Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-11-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
A friend of mine owns a large marina where he rents houseboats, jet skis, dock space/lifts for boats. has an impressive bar/restaurant and pro shop. He has been tossing the idea around of opening a wakeboard boat dealership on the water. There are no other dealerships on his lake, the closest being a Malibu dealership roughly 30 minutes away.

That said, there are mostly Malibus on his lake. Probably 80% of the WB boats are. He wants to bring in a line that is comparable in price/features. He is also considering Nautique I think.

I have not ridden behind a Tige or had much experience with them. Just wanted to open this up and get some insight to a solid line that competes well Malibu - in overall price and functionality.

Thanks for your help guys!

Nate
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-11-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
one last question........have you heard of any new pro riders that Tige plans on signing?
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-11-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
It sounds like he has the space and capital to get it started, also being on the lake will be a huge benefit. Along with having one other dealer it seems like a good idea to get another brand of boat on the lake, if there is enough demand for wakeboard boats. A little healthy competition is good.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-11-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
I dont know much about Tige I have only seen 1 it seamed like a nice boat . I do like the new clamp board racks they have . Nautique just came out with a new G series line that will probably sell well. What is the average price of a Tige compared to Malibu? I think both brands would give BU a run for the money
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tige makes great boats, and they seem to be getting better each year. They have also become a little bit more pricey, getting really comparable to Malibu. With what your buddy has going on there, I think it would be a great idea to bring in a competing line, having it on the water, making demos and test drives really easy. The good thing with Tige is that they are head turners, really edgy design. Like it or not, it will get peoples attention on the water, and as we all know, any attention is good.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
manf have requirements, i'm sure he would have to meet those first.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-11-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Tige and Malibu are almost identical in price right now for comparable models. I have priced them both out over the past week.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
TIGE and Malibu are good competition, probably about equal I'd say to comparing mc and cc in terms of price options etc.
I'll put it to you this way, I've never not been impressed with a TIGE and I used to absolutely hate them and think they were an mc copy cat, now I've never been so happy with a boat any boat ive been on as the rzr we have now...thing throws a large stock wake too for a pretty small boat.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
I'd love to talk to him. Epic is looking for a rep and dealers in that area right now.
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-11-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Nate, if he serious I would definitely get him to talk to Greg, I think he was up at our local boat show up in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada, he is really nice and it passionate about the brand and the boats. He was very helpful with us and made me respect the company a ton, they are definitely going to be one of the fist boats I test when I am ready to buy because of this.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-11-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
i think location has a lot to do with sales, my dealer was a cc dealer for years, they moved to malibu about 10yrs ago. Not because they did not like the cc line, but the market was selling a major amount of bu's and the cc market was drying up. They also have centurion. There on a lake with 5 other marinas that all sell wakeboats. The tige dealer ended up dumping there tige line. They said they just could not sell them in the area, not because they are not great boats, just seems like certain markets favor trends. I would really look at what volume tige has within that area (ex, 100 miles) then the other companies and go from there. I think tige has a great boat, i had bu's and now hav centurions, In my area, the Mc dealer only moves a few boats a year, but within 100 miles of pgh, there are more malibu's then any other boat. good luck
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Your in Ohio. If the dealership is going to be there,we have seen many interested parties in Ohio looking for Tiges.As far as competing
with Malibu, Tige should do very well as their boats are well built,have quality materials and a warranty second to none.They have excellent fuel economy and reliable PCM power plants.They also are cutting edge in the styling dept and have more customer customization than any other boat.There are many positives about Tige,but the deciding factor is to DEMO one.Your friend should go to ABILENE Texas and visit the factory. They will be impressed.There is a Airport right across the street from Tige and there test lake is a short trip also.I've ridden in all the boats mentioned above and none can perform in all areas as well as Tige.Before i get bashed,i want to make clear that i'm not saying that Tige is #1 in all categories.Just best score overall,it does everything well.As far as riders,i heard they had something in the works,but with Powers and Shota going to MC I don't know who they are getting.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
What about a more price line, line to compete with Malibu? MB, Axis (although the Malibu dealer most likely carries them...), Sanger and others, I know there is a huge market right now for the MB's, they are selling like hot cakes from what I hear imho.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Hooke102 View Post
What about a more price line, line to compete with Malibu? MB, Axis (although the Malibu dealer most likely carries them...), Sanger and others, I know there is a huge market right now for the MB's, they are selling like hot cakes from what I hear imho.
That's what i heard from the same guy with the same boat at three different boat shows in three different states in three months.If he hasn't sold one MB in three months how hot are they?It could be the dealer,but the boat was priced Very competitive.He was willing to deal also.There were MC,Axis,Centurion,Malibu,Tige and MB's at all the shows and all the other brands sold.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-12-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
That's what i heard from the same guy with the same boat at three different boat shows in three different states in three months.If he hasn't sold one MB in three months how hot are they?It could be the dealer,but the boat was priced Very competitive.He was willing to deal also.There were MC,Axis,Centurion,Malibu,Tige and MB's at all the shows and all the other brands sold.
what 3 states was this guy showing MB's in ?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
to play devils advocate robert, was it the same exact boat, did you see the HIN and compare it at all 3 boat shows?

