are not any stiffer or more supportive, they just cover your tootsies. One might say they are more supportive, but that is basically because most pro boots are now CT. That doesn't mean that the Mfgs aren't making stiff supportive OT boots (LF has their OT series, CWB has the Faction etc.)

Michael z, you could look at LF, their CTs are sized just like their OT boots. The Hype Remix is an intermediate boot with a floating tongue designed to fit multiple sized feet.

All that being said, I like em. Have been rocking my Answers for a couple years now. Love the feel and love the hold down (but that has to do with the Hinge). Different companies use different materials, I like the really soft toe piece as my toes are always touching the front of the boot.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-22-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
I like to think that the closed toes might provide some protection to the toes when hitting rails and other obstacles.

I also disagree that they add any benefit in control, but i do think they provide a bit of a placebo thing in this aspect. having your whole foot wrapped up just makes you feel more apart of the board... or so that's how i feel
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-22-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I have CT watsons. They keep my feet warm, my boots are supportive but not due to the CT.

Honestly...the best reason for closed toes is when i take my board off and flip it to put it in the rack I can get the driver wet...tehehe (usually my wife)
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have closed toes and there is no benefit in my opinion besides the warmth.

Michael z, what you say is somewhat true because closed toe will always be high end but you compared a high end model to a low end model boot.

However in liquid force bindings the size ranges are the same for there high end open toed and close toed.

With my Ronix Kai's I have more toe lift than my old liquid force sphynx (I'm prob gonna go back to these) because the kai's have so much extra room on the inside and there's not lace tightener on the bottom, it's like the were made for 4" tall foot.

It doesn't effect my riding but no matter what manufactures say closed toes don't drain water as well and they felt really clunky to me the first time I rode them.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
I guess not all closed toes are equal, if you have 4" headroom in the toes then no difference in toe lift. I guess its like Jeremy says......but if its in our heads...then its a benefit!
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-22-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
They look cool.....
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-22-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
I don't know what yall are talking about. When I started wearing closed toes I could tell a HUGE difference and I loved it! WAY better response and overall control of my board and edges. Most closed toe that I have seen or tried are size specific and fit really snug and comfortable. There is no pressure points pinching around the toes, but they are snug and you feel like you have more control. Try to cut out heelside with open toe and watch your toes lift, then cut heelside with closed toe and you have the material above and around your toes to put lots of leverage against for better control. I love CT and will never go back to OT
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-25-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
I started out on the lf's 06 alpha's also....went to close toe c-dub answers and ill never go back to open toe. I use to be all about open toe and didnt like the idea or sound of a close toe binding for wakeboarding, then i tried the close toe and am hooked. I think it's all personal preferance. Some still ride open like jarrod does, and some have made the switch to close like majority of the riders have. I suggest trying a pair of closed toe out that are THE RIGHT SIZE. Cause if you try a pair of close toe that arent the right size, it could just be a bad experience and you wont know the full potential of what a ct can do for you. If you dont wanna demo, i suggest ct. I have the same alphas you have and had the same comfort problem you had, and now im in love with my Answers. Good Luck!