Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Went out this weekend,Fri.,Sat., and Sun. All I saw was wake boats pulling tubes! Are these guys for real??? I saw 2 Nautiques, 2 Malibu's, 3 Mastercrafts,2 Supras, and a Supreme all pulling tubes and messing up the water on the entire lake! They also had wakeboards in their racks! You would think they would have some kinda courtesy! but no! both Nautiques pulled their tubes across my path (25ft off my bow) yes I did yell and give em the finger, but they were to chicken to turn around and hear what I had to say. One guy passed me 20 to 25ft to my left while I was riding! I hate these people!!!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hate is a pretty mean word! " I really really dislike these fools!!!" I also saw five I/O's wakeboarding. Everyone is bass akwards!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Went out this weekend,Fri.,Sat., and Sun. All I saw was wake boats pulling tubes! Are these guys for real??? I saw 2 Nautiques, 2 Malibu's, 3 Mastercrafts,2 Supras, and a Supreme all pulling tubes and messing up the water on the entire lake! They also had wakeboards in their racks! You would think they would have some kinda courtesy! but no! both Nautiques pulled their tubes across my path (25ft off my bow) yes I did yell and give em the finger, but they were to chicken to turn around and hear what I had to say. One guy passed me 20 to 25ft to my left while I was riding! I hate these people!!!!
theres your problem.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, so true. Weekends are tough, monday and wednesday afternoon are my favorite, especially after school starts.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
No skies, No tubes, No Bullsh*t lol... Quote from Buywake.com
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
ya figured that since school started it might be a bit mellower....NOT!!!!!! Cant wait for those weekdays late Sept. and Oct. when your the only boat out there.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
Jeff, I have that sticker on my camper!
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-13-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
They were probably Goodyear Factory Team Riders practicing for the Professional Inner Tube Tour Nationals.........

Last edited by packrat; 09-13-2011 at 6:19 PM.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-13-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
Got to respect those pro tubers...and all of the practice that goes into it.....they can cut me off anyday....and say hello to my pellet gun ! PSSSSS
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
thought about a blow dart gun, but was afraid I was gonna hit some kid in the @ss
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-13-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Was this Lake Austin by any chance. I've never seen so many SAN 230's, X-Stars, X-25's, and Wakesetters pull tubes in my life...on a Thursday no doubt.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
I can report the north end of Lake Lanier (Chestatee river area) was absolutely delightful both Saturday and Sunday. only saw 3-6 boats midday and afternoon whole time and no dip weed tubers. real nice so made for lots more fun. Unfortunately the water is cooling down real fast now with mid 70's water temp from peak 88 at Labor Day. Oh well...ride it while ya can.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
The fact is that there are clueless, inconsiderate boaters everywhere you go. Regardless of boat type. Regardless of what they are, or are not, towing at the moment.

Like the real idiots that surf in Vics (and they even have wakeboards and wakeskates in their racks sometimes--you would think they would have some kind of courtesy)...
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-13-2011, 10:23 PM Reply   
I've outlawed two things on my boat.....TUBES and WEEKENDS.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Can't speak for the surfers @ vics, but when ever I see slalom skiers or wakeboarders I try to stay on the opposite side of the lake, or let them take their sets. My friend always says why? who cares we were here first? I reply, that I don't have a problem sharing the water. Just saying that people who own a 45k plus boat should know better ( as far as pulling tubes across the bow of my boat )
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-14-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
I don't get it, but I see a lot of that the poast couple years on the lake I vacation at in Maine. Prior to that inboards were rare as hens teeth up there, just a couple tiny closed bow ski boats and everything else I/O or outboard, but the past couple years I see people with brand new wake boats pulling tubes, and a few older Nautiques and such as well. It boggles the mind. Some people have more dollars than sense. Up there even the few people who slalom or wakeboard power turn though, and I think that irritates me more. It makes no sense but that's what they do. Oh well, I try to lead by example.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2011, 9:22 PM Reply   
I have kids - 15 to 22 and they love wakesurfing and wakeboarding...but when they invite friends to come with they love to tube too. I don't tube during morning butter time and I make darn sure I'm not cutting across someone's bow or even coming close to their boat.