Is it possible that the boat sold so well he replaced it with the same color ways for the next show?

Is it possible that the show boat sold, but part of the deal was he could continue using it for the rest of the shows?

Was it an ugly design or color, and he sold a bunch of new orders, but is unable to sell the ugly show one?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
to play devils advocate robert, was it the same exact boat, did you see the HIN and compare it at all 3 boat shows?

Is it possible that the boat sold so well he replaced it with the same color ways for the next show?

Is it possible that the show boat sold, but part of the deal was he could continue using it for the rest of the shows?

Was it an ugly design or color, and he sold a bunch of new orders, but is unable to sell the ugly show one?
Actually it was the same two boats.One was Red and White and the other was Black and blue.Both were good looking boats,but customers weren't familiar with MB name.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
If the main player in the area is malibu then Tige is the way to go.
Why?
There boat sizing works almost the same way, they're both super agressive looking boats, they both have price point models, they have similar price on the higher end models and on the budget models... a similar customer looking at malibu is going to be looking at tige. I was there last year, MC and Nautique gave us quotes that would make you roll in your grave but tige and malibu were offering similar deals (one better than the other) and had very similar features and those boats were the top 2 on the list going in. Other brands will cut into the market but not as much as tige likely will simply because its malibu.
If your major player was mc id say pick up nautique, if it was skiers choice id say grab MB
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
this thread is actually quite interesting because were looking not at whose boat is "better"(typical) but which brand is target at which market...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
bummer for him then. one of our local dealers didn't do too well at the LA boat show either. came home with all the boats that they towed out there. got new orders, but wanted to sell all the floor models and not have to take them home.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Your in Ohio. If the dealership is going to be there,we have seen many interested parties in Ohio looking for Tiges.As far as competing
with Malibu, Tige should do very well as their boats are well built,have quality materials and a warranty second to none.They have excellent fuel economy and reliable PCM power plants.They also are cutting edge in the styling dept and have more customer customization than any other boat.There are many positives about Tige,but the deciding factor is to DEMO one.Your friend should go to ABILENE Texas and visit the factory. They will be impressed.There is a Airport right across the street from Tige and there test lake is a short trip also.I've ridden in all the boats mentioned above and none can perform in all areas as well as Tige.Before i get bashed,i want to make clear that i'm not saying that Tige is #1 in all categories.Just best score overall,it does everything well.As far as riders,i heard they had something in the works,but with Powers and Shota going to MC I don't know who they are getting.
Blah, blah, blah....

Different thread, same kool aid from the same 3-4 dudes.

Last edited by ixfe; 04-11-2012 at 9:09 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2012, 4:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Blah, blah, blah....

