Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (rb23lsv)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-17-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have an 04 Malibu 23LSV with full factory ballast (1250lbs) and want to put more weight into the storage lockers at the back. Right now it has the 2 hard tanks in the lockers. If I remove those, can I hook up a 750lb bag on each side to the existing connections? These bags measure 50"x20"x20". Will they fit? I can also leave the hard tanks in, and just add some 400lb bags (42x20x20) too, but I'm not a plumbing wiz and don't want to have to always fill them up with a separate pump. I'll probably have to get another 300-500lbs for the bow too, but that'll just sit on top of the seats. I'm really wondering if I can fit these big bags in the back of the boat. Thanks.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
if your towing vehicle can handle it i have one word for you. LEAD. it can be put any where, takes up very minimal space, can be moved around easily to even the boat out, and its solid so it wont wash around.
Old    K.B.C.            11-17-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
they'll fit
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-17-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
I left the hard tanks and plumbed the 750 in with their own 1250 pumps there is still room on top for jackets.

Upload
Upload
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-17-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I took the hard tanks out of my 2004 LSV and put 20x20x50 sacs in their place. My sacs had 4 ports each, so I was able to use the 3 hoses that ran to each factory tank and plumb the sacs in the same fashion as each hard tank. I simply bought some 3/4" hose and extended the fill, drain, and overflow lines and ran them to each sac. I am still using the factory pumps, although it takes a few extra minutes to fill each sac compared to the time it took to fill the hard tanks. I found (as has everyone else who has done this mod) that the sacs will self-drain down through the drain lines or back through the fill lines and push the water past the pumps. So you need to install some sort of valve that will stop this effect. A cheap and easy way to do this is put a $2 ball valve in-line in each fill and drain line and just open and close the appropriate valve each time you fill/empty the sacs. I wanted a totally automatic system, so I installed a cheap one-way cheack valve in the fill lines, but the drain lines were more tricky. A one-way valve would not work in this situation, so I found some $60 electronically actuated valves that I put in-line and spliced the wiring into the drain pumps on each side. This has worked great, and the system is totally automatic. Works just like the factory hard tanks did. I have also added about 450 pounds of lead under the dash, observer's compartment, and side seats to balance out some forward weight. The wake is fantastic with the extra weight.