In addition to the inconsiderates mentioned in earlier posts are the ones that follow you in your path while pulling anyone - especially when they are pulling a tube doing "S" turns. Somehow I'm supposed to know that they see me and my rider. Have some courtesy, just point the bow off in a different direction so i can tell you see me. I just love screaming to my rider 'Don't Fall".
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2011, 9:26 PM Reply   
So true!! they do it to me all the time, along with the lake lice (nickname stolen from H2oKing)jet ski’s are always running up behind us
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       09-15-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
Announcing the First Ever Annual World Championship of Tubing................... Stay tuned for trick list and point structure
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       09-15-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
This happens all the time to me here in Washington. I now avoid Lake Tapps and American lake on the weekends because the tubers will blow right in front of you and could care less.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-15-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
i have NEVER had someone pass me within 20-25 feet at speed. that is just a boats length, no more. i hate to call you a liar but that sounds like bs. i ride on a river that is only MAYBE 50 yards wide at the widest part and people dont get ever get that close.

we were out on labor day and my g/fs cousin showed up in his I/O and power turned all over the river while pulling a tube. i hate power turns but hell even i pulled the tube so his 4 year old son could have some fun but there were no other boats in the area where we were tubing
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-15-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
I pull a tube with my wakeboat and usually leave the boards in the racks. I event surf with the wakeboards in the racks. Somedays I pull wakeboards with surfboards in the boat. Split personality for my boat. Kind of nice that there is no cure. I guess the worst of it all is that I've been known to not tow anything and just drive or (gasp) swim off mine.

I don't pull tubes when the boarding is nice and I surf where I'm not likely in other boats way. Most of the tubers near me are fairly good at staying away from other boats. That is not the case with the guys cruising in their wakeboats just looking around. An X45 at 15 mph is a pain to be near, as is the boat that follows right behind mine when I'm towing my eight year old slow.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
Call it BS if you want, but how about you come on out to American Lake here in Wash. on a hot day and see for yourself. Ive had a tube almost brush up against us while sitting still. I'm sure Chris knows what i'm talking about. Next time i'll snap a pic so you don't have to call someone a liar. What river you pulling your biscuits on? so I can steer clear.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       09-15-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
I would call BS too if it hadn't happend to me a few times. I'm not sure why it happens so much on American lake but hopefully October will be as quiet as years past. I havent been on American lake at all this year.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
October should be nice (mid-week) I don't know why American Lake is so bad, puzzles me???
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       09-15-2011, 4:05 PM Reply   
When I'm surfing, I find that the tubers stay away from me for some reason...lol.

Lake lice on the other hand....
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Can't speak for the surfers @ vics,
I can. They are idiots. Victoria Slough is prime wakeboarding/skiing water, but that is not why people who surf in Vic's are idiots. They are idiots because it's only 12-15 deep. Old River is 2 minutes away, is 20' deep and you get a much better surf wave. Extra idiot points if they are running the "wrong way."

Vics (including a fine specimen Tuberosicus Maximus):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13
i have NEVER had someone pass me within 20-25 feet at speed. that is just a boats length, no more.
Then you have never been to the Dirty Delta. It happens all of the time and is usually no big deal.

(frame grab from a video camera,rider in the water preparing to surf photo left)

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033
Lake lice on the other hand.... .
Loud HCLD tower speakers + Tower Talk has solved that problem. I just grab the mic and tell them to get the hell away from my rider. It's worked every time.

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2011, 10:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
I pull a tube with my wakeboat and usually leave the boards in the racks. I event surf with the wakeboards in the racks. Somedays I pull wakeboards with surfboards in the boat. Split personality for my boat. Kind of nice that there is no cure. I guess the worst of it all is that I've been known to not tow anything and just drive or (gasp) swim off mine.

