Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2011, 3:05 AM Reply   
Man, took 2000 pictures today on 2 Canons. 30GB+ of HD video at 60FPS from 3 cameras and this was just supposed to be a warm up day, tomorrow is the real surfing.

We invited the Wolters, Wakeshredder Crew, Chase Hazen, Korina Smyrek from Switzerland, and Dennis Horton out for some fun the the 24Ve. They enjoyed the wake, the lake, and a great day.

We made sure we weighted the boat to please these picky pros...

IMG_4880 by wake9, on Flickr

Chris Wolter went out first on RJs new board.

IMG_5517 by wake9, on Flickr

RJs board above is a custom hazen, but the fins were a bit slow, need to change them out. The production hazen Chris has been riding felt better to him.

IMG_9363 by wake9, on Flickr

Sean Cummings got out to ride, I really enjoyed watching do Drifters...

IMG_9396 by wake9, on Flickr

Sean landed some great stuff, big spins, 1080, shuvs, but we will save that for the video...

IMG_9481 by wake9, on Flickr

One of Sean's signatures...

IMG_9447 by wake9, on Flickr

Chase got out and we adjusted a bit steeper, he said he really like the 24Ve lip and said it was nice to launch off of. A couple of times when he launched like this, I thought he was going to land in the boat.

IMG_9570 by wake9, on Flickr

Another perspective. I don't know how many grabs chase can do in the air, but those super long arms and hang time seem to make it effortless.

IMG_6259 by wake9, on Flickr

He gets up higher than the boat tower at times...

IMG_9608 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6337 by wake9, on Flickr

When Vanessa Gonzales got out, the water just seem to calm for here, and the sun came out, it was a bit overcast before here.

IMG_9684 by wake9, on Flickr

She makes a good wake model...

IMG_6501 by wake9, on Flickr

She had some great tricks that will end up on video, but this shot of her doing the gun show was so nice the way the sun came out...

IMG_6673 by wake9, on Flickr

Korina Smyrek was not to be outdone, she had some airs of her own.

IMG_6742 by wake9, on Flickr

She surfed with us on Saturday and talked about trying this grab on the bottom turn after watching some videos of Slater online.

IMG_6845 by wake9, on Flickr

Edric went out for some fun, in the beautiful sunset.

IMG_6984 by wake9, on Flickr

Then Edric decided that Sean wasn't the only one to land a Drifter...

IMG_7033 by wake9, on Flickr

A great day, turned on the lights and headed back to the bridge and home for a big home cooked barbecue.

IMG_7044 by wake9, on Flickr

Epic day, can't wait til tomorrow.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Epic indeed. Looks like you have the new open case for the GoPro. What kind of battery pack do you use again? I can't remember.

m-
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       09-12-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Looks like fun great shots i like the ones from the side.Will you be posting videos soon
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2011, 5:48 PM Reply   
nice shots. man chase got some mad air.

what is a drifter?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Looks like my wave! Congrats on the new wave.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thx guys...

This was just from Sunday, we were out ALL day today, thousands of pics and miles of video. Will be posting tons soon, pictures quick, videos in a few days. Some amazing surfing.

Drifter is that trick, I believe first done by keenan where the rider does a 180 but holds the nose of the board in the water and the board is sticking out at a 90 deg angle from the wake.

IMG_7033 by wake9, on Flickr

We use a skeleton case, and there are several packs you can use to power. I will post a few later.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-12-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
Wow Ragboy, nice, we have all seen Chase many times but those airs are insane!!!!
oh an Venessa's hang 5 pix is beautiful, i mean really perfect!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, the boy was boostin. So much fun watching guys like him, James Walker, etc, from inside the boat. Its worth doing ballast and camera duty all day.

re: vanessa, it was funny, it was overcast almost all day. Then she starts riding and about 1/2 way into her session, the sun comes out and lights her so perfectly. It was perfect.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2011, 1:56 AM Reply   
Its going to take us several days to work through all of this video, some amazing stuff though. So much fun.

We mounted a camera on top of the tower. Here are a couple of stills from the video.

Note: Chase and RJ go the same speed and taps (12mph and 4-5). Sean (first one) goes about 11.4 MPH and 3-4. Chase and RJ are both near the back of the wave starting their pump to get air and riding virtually identical boards. Neither of them are falling back but starting their pump forward. In the last still, even from this height, you can see how high chase is boosting.

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2011, 2:04 AM Reply   
One more, then off to bed...

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
That wave looks pretty long! What speed are you guys riding at there?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
We ran anywhere from about 11.4 to 12.4. RJ and chase in these shots both run at 12, and with taps at the same spot. They adjusted some during riding, but they both rode with taps within 1 of each other. Sean liked a bit slower, and shallower, but then would have us steepen it up more as he rode.