Different thread, same kool aid from the same 3-4 dudes.
Just responding to the OP's question.Between Tige and Nautique which one would compete better?Nautique is a excellent boat with very nice amenities.When it comes to price,thats when it's hard for Nautique to compete with Malibu. Tige and Malibu are very similarly priced.By the way i like MB boats and think they are a great value.What i was trying to point out was Name Brand recognition. MB is still gaining Name Brand recognition,but in some parts of the country they are still not recognized.Where's the Kool Aid?
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-12-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
I would personally like to see another boat dealership in Ohio. I live in Columbus and own the local boardshop with the nearest boat dealership being Cincinnati....well there is a very small Malibu dealership just north of Columbus but they don't really push wakeboard boats. If your going to sell "wakeboard boats" you gotta go with what the Ohio people want......Nautique or Malibu.....That's whats known and what's pushed. You live on the Maumee....your fav rider is the Nautique rep......you own a Nautique.....I know if it was me, which way I would help my friend pick! Plus the New G23 is coming out, I just purchashed a 230 and already know what my next boat will be......
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-12-2012, 5:56 AM Reply   
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Wait a minute,that's not TO.Get your popcorn ready!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-12-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
Atlanta/Georgia is a huge boat market with tons of lakes and lots of riders. Tige has never been able to keep a dealership open here for any length of time. In fact, they didn't even have a single Tige that I could find at the Atlanta boat show. Weird how much regional difference there is in boat sales - I like the look of the new Tige's.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Okay gonna play devils advocate nautiboy. Tiges got a new hull too, It's 23 feet as well and will put down a huge wake when properly weighted...it's also probably 35 k less than the new nautique, so what's gonna sell? The 125k flagship with a huge wake that hardly anyone will be able to take full potential of or the 85k extra large wake that costs aton less money...
Also you've gotta realize here if it's Malibu, it's axis. Nautique has no boat that can compete with an axis, not even close, TIGE has the r20 and z1 that start at modest price points that will compete.

He's a dealer he wants to sell boats, he needs to look at the demographic he's selling to and point to those. It's people willing to pay 85k for a Mxz/rz2/z3/23lsv are they really gonna wanna pay 95-100k for a now outdated 230 or like 130k for a g23??? Nautique just doesn't make as MUCH sense as a
Competitor for Malibu.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-12-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
I wish he was in Ohio...........unfortunately he is not. If he was, Jim, I would for sure push Nautique. Like you said, between owning one and knowing Adam, it seems like the obvious choice. Plus, the G23 is incredible.

He is south of me, I hesitate to say where as he hasn't committed to this 100%. He has visited Tige and said he is impressed with the outfit. It does seem to me to be a lateral player to Malibu, other than Brand Recognition, especially in Ohio - where I ride. In this area, I primarily see Nautique and Malibu. It would be interesting to see what would happen here (we don't have any dealerships close - an hours drive or more) if a Tige dealership opened on the river. Marketed well, hired awesome staff, held competitions, picked up local sponsorship - etc...ie: get the local wakeboard community behind them..... I suspect people would start gravitating toward that brand.

Although, can the dealership last long enough (and afford to do all that) to make it?

(small hijack here) Jim, my bro-in-law lives in Columbus, he rides Alum Creek (close to his home). Good spot in the early morning before the crowd gets out. Are there other solid spots to ride in Columbus?
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-12-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
There is the Scioto River & O'shaughnessy - If he ever wants to get out to check em out - Have him call me
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I actually live in the northwest so the comment about the MB's was only based on my knowledge of that area... I just figured since they were selling like crazy here they may be the same else where, but apparently not.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Hooke102 View Post
I actually live in the northwest so the comment about the MB's was only based on my knowledge of that area... I just figured since they were selling like crazy here they may be the same else where, but apparently not.
Usually a Manufacturer is strong in their own geographical area.Also they have hot spots where dealers are strong.MB is a excellent boat,they just need different areas developed.As for Nautique they wouldn't do well in some areas where income wouldn't support their sales.From a monetary aspect Malibu and Tige are close,just like Mastercraft and Nautique.All are very well built boats.All of them also have unique features their buyers like.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'm surprised that nobody has advocated for Skiers Choice yet. You'd get two lines; price point Moomba and "luxury" Supra. They'd be priced under Malibu and Axis by a little. Also, since you'd be a certified indmar dealership, you might also be able to steal some service away from the Malibu dealership. You get them in for service and then maybe they look around the showroom. Both Malibu and Supra are fairly classic looking boats (as opposed to Tige).
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-12-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
I went on a tour of the Malibu plant in Tennessee.....Axis being built on the same line as the Malibu's.....built exactly by the same workers - the only difference is - which bin they grabbed the material from but that difference was enough for my friend to buy the more expensive MXZ. If you can afford to buy a new boat outright....then price probably isn't a factor. If you are financing it.... what's 35K over 15 years on your monthly payment....$80
I am all for Tige, epic or any boat coming up to Ohio to get in the mix for people that can't afford 100K boats. I think if Tige or Epic wants to make a scene up here, they should be up here promoting and letting people ride behind there boats but they don't.