I don't pull tubes when the boarding is nice and I surf where I'm not likely in other boats way. Most of the tubers near me are fairly good at staying away from other boats. That is not the case with the guys cruising in their wakeboats just looking around. An X45 at 15 mph is a pain to be near, as is the boat that follows right behind mine when I'm towing my eight year old slow.
x2

Boat was bought for pure family enjoyment. If the kids want to tube...Im not going to deny them some enjoyment and fun. They get watertime too. And if Im tubing we're out in the middle where theres nobody or I claim a cove. but Im not going to intrude in on someones line as their giving pull.

Theres a reason as to why I dont hang out at Pineveiw Resevoir (above Ogden Ut.) on weekends, its crowded and people dont care. Id be a moron to subject myself to the constant battles every outing there. Either get up earliear or go out later or a new spot , but to try and find fault with wakeboard boat pulling a tube....cheesy and selfish IMHO
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-16-2011, 5:27 AM Reply   
If you take away the tube a small timid child is more likely to strap on their board and learn the ropes.Start them young on the tube to get them used to the water then remove the crutch and take the time to teach them our sports.The learning curve takes some Patience having to repeatedly turn around after failed attempts but the reward of seeing the look on your kids face on a successful attempt makes it so worth it.As for Lake lice and the barney boaters they are everywhere but like Shorpy tower talk and some loud speakers do the trick for us every time
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Call it cheesy if you want, but its more cheesy to pull a tube with a 60k boat. IMHO. I am not selfish, as I said before all the wakeboarders and slalom skiers get plenty of courtesy from us. Tubers can take a back seat. I have no problem with courteous tubers, if there are any. Seems like the drivers of these bisquits are always looking backwards at the rider and not forward and letting the spotters do their job. Sunday a guy driving a smokercraft fishing boat pulling a tube without a spotter dropped his rider and didn't even know. I saw him stop about 600 yards after dropping the rider and start looking for him. Needless to say he couldn't find him. I went to his fallen rider and hung out so he wouldn't get killed and waved my flag at the driver until he finally noticed, and came picked him up. Neither one cared that I went over and protected the guy from getting ran over. next time i'll just spectate and see what happens. Doubt that will happen though, Its just not in me to ignore a dangerous situation. And I usually am the last one off the lake, so I do get a good set in, but thats no reason I should have to put up with idiots.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
H.....that picture is PRICELESS!!!!!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcraft View Post
No skies, No tubes, No Bullsh*t lol... Quote from Buywake.com
hahaha i have that sticker on my fridge!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
I wakesurf on Vics

Some days Old River is too blown out to do anything. Just like everyone else, I like good water. And we are able to drive the boat in a way that does not throw rollers every where. We drive closer to the toolies so that the wave hits it and dies and the opposite side is still smooth and there is tons of room for people to pass. And usually we are one of the only boats not power turning. Often there are skiers out there throwing more of a wake than us. If done right it doesn't affect anyone.

It all comes down to people that can not drive properly, and it is true that most people don't know how to control their wakes. I have never had someone give me a bad look or say anything while wakesurfing on Vics because they can see I know what I'm doing and that no one is affected negatively.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
I don't have any problem with tubing, but some boats pulling can be nuts. The problem with tubing is that to have fun you have to start getting unsafe.

That picture above is awesome, and I totally agree, get them wakesurfing:

This is Jesse, 6 years old and like 40 lbs wet, doing her big trick, the double grab.

IMG_9729 by wake9, on Flickr
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
I wakesurf on Vics

Some days Old River is too blown out to do anything.
On those days Grant Line is a better option than Vic's. It's deeper and typically has less boat traffic and is ridable when Old River is blown out.

Quote:
And we are able to drive the boat in a way that does not throw rollers every where.
Impossible. A boat weighted for surfing creates following swells that are perpendicular to the stern of the boat. Those rollers roll a great way down narrow channels like Vic's.

Quote:
We drive closer to the toolies so that the wave hits it and dies and the opposite side is still smooth and there is tons of room for people to pass. And usually we are one of the only boats not power turning. Often there are skiers out there throwing more of a wake than us. If done right it doesn't affect anyone.
Incorrect. See above.

Quote:
It all comes down to people that can not drive properly.
Driving "properly" cannot stop the following swells, created by your displacement hull, from forming and rolling down a channel.

