Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
whats the max i can run. im runnin a hifonics amp at 220 rms and want more volume out of them.gain is a lil less then 1/2 way up.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
what are they the pro 80's?
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
yah sorry they are pro 80's. it's clear at the rider but just wanting more volume.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
I have the hifonics zxi 8404 and 8008 I have my pro 80's on the 8008 bridged at 220 I am running it at around 1 ohm because I have it hooked to my rear rca's split. what amp do you have?
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
stupid volt not ohm
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Im not sure if you have them run to your head unit or to an eq but if you use the search the topic there are alot of threads on how to set them up its what I did my head unit is 2volts if you can get an eq like the ws 420
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
im runnin the same hifonics amp.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
do you have a head unit or eq? do you know what volts you are running
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
i have a hifonics eq inc. using it to run the wetsounds/sub. then interior boat speakers on there own amp but not thru the eq. wanna be able to turn down the tower sub and have the boat stuff sounding good.
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
head unit is 2v pre out. new eq is 9v out i think.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-14-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
im not sure on that eq but you basically want to match up your gains on your amp to your volts on eq output. If you are splitting your rca's to the amps imput that splits your volts "thats why I have mine running around 1 volt as a have a 2 v head unit only".there is a great thread on here some where I'll see if I can find it with a step by step on how to set your amplifer gains I followed it and it worked perfect, I'll see if I can find it and post the link.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-14-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Here you go. I saved them on my PC for future setups.

WS420 Setup Instructions
Here is a step by step.

1) Unplug all the RCA’s from your amps. Turn all the amp gains down.

2) Turn the radio up to find the maximum volume. Set the system with the head unit volume at 85% of max. This is the loudest the radio should ever go. Radios will create distortion the higher the volume is turned up. Which will create distortion on the output signal before reaching the amps. So find a safe easy to remember volume. If the head unit is 35. Max should be 30. If the head unit is 40. Maximum should be 30 to 35 and so on.

3) Once you have found the maximum volume set point. Turn the radio back down. Use a test CD that you are familiar with for tuning. Something that has highs and lows and vocals.

4) Make sure the settings on the radio are flat. You should not tune a system with the treble or bass up.

5) On the top of the WS 420. Set the gains at the mid level. Make sure to adjust both the main gain and the aux gain. Set them both to this mid level. This is the level where most systems will be. The WS 420 has the ability to provide more voltage if there are long rca runs but most boats will be in the middle as this is a safe setting.

6) Make sure all the eq adjustments are flat. Right in the middle. Plug in all the rcas from the eq to the amps.

7) Plug in just the RCA’s for the in boat speakers amp. Set the high pass crossover at around 80HZ to 100HZ.

8) Turn the radio up to the max safe level found in step 2. Turn the eq up to about ¾ of max volume.

9) Slowly turn the gain up until you hear the speakers distort. Slowly back off the gain from that point a small amount until you hear the speakers play as loud as they can with no distortion.

10) Unplug the RCA’s from that amp and plug the RCA’s into the amp running the tower speakers. Set the high pass crossover on the amp for the tower speakers at 80HZ to 100HZ.

11) Slowly turn the gain up until you hear the speakers distort. Slowly back off the gain from that point a small amount until you hear the speakers play as loud as they can with no distortion.

12) Unplug the RCA’s from that amp and plug the RCA’s into the amp running the subwoofer. Set the low pass crossover on the amp for the subwoofer at 80HZ. On the WS 420. Turn the bass level to max. The ring is a frequency adjustment. All the way down to the left is 30 HZ. You will want to put this around 60 to 80HZ. So about ¼ of the way up.

13) Slowly turn the gain up until you hear the speakers distort. Slowly back off the gain from that point a small amount until you hear the speakers play as loud as they can with no distortion.

14) Turn the radio back down and plug in all RCA’s and do a final check with everything playing. You should now have the gains set at “unity” Meaning they are all at the same level and you are matched across the board.

15) Note that you can adjust the high pass and low pass filters to tailor the sound to each boat. As you can set the high pass higher to get more volume but at the expense of losing some low end mid bass.

16) You can then fine tune the sound on the eq as well. Using the knobs and rings. Most systems will not need much in terms of boost.

17) You can then leave the eq volume set and use the radio as the main volume. And then turn the in boats down with the towers up or vice versa depending on you goals.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-14-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
thats pretty much what ive been doing. tuning 1 thing to a set volume then all the rest to the same level.im thinkin the eq is gonna make a big diff.thanks for the help.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Nate, about 2-3 years ago, I wanted to see how much power i could send to the 80's. I had 1600 RMS going to a pair of 80's. Just for the day, but they played fine all day.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Damn, Sam - what amp did that? 800x2 right?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
It was 2- 2 channel amps (both bridged) 800x1 RMS. It was a while ago, but I think they were some older precision power amps?
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
i just really dont wanna blow them up. but want more volume. the woofer is moving but looks like its capable of more.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-15-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I've got a set out there getting about 325 watts rms each, no worries at all.

If the amp you have now is delivering 220 watts rms (@ 4 ohm) to each one, that is a good match. Are they clipping when the head unit is turned up? If so, then a line driver will help. If they are not clipping, then a new amp will be the answer to more volume.
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
nah sounding distorted at high volume.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-15-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
Ok, if you've got a 9V line driver in between the H/U and tower amp and it's distorting, I'd look at the amp settings first, before I added or replaced anything.

Start with the H/U's EQ flat. Make sure that the x-over filter for chnls 1-4 are set on Hi-Pass and the x-overs are on 80Hz's and make sure the gains on the amp are not set too high, let the line driver do the work.
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
9v eq comes in tomorrow along with the new deck.ill know whats going on after that.

(Message edited by nate01 on June 15, 2009)
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
got everything installed.the eq made a huge difference. stereo sounds just insane now.cant wait to get 2 more pro 80's.