and to answer your question - it's also probably 35 k less than the new nautique, so what's gonna sell?
A - I can only answer for me & my friends.....we all looked at the boats mentioned Axis, Malibu, Nautique & Mastercraft
I bought the Super Air 230
My buddy Matt - Malibu MXZ
My Buddy Brett - Malibu VLX
I am sure we all would have loved to save 35k......but you get what you pay for
Old     (jeanwagner)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-12-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Nate - Have your friend contact Bryan Ellis, Tige Corporate Regional Sales Manager at bryan@tige.com -- we'll set up a time where he can test drive any Tige he would like.

Tige's international professional riders train behind and compete in worldwide events throughout the year and cover all sports -- wakeboarding, wake surfing, slalom skiing and wake skating. Pro-Wakeboarders Adam Errington and Erik Ruck are both in the May 2012 issue of Wakeboarding Magazine. Adam Errington and the Tige Z3 are on the cover. Pro-Surfers, Dom Lagace, Chase Hazen and Ashley Kidd represent Tige on the surf scene. Dom recently released the Dom Lagace Edition of Liquid Force skim board. Chris Rossi slaloms and trains behind a Tige 22i and Dieter Humpsch wakeskates behind a Tige RZR. In addition we have international riders, Scotty Broome, Daniel Watkins, Shaun Faccio and Julien Bonnet.

Tige Z3 has recently been chosen as the official tow boat of this year's Tige Wakesurf Open, MyWake Global Challenge, European Wakeboard Tour, Russia Wakesurf Championship...
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-12-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Plus one for Tige here. Runner up would be for Centurion.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
I think Tige is a great brand that stands behind their products and can successfully compete against Malibu in any market with the right Sales and Service force behind it! Tige is gaining steam right now in the market and people really notice the styling of them on the lake, especially in areas that are dominated by other brands. I think your friend should definitely go for it if he has good customer service. Good luck to him!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
For a market already dominated by Malibu, I think Tige would be a very good move. Think they are doing a great job of going after the Malibu market share.

What Tige is doing right now is very similar to what Chaparral did to Sea Ray over the past 10 years. Build an equal or superior boat with better build techniques for a better price.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-12-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
Last year in 2011 I narrowed my purchase down to three boats, Malibu VLX, Tige RZ2, and Supra 22 SSV. The RZ2 was $18k more than a comparable loaded VLX, and the Supra was the same price as the VLX.. Tige used to be a good value boat, but there prices IMO are very high now, not sure what happened to them with pricing. I know in California there was only one dealer, not sure about now, maybe they added another dealer in nor cal.. Zero negotiations available with Tige, that was the price, take it or leave it and I was going to have to fly to so cal to test drive one.. There was no dealer support at all in nor cal for Tige at that time.

He might have a hard time selling Tige for more than Malibu. If it were me, I would look into a brand with a cheaper price point (MB, Centurion, Sanger).... Maybe pricing has changed on Tige in 2012 and they are more comparably priced to Malibu.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
Last year in 2011 I narrowed my purchase down to three boats, Malibu VLX, Tige RZ2, and Supra 22 SSV. The RZ2 was $18k more than a comparable loaded VLX, and the Supra was the same price as the VLX.. Tige used to be a good value boat, but there prices IMO are very high now, not sure what happened to them with pricing. I know in California there was only one dealer, not sure about now, maybe they added another dealer in nor cal.. Zero negotiations available with Tige, that was the price, take it or leave it and I was going to have to fly to so cal to test drive one.. There was no dealer support at all in nor cal for Tige at that time.