Driving "properly" cannot negate physics...

p.s. Just because you haven't heard anyone say anything and you haven't seen anyone give you dirty looks, that doesn't mean that folks aren't looking at you and thinking "idiot."
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
The problem with tubing is that to have fun you have to start getting unsafe.
How are you defining "unsafe"?

I've seen plenty of kids have a blast at 15mph behind a boat on a tube, heading in a straight line even.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorpy View Post
How are you defining "unsafe"?

I've seen plenty of kids have a blast at 15mph behind a boat on a tube, heading in a straight line even.
he's talkin about older guys, its not fun for a high school kid to sit going 15mpg...they wanna get slung outside the wake and hit chop and fly off the tube....it requires big power turns for whippers....i get what he's saying.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
he's talkin about older guys, its not fun for a high school kid to sit going 15mpg...they wanna get slung outside the wake and hit chop and fly off the tube....it requires big power turns for whippers....i get what he's saying.
Yes. Been there, done that. Still trying to figure out why he's so afraid of whipping someone on a tube.

Do you think that to have fun wakeboarding you "have to start getting unsafe"?
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Shorpy, there are no swells being sent down the slough. they break into the toolies and are gone. I am the most picky person I know about water conditions and I would not do it if it ruined it for the rest.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Shorpy, there are no swells being sent down the slough. they break into the toolies and are gone. I am the most picky person I know about water conditions and I would not do it if it ruined it for the rest.
You seem to be the only one to hold that opinion. The next time we encounter an idiot on Vic's I'll make a point of shooting some video so you can see for yourself. I'm surprised that you aren't aware of the fact that a surf boat creates swells that are perpendicular to the boat. Weird.

Your opinion is the opposite of my experience, as well as other folks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by migs
100% WRONG!!!!! U surf on vics and its all over for everyone else PERIOD. The entire length of vics will be rollers - the whole way till the end. SO GET OUTTA THERE!!! you can surf all the hunderds of miles anywhere else.

I love being on vics at sunset on a weekday - be the only boat out there, have glass as far down vics I can see, then while riding , the front of the boat just bounces up & down the entire way to the end - turn the corner and there he is a surfer. Who has now ruined one entire stretch and beginning to ruin the other side.
So we have to race past him - go half way down the run ahead of him - enough time to get my rider in and up before he gets to us, just so we can get the water before the rollers following him catch up to us.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
I had a teenage girl get whipped on a tube (by me) when I used to have my old I/O. She got whiplash of the neck and had a terrible time the rest of our vaca. I can see what Robert is talking about. Its not fun unless your getting whipped so fast you have to fight to stay on. I take full resposibility for her whiplash. I should have been pulling her a bit slower. Now I stay away, and off of those things permanently. Wakeboarding doesn't compare, it is a extreme sport and everyone knows you can get hurt at any speed wakeboarding. Also it is way more fun then getting thrown around on a air bisquit anyday. Robert that pic of Jesse is also priceless!!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
I can see that you are just trolling, but I still hold my position that it depends on how you drive. It is very easy to say it's all wakesurfers because it is true that most dont have a clue, but there are some good drivers out there.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
How is he trolling? He is speaking 100% TRUTH. please provide video to back up your claim because I don't think you will get one believer on this site. I welcome the chance to be proven wrong but just don't see it happening in this case
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
What do I gain by lying about this?

I'm sorry I like flat water
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
What do I gain by lying about this?

I'm sorry I like flat water
Why do the weak thinkers trot out the "you're trolling" bit when they are backed into a corner?

I'm sure I have video of the following swells that develop behind my boat. Hell, I've had to deal with them for enough years that I should have plenty of footage.

That will have to wait though since I'm off to Shasta for the weekend.