The 24Ve gives us a bit more play on the taps than the RZ2, not really sure why. On the RZ2, wake is amazing from taps 1-3, then from 4 up you can start to get froth on the wake. On the VE, we can go from 1 to 8, and its a very noticeable change in that range. Its nice to be able to adjust more from skim to surf style wake. On the RZ2, its perfect for surf, and good for skim, but skim riders usually think its a bit steep. I have always felt the RZ2 leans more to surf preference, but this boat setup seems to be able to adjust well enough to make both happy. I have to get Adrianna Borreli on the Ve, she was an example of someone that really didn't like the steepness of the RZ2 compared to Avalanche, I think she had.

Last edited by ragboy; 09-13-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2011, 1:34 AM Reply   
Sorry about the pictures above, flickr does that sometimes. But they are up on flickr....

So I came home with over 120GB of video and just under 9000 still images from 3 cameras. A bit nuts, huh? It really was a great day, video will probably be out next week some time, LOTS to go through. But I put together a few favorites from day 2 to post, and then also widdled down those 9000 images to 2 sets totaling about 850 images. That took some time, but wasn't too bad using Aperture.

We went deeper into berry creek canyon of the north fork of Lake Oroville. The water is a bit cooler up there, and refreshing, and CLEAN. It was gorgeous. The wake looked amazing with Chris Wolter on it.

IMG_0094 by wake9, on Flickr

Chris was boosting on his production version of the Shredstixx Hazen. Its a bit heavier than RJs version which is a custom, but Chris liked the feel better. It seems the weight didn't both him much. ;-)

IMG_0146 by wake9, on Flickr

This is Edric, part of Sean's crew. Sean is always teaching and bringing up new riders to the sport. Sean is a great ambassador for the sport. This is Edric's first season I believe, but with Sean teaching him he has progressed fast. Check out the other flickr sets for more of Edric.

IMG_8087 by wake9, on Flickr

One of Sean's signature moves when he first gets up, but this one made a GREAT pic.

IMG_0349 by wake9, on Flickr

Sean had plenty of room to work, and the color of the water was gorgeous.

IMG_0499 by wake9, on Flickr

Sean tried out Korina's Walker Project Signature 4.2, almost to his gun show here:

IMG_0507 by wake9, on Flickr

All the way, from the boat camera.

IMG_8767 by wake9, on Flickr

Frank preparing to run. If you ever have the opportunity, you gotta get Frank on your boat. Not only does he pull great ballast duty but he is seriously one of my favorite people. Frank always looks at things from the brighter side. Frank is good people, and cracks me up. I think he started flicking his nipples at me right after this pic.

IMG_8042 by wake9, on Flickr

Frank doing a lip slide on his Walker Project Bazooka.

IMG_5389 by wake9, on Flickr

Now a few from Chase. Give him a decent wake with a good lip and he launches. He also is a great kid to have around.

IMG_9255 by wake9, on Flickr

He did this a couple of times closer to the boat, and I swear it felt like he was going to land inside, his height and forward momentum is amazing. Riding a custom Shredstixx Custom Elevation of course, I believe 4.8 like RJs.

IMG_5427 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_0822 by wake9, on Flickr

This was funny, chase was trying a lot of shuvits, tough on a surf board, especially a quad. He landed several but had a harder time finishing them off switch backside, but was successful. Not so on this one, you can tell from his face he knew he had no chance on this one.

IMG_9538 by wake9, on Flickr

From the other side of the boat you could really see the HUGE hole the 24Ve made in the lake.

IMG_5434 by wake9, on Flickr

All the pros, but Jesse stole the show. She was BEGGING to surf so bad. She wanted to show everyone there she can do it too. And the thing is, she has been practicing for this. She wanted to learn how to get up, and throw in the rope with NO help, just like everyone else. We used to make the wake smaller for her, but she wouldn't have that. She said, "Dad, I want to ride the big wake like everyone else so I can ride behind anyone's boat." How do you argue with that? She also makes a pretty good wake model.

IMG_5462 by wake9, on Flickr

Jesse's big trick, the double grab to her Walker Project Grom.

IMG_9729 by wake9, on Flickr

Conditions were amazing.

IMG_0892 by wake9, on Flickr

T-Bone was ripping it up on his Shredstixx Nano and got some decent air with Chase's expert advice.

IMG_5479 by wake9, on Flickr

I think this is my favorite on the water pic of the Ve I have seen yet.

IMG_0956 by wake9, on Flickr

Korina on her TWP Signature 4.2. She got higher after some instruction from Chase.

IMG_0454 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ was boosting on his new SS Hazen 4.8, but needs some more time to get used to it. Here he is on his Soulcraft Jetty 4.10.

IMG_0743 by wake9, on Flickr

If you are ever coming into Lake Oroville, look us up. We love to surf with new people.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Diito on Frank being good people. The wave and the crew looks amazing Mr.G. Looks like fun times!

m-
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-22-2011, 11:38 PM Reply   
what camera are these shot with?