He might have a hard time selling Tige for more than Malibu. If it were me, I would look into a brand with a cheaper price point (MB, Centurion, Sanger).... Maybe pricing has changed on Tige in 2012 and they are more comparably priced to Malibu.
that experience is EXACTLY the opposite that we got...
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-12-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
that experience is EXACTLY the opposite that we got...
I was pretty shocked myself, needless to say I ended up with the Malibu. I think Tige builds a nice boat, but in my case not almost $20k more than a VLX. Plus there was no dealer anywhere near us that sold Tige. I am glad you had a much better Tige buying experience than I did.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-12-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
there is a tige dealer in nor cal it 'sCalifornia Marine Sports it's in Suisun City

Last edited by davidggriffith; 04-12-2012 at 9:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-13-2012, 4:41 AM Reply   
Here's some food for thought.......
1.) Everyone in Northwest Ohio, Southeast Mich & Northeast Indiana that already owns Nautiques......when its time for them to upgrade to a new boat......do you really think they will switch brands??
2.) how many people that get into wakeboarding go out and buy a 100k boat for there 1st boat right out of the gate?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2012, 4:51 AM Reply   
I think Tige would be a great choice for you buddy. They are hands down the best to work with. They go out of there way to make sure their dealers get everything they need to take care of the customer. If they are selling Malibus your buddy will kill with the Tiges IMPO.
RZ2 18k more than a VLX ....umm yeah I have seen them in the same show room and can assure you that was not the case.
Sounds like your buddy has a good pulse on the market and has picked the right boat for the right reasons. He will not de disapointed going with Tige IMPO.
Old     (KevinC)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-14-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidggriffith View Post
there is a tige dealer in nor cal it 'sCalifornia Marine Sports it's in Suisun City
Closest Tige dealer to NorCal is now Reno/Sparks area. Southern Cal is another option. Cal Marine Sports handles Supreme and Centurion according to webpage.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-13-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
I was pretty shocked myself, needless to say I ended up with the Malibu. I think Tige builds a nice boat, but in my case not almost $20k more than a VLX. Plus there was no dealer anywhere near us that sold Tige. I am glad you had a much better Tige buying experience than I did.

I'm sorry to hear that yours was a negative one. They've been really great to us as a brand, corporate as well as the boat and dealer. Also if that's the case it sounds like you got a good deal on an awesome boat, enjoy it! It just kills me how different pricing is across the nation.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-13-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
I don't know what I find more astonishing...

That Tige hasn't been the in-and-out-of-business-in-3-years brand that I thought they'd be.

OR!

That someone would mention frigging Malibu and Tige as too close to one another in price. Tige? vs freaking Malibu? Seriously you must be out your mind. Anyone with some years around these boats... just... knows... stuff...

And as someone who has been in and around Tige for a long time, it is astonishing ASTONISHING, ASTONISHING to me that they're still around, let alone garnering interest in dealership startups from an inbound market perspective, not outbound (aka Tige asking you to carry their line of boats). Those early V-dive Riders' Editions were some of the worst boats I have ever been around.

Astonishing.

Go the Nautique or Epic way if they'll have you. Especially Nautique.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-13-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Lol u serious bro?
Can't speak for the older boats but the new ones are absolutely top notch.
Pretty sure they're the only inboard boat company that's been growing?? Explain that one since they're such pieces of ****. I'll take you out anytime and prove everything you said wrong.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-13-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
Id go with Skiers choice or MB - to be a slightly less expensive choice than Malibu, but top notch nonetheless. Im sure thatll take some of the business away from the Mali dealership.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-13-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
I really like the idea of skiers choice/ also taking the Indmar service from the Malibu dealer
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Can't you guys tell the pot stirring is going on.These guys are eating this up.It doesn't matter to them that Tige is the official boat of Wakeworld and Transworld wake boarding.Probably will surpass Nautique in sales by the end of the year.They get their joy from bashing Tige,you get your joy from owning one.Fear of the new kid on the block,it's a funny thing.They just can't figure out how he gets all the girls.....STYLE!!!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
.It doesn't matter to them that Tige is the official boat of Wakeworld and Transworld wake boarding.Probably will surpass Nautique in sales by the end of the year.
Yet again another ridiculous fan boy post, seriously is it that hard to remain neutral about boat brands? Tiges are decent mid line wakeboats, nothing more nothing less. Wakeworld and Transworld have them because they were given a ridiculous deal, it has very little to do with the actual boat itself...