Mitch, do the Delta folks a favor and stay out of Vic's this weekend. There are better spots to surf, as in better spots that will produce a better wave.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
I had a teenage girl get whipped on a tube (by me) when I used to have my old I/O. She got whiplash of the neck and had a terrible time the rest of our vaca. I can see what Robert is talking about. Its not fun unless your getting whipped so fast you have to fight to stay on. I take full resposibility for her whiplash. I should have been pulling her a bit slower. Now I stay away, and off of those things permanently. Wakeboarding doesn't compare, it is a extreme sport and everyone knows you can get hurt at any speed wakeboarding. Also it is way more fun then getting thrown around on a air bisquit anyday. Robert that pic of Jesse is also priceless!!!
So what your saying is...you admit to Tubing but now cause you got a 60k boat....you don't "tube" anymore, and here to complain about it? LMFAOROTF! Admit it, your a closet tuber! You owned a tube and you LIKED it. LMAO

All my buddies with 60k boats are smarter than this..you see they actually get out of bed bright and early for glass so they're not out during the "tube fest time" with everyone else in the afternoons.

Wakeboarding has it's risks just like tubing so the argument of "tubing is unsafer" is mute

Please rant more...I find this all too comical
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
ya my kid liked it, i’m happy to retire the thing since he is grown now.closet tuber? doubt it. retired tuber? yes. I’m glad your busting a gut over this rant, its better then pissing people off.....because that was not my intention. My rant was basically just an observation of the past weekend. You are right, get up early if you can.Too bad my ass is at work. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if someone cut your path as close as it happened to me. end of rant..................................
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
Its all good bro. I just thought it was a little unfair to judge (basically alot of us with families) for tubing (which I do enjoy LOL ) As for kids getting on a surfboard, wakeboard, or kneeboard? Hells bells, Ive been trying that for 4 years getting my kids (now 8, 10, 11) surfboards, skis, wakeboard, and kneeboard. NOTHING more agrivating than taking the neighbors up the street out with us and their boys (6, 8) are jumpin in the water and strappin on a wakeboard and kneeboard and shreddin and pulling 180's and carving. I just finally got them to get confidence to sit on a tube and get pulled straight. LOL At times I wonder if theyre the fruit of my loins? J/k

My friends brother was on his boss's mastercraft a few years ago. Needless to say as they were cruisen along giving a pull to the kid behind (wakeboarding) and another boat pulling a tube managed to directly T-bone theirs. My buddys brother ended up with a broken nose and people ended up thrown out of the boat, luckily nobody was killed. When Im out on the water Im out lookin for the yahoo tubing and I keep my distance from them. I dont even want to trust them nor even put myself near them. Thats just the smart thing todo. When Im out pulling the tubes, I aint even lookin back Im looking to see that Im clear and continually scoping the area.

Last I heard, Insurance took care of the brand new mastercraft and he called it quits, never to get another boat again. Said there was too much risk, which is sad really.

I hear ya on gettin cut off though, I get that. Id be getting hull numbers and calling them in.

Look on the bright side..youve had more boat time than I have had the past 4 weeks. Currently going on week 5 here in the Arctic only to get home next week to winterize SUCKS!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2011, 12:15 AM Reply   
Mitch and the rest, you do realize shorpy is just pete faggylin, cipher, whatever. Just ignore him.

Tubes can be fun, no doubt, everyone has a right to the water. But when tubing with all but little kids, it can get a bit nuts, and i have done my share. ;-)

One time we were towing a bunch of kids with a church group at bass lake. Teaching kids how to board, ski, and some just wanted to tube. One girl wanted to sit in the tube when we asked her to lay down. Sitting down your legs can hit you in the face, and the water was choppy. She was 15 or so. She insisted, we took it easy but she still hit chop and smacked her knee on her head, and ended up with a concussion. We really were taking it easy, but it made me think of all the other kids, especially the boys that we didn't take it so easy. Lets just those boys had a blast. They threatened to sue, got a bit heated. Weird thing is that in treating her for the concussion they found a brain aneurism that was life threatening and they were able to save her life.

There have been other times with elbows in the face, etc. Needless to say, we have rarely tubed in the last 7 years or so. Just a few times with small kids without the insanity. ;-)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
thanks Matt, good luck with your kids, it will come, took my son until he was 13 or so to put the wakeboard on. I have been lucky to get out 7 times in two weeks. Sorry you have to winterize already. I usually try and ride to Nov. 1st then put her away. I now have a grandaughter and believe I will probably have to pull her on a tube sometime in her life LOL
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-20-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
Jeebus.....he's back again?

I can surf in anything,but prefer good conditions.We don't tube unless it's completely wrecked,and if you don't wakeboard/wakesurf,odds are good you wont be tubing behind my boat.....unless your a little kid.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-20-2011, 10:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorpy View Post
You seem to be the only one to hold that opinion. The next time we encounter an idiot on Vic's I'll make a point of shooting some video so you can see for yourself. I'm surprised that you aren't aware of the fact that a surf boat creates swells that are perpendicular to the boat. Weird.

Your opinion is the opposite of my experience, as well as other folks:

i would love to see that surf boat.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 09-20-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-21-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
i would love to see that surf boat.
Yeah, perpendicular to the side of the boat...I messed that explanation up.

Mitch doesn't have to listen to me. There are plenty of other folks out there whose posts illustrate the fact that he is either really unobservant (clueless) or is being disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
(snip)When my boat is setup for wakesurfing it throws a 3' tall wake and a swell that is about 2' peak to valley with about 40' between peaks. The swell follows the boat for at least a mile. Going 10mph down a straight slough sets up the swell and destroys the water for all others one mile for every 6 surfing.

Let me repeat that statement in all caps: GOING 10MPH DOWN A STRAIGHT SLOUGH CAUSES A SWELL THAT DESTROYS THE WATER FOR ALL OTHERS ONE MILE PER 6 MINUTES OF SURFING.(snip)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
For general education of wakesurfers though, this picture might be helpful. When you wakesurf you throw two separate rollers. The one off to the sides just like a wakeboarder, but you also send one straight ahead, in the picture it's represented by the black arrow. In a slough, the roller to the side hits the riprap on the levy and dissipates, the roller that goes straight ahead doesn't hit anything and so tends to go on for ages, as Mikeski points out. IMO, that's not what the argument is about, but it's that roller that the wakeboarders focus their argument on.

Upload
Hopefully Mitch learned something about the effect that "his" (whatever boat he is on since he doesn't own a wakeboat, not that there is anything wrong with that) wake has on the water. It doesn't matter how you drive a boat at displacement speed, you're going to generate following swells.

Now I realize that Mitch is just a retail drone for CMS but given his claimed water time, he should have figured out these simple facts by now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2011, 9:59 PM Reply   
shorpy (or what ever you will be called next week),
I now admit that I was wrong. I still have not seen it for myself, but less hostile people talked to me about it and made me understand.

I definitely take offense to being called a retail drone. I sell boards because I love the sport and want to see it grow. I could push brands that sell way better like Hyperlite or Ronix, but I don't. I go out and try all the boards out there and find the product I believe in and would not feel guilty about selling. How many shops out there can say that? I used to work for Ultimate Watersports/Cope and McPheters and I had say in what product to carry, but not brands. When I started working for California Marine Sports back in 2009 I was given the freedom to bring in new brands. I slowly started to bring in small wakesurf brands. I wouldnt bring them in unless they let me try their boards. Why would I buy it for a shop if I wouldnt buy it for myself? Sure I can make more money selling a Hyperlite broadcast than a Walker Project Bazooka and for a lot less time and effort, but I can be confident that I made a wakesurfer even more stoked on the sport.

I love to wakeskate and wakesurf, but these industries are small and I try to do what I can to help them grow. I want to support the brands that make the sport what it is, so I let other people know what I have experienced.

The reason I wanted to work in a pro shop was because I was tired of uneducated employs selling me what every they needed to get ride of that day. I expected to go to shops and learn. Back in 2004 when I first wanted to get into wakeskating I didn't know much about wakeskating. I went to a shop to buy a wakeskate and the guy told me the best board for me was a hyperlite scape 116cm. I had no clue, butt he price was right and I trusted his opinion so I went for it. I am 5'8" 150lbs and the guy sold me a board that is ~46" long! Now that I am more educated I ride a 38" skate by Integrity and have progressed much faster.