Last edited by MattieK27; 04-13-2012 at 9:02 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2012, 5:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Yet again another ridiculous fan boy post, seriously is it that hard to remain neutral about boat brands? Tiges are decent mid line wakeboats, nothing more nothing less. Wakeworld and Transworld have them because they were given a ridiculous deal, it has very little to do with the actual boat itself...
Just like other manufacturers gave deals to companies and athletes to use their boats.Show us some facts to support your assertion that another brand competes better with Malibu price wise.We have seen numerous people on Tige Owners come on asking for information on Tiges compared to Malibu,Mastercraft,Nautique,Supra,Axis,Moomba and MB. Most of them bought Tiges but all of them demoed every boat they were interested in.The funny thing is they said they felt more welcome on TO than WW. We suggested they demo all the boats and pointed out each boats strengths and weaknesses. All I have done is point out facts. All you have done is say I'm a fanboy. If you go to TO you will see just like on WW I point out strengths and weaknesses of each brand as well as my opinion. Everyone has one,why does mine count less than yours?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just like other manufacturers gave deals to companies and athletes to use their boats.Show us some facts to support your assertion that another brand competes better with Malibu price wise.We have seen numerous people on Tige Owners come on asking for information on Tiges compared to Malibu,Mastercraft,Nautique,Supra,Axis,Moomba and MB. Most of them bought Tiges but all of them demoed every boat they were interested in.The funny thing is they said they felt more welcome on TO than WW. We suggested they demo all the boats and pointed out each boats strengths and weaknesses. All I have done is point out facts. All you have done is say I'm a fanboy. If you go to TO you will see just like on WW I point out strengths and weaknesses of each brand as well as my opinion. Everyone has one,why does mine count less than yours?
The funny part is I actually like the Tige line, and came within a signature of owning one. You don't point out facts. You argue in a circle and people just tire out and stop caring. How about you show me anything to support your assertion that I claimed another brand competes better with Malibu? Hell, a few posts ago I was the one that pointed out due to Malibus direction dictated by its holding company, Tiges quality might actually be better. You immediately assumed I was downing "your brand," and I wasn't.

Your opinion means less because you are clearly biased, yet you take steps to hide it. That to me is more aggravating than someone who is biased and admits it. Why are you a fan boy? Only a fan boy would point out Tige being the official Wakeworld and Transworld boat, and not take into account that it has more to do with Tige's marketing dollars than a decision made by either of those organizations. Just like other manufacturers? Yep, but you weren't trying to hype up other brands by pointing out their usage by 3rd parties, you were pointing out Tige. (of course) So no, it shouldn't matter that Tige is the official boat of Transworld and Wakeworld to anyone, it literally says nothing about the boat itself.

Last edited by MattieK27; 04-14-2012 at 8:16 AM.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Boomshot is still living in the past. I don't even own a Tige now, but it is easy to see he doesn't keep up with recent years. 2009+ Tiges are pretty well refined and built.

I have a 2006 Malibu, and I would not even put my buddy's 2006 Tige in the same category. But the 2009's and up I have seen are in the same league, without a doubt.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-18-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
Tall when did you sell your X45. What BU do you have now???

QUOTE=talltigeguy;1744378]Boomshot is still living in the past. I don't even own a Tige now, but it is easy to see he doesn't keep up with recent years. 2009+ Tiges are pretty well refined and built.

I have a 2006 Malibu, and I would not even put my buddy's 2006 Tige in the same category. But the 2009's and up I have seen are in the same league, without a doubt.[/QUOTE]
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-14-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thank God we have Sanger here in Cali, custom boat builder not interested in growing market share just dedicated to building high quality custom boats one at a time.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-14-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
This has nothing to do with who's better. It's about location and market share. Tige has been strong in other markets but not in the north east. I live in pgh. I looked at tige. I like the product but the dealer dumped it. There will be another and they will most likely dump it as well. It's not that there boats don't rock. It's perception. It takes a long time to get a brand strong in an area. I hope they do grow and have good presence here but until they do. It's going to be hard for the average Joe to buy a product with the knowledge that the dealer with be gone before you can blink. So now the owners are out of luck and faced to travel hundreds of miles for support. Let's face it, this is a hobby, a toy, we all have expendable money to own these boats, but I personally will not waste my free time to cart my broken 80k toy 3 states to get service. I will dump it and purchase a product with good support and stable deal networking.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-14-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
This has nothing to do with who's better. It's about location and market share. Tige has been strong in other markets but not in the north east. I live in pgh. I looked at tige. I like the product but the dealer dumped it. There will be another and they will most likely dump it as well. It's not that there boats don't rock. It's perception. It takes a long time to get a brand strong in an area. I hope they do grow and have good presence here but until they do. It's going to be hard for the average Joe to buy a product with the knowledge that the dealer with be gone before you can blink. So now the owners are out of luck and faced to travel hundreds of miles for support. Let's face it, this is a hobby, a toy, we all have expendable money to own these boats, but I personally will not waste my free time to cart my broken 80k toy 3 states to get service. I will dump it and purchase a product with good support and stable deal networking.
I agree, love or hate the big 3 (MC, CC/Nautique, and Malibu) they dominate the boat market. And they dominate the market because they produce nice boats, have great dealership locations throughout the United States, good advertising, pro riders, etc... Its very similar to Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Hyundai is building much nicer vehicles now, but its still the Hyundai brand name, and they must price it occordingly to the Big 3 (Honda, Toyota, and Nissan) to obtain sales from customers. If they were priced the same or more expensive they would not sell many vehicles even if they are now producing a better product.

For this person to open a dealership next to Malibu he has to offer a good value boat that will attract a buyer. Selling Tiges for as much or more than a Malibu IMO would be a bad business decision. If the Tige line was cheaper than Malibu it would work well, but as I mentioned, after being interested in the RZ2 for $16k more than a VLX it made no sense to me as a buyer to do this. Tige, like it or not has been labeled as a "value" brand for years, yes they produce a great boat, which is improving every year, but it still has brand perception as a good value boat. I am not degrading the build quality of Tige, but people that are shopping for a Malibu, CC or MC are expecting to pay more because the brand name is established as an "upper" end boat, not a "value" boat.

A good friend has a Tige, when I was shopping last year for a new boat he mentioned to me, "hey look at Tige, you get a lot of boat for the money and its much cheaper than Malibu and Mastercraft." His boat is a 2007, so he has not been in the market shopping lately. But I thought it was interesting of what his perception was of Tige, and he owns one.

If I was in his situation, I would look into MB, Centurion, Moomba, etc... something significantly cheaper than Malibu to pursuade a buyer to purchase from his shop.

Last edited by fman; 04-14-2012 at 4:22 PM.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-14-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
I took some heat for my comments and I guess I deserve that.

Let me begin by saying that yes, I have huge personal issues with Tige.

You can search my posting history over the past... er.. 4-5 years on here and I defy you to find me disparage another boat, let alone an entire brand.

Love em all. I love this industry. Except Tige gives me the willies so bad. Their dealers lie (our boats need no ballast etc) and they are a sheep in wolf's clothing in my experience. Rickety, light frames and poor construction. Improving, yes. But that improvement has been in the 2010 boats and newer. Before that, absolutely I can attest to the extraordinarily poor production value and out-of-the-box wake. So I did come in here, I guess to do some stirring inadvertently. But I can't gloss over the fact that I have had huge problems with the boats. I am one guy with one sh**ty opinion. Ignore it or factor it in. I don't care.

Last edited by boomshot; 04-14-2012 at 4:56 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
I took some heat for my comments and I guess I deserve that.

Let me begin by saying that yes, I have huge personal issues with Tige.

You can search my posting history over the past... er.. 4-5 years on here and I defy you to find me disparage another boat, let alone an entire brand.