By people using the right gear it takes away some limitations and let people get to experience the sport for what it is rather than just another water toy. When all you think you can do is stand on the board going straight on the wave because that is all your board can do, that is how you will base your opinion of the sport. That is what most people in the other sections of wakeworld think.

I admit that I do not know everything, but I am always ready to gain more knowledge. One thing that I have a hard time with is giving people the wrong information. I remember when our shop had a Byerly Hazard for sale because the rep pressured us hard to take one in and try it out. We rode it and hated it. Since it was demoed we sold it for cost online and someone bought it. I felt so guilty after selling that board because I wish the guy would have known about better options (but really he would have just bought that board somewhere else).

Sorry about my long rant, but I do not think I deserve to be called a shop drone. I live and breath water sports and spend countless time on the water even in the dead of winter.

I am bummed that you don't respect me because I thought it would be cool to know another local delta wakesurfer. The sport is small and it would be cool to have a solid local group that supports each other.

Last edited by wakemitch; 09-21-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: mistake
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-21-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
Wow, this turned into a longer thread then anticipated, I know my surf wave messes up the lake, I’ve seen it and have run into it more then once. But everyone on this lake is crazy and has no respect for one another, so what the heck? As long as were not hitting each other its all good. I’m glad I don’t have to ride a straight slough. That would be tough to share.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-22-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
shorpy (or what ever you will be called next week),
I now admit that I was wrong. I still have not seen it for myself, but less hostile people talked to me about it and made me understand.
Good news. That's progress right there. To see it for yourself, have a surf session and then try to surf or skate through the same water. It will become abundantly clear as the tow boat porpoises and you get bounced behind the boat.

Quote:
I trusted his opinion so I went for it. I am 5'8" 150lbs and the guy sold me a board that is ~46" long! Now that I am more educated I ride a 38" skate by Integrity and have progressed much faster.
I wouldn't blame the shop guy/gal, I would, and have, taken responsibility as a consumer to be more educated.

For example: We were shopping for a more aggressive surf style board after being on a Phase 5 for years and buying (mistake but it's still a newbie board for the boat) a Liquid Farce "surf style" board.

After hating on the slow, unresponsive nature of the Liquid Farce, we demo'ed a F18 and it was more fun. We even ended up buying one. It would have been great to have been pointed to a more dynamic surf style board though since the F18, as we discovered after a few more sessions, is not a very aggressive board.

Caveat emptor. I blame us, rather than the salesperson who sold it to us.

Quote:
I One thing that I have a hard time with is giving people the wrong information
Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch;1709915I
am bummed that you don't respect me because I thought it would be cool to know another local delta wakesurfer.
Don't be bummed. You already "know" me. You're the guy that sold us the F18 mentioned above...

We'll be on Old River tomorrow from 2 on. If you see us you're welcome to take some pulls .

We'll look like this (but the boat will be leaning, the water will be opaque, and the chicks will be replaced by a handful of ugly dudes)

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
I recognize the board. The F 18 is a great board for people that are going to their first really surf style board. It is fast down the line, has good drive, and is easy to spin. It is much more risky to put someone on an aggressive board right away because they are designed for a certain style of riding. The F18 is for people still finding there style.
But that is why we have our demo program and demo events also

I dont know why you talk down to me so much.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-22-2011, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
I
I dont know why you talk down to me so much.
Maybe you missed these bits?

"I blame us, rather than the salesperson who sold it to us."

"We'll be on Old River tomorrow from 2 on. If you see us you're welcome to take some pulls ."

I blame myself for the purchase. Nobody else. Including you.

It's still a great "boat board," it's just going to be replaced with something more fun for the folks that have more "real" surf/water time.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2011, 9:46 PM Reply   
You wrote the post before obviously saying i misguided your purchase, but I'm not sure why since you said you demoed it.

I cant make it out tomorrow, but let me know another time and I can bring out whatever boards you want to try. I dont work in the store at CMS anymore because I finally moved up to Sac to focus on school, but this weekend I am helping them out while Grant is at Worlds.