Love em all. I love this industry. Except Tige gives me the willies so bad. Their dealers lie (our boats need no ballast etc) and they are a sheep in wolf's clothing in my experience. Rickety, light frames and poor construction. Improving, yes. But that improvement has been in the 2010 boats and newer. Before that, absolutely I can attest to the extraordinarily poor production value and out-of-the-box wake. So I did come in here, I guess to do some stirring inadvertently. But I can't gloss over the fact that I have had huge problems with the boats. I am one guy with one sh**ty opinion. Ignore it or factor it in. I don't care.
I find that hilarious. I owned a 2007 before I bought my 2011. I
had 420 trouble free hours on the 2007 and the current owner has almost 500. I know a Tige owner with a 2004 with 1200 hours on it. Also many other older Tige's with over 500 trouble free hours . I believe you may have been lied to,but that could happen with any brand. I know of at least 3 people on just about every brand of boat including Tige who have had issues with their boats. You mention Tige has poor construction techniques. They have the same technique now as they did in 2007 when I first toured the factory. I toured it again in 2011 and that's what I base my statement on. They use the same technique as Mastercraft and the new Malibu MXZ. So that's why I said Tige is comparable to Malibu. I researched all wake boats before I purchased my 2007 and my 2011. Both times Tige was less expensive than MC,Nautique and Malibu. In 2011 they were much closer in price to Malibu than in 2007. As far as quality that's to each his own. Stir if you will ,but it doesn't bother me. To the OP Wakeworld has bashed Tige's for years,but they continue to grow more and more popular every year. Will they catch the big three? That's something we will have to wait and see.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Kevin california marine sports is a new tige dealer I talked to them last week they said there z3 s are coming in may
Old     (KevinC)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-14-2012, 3:51 PM Reply   
Being a current boat shopper, I think MB Sports or Sanger would be a better line to carry wtih Malibu then Tige. I am looking at Malibu on the high end and middle and MB and Sanger on the more modest price boats. I think having a lower price point option (Chevy Suburban) to go along with the Malibu makes more sense (Cadillac Escalade). There are more Suburban buyers than Escalade buyers. Malibu will bring them in and then MB, Sanger, Axis will make sure more don't leave without a boat. Nautique, or Tige would be going for higher margin sales again (I think anyway).
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Being a current boat shopper, I think MB Sports or Sanger would be a better line to carry wtih Malibu then Tige. I am looking at Malibu on the high end and middle and MB and Sanger on the more modest price boats. I think having a lower price point option (Chevy Suburban) to go along with the Malibu makes more sense (Cadillac Escalade). There are more Suburban buyers than Escalade buyers. Malibu will bring them in and then MB, Sanger, Axis will make sure more don't leave without a boat. Nautique, or Tige would be going for higher margin sales again (I think anyway).
Reread the original post, he wants to bring in a brand that competes with Malibu directly, he currently doesn't have any boat line. (Malibu is carried by a competing dealer)
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-15-2012, 4:00 AM Reply   
Going to say this last piece on TIGE quality.

My buddy had a 22i, he had a fair share of issues. He upgraded in 2010 to another boat from "the big 3" and has had more issues than he ever had on his 07, one issue more or less doesn't allow us to wakeboard behind the boat, and he can't get the dealer to fix any of it. He wants to get an Rz2.

He also said when he got into the boat that it was a "completely different boat" than what he used to have. So yes I would have to say that TIGE has greatly increased their quality over the years but the boats are every bit as well built as the big 3 and they stand behind that.

I spend a majority of my time in MC's and have found TIGE to be comparable in build quality and solid feel in rough water. Also for prices, the difference between our boat and an x2 equally optioned was 32,995 out the door.... Similar with other brands...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Travis, why would you try and compare a VLX to an RZ2? The VLX would be a competitor to either the Z1 or the 22Ve, not the RZ2. I guarantee the VLX was more than the Z1. Of course the RZ2 is going to be more, it's a bigger boat (102" beam vs 100", 22' vs 21'6", picklefork bow vs pointed). The MXZ would be the direct competitor for the RZ2 now but I realize that wasn't an option until this year.
Old     (Tigebill)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-15-2012, 11:34 PM Reply   
Being the owner of the Tige dealership in Denver for 14 years. I can only say that
If you're friend has been offered the opportunity to sell Tige' they should jump on
As quickly as they can! Tige' has always had the passion it takes to build a great boat
But for the last few years the entire Tige' Team has worked to build A line of Wakeboard
And Wakesurf boats that is Second to no other on the planet. Best business decision we
Ever made!
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2012, 3:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigebill View Post
Being the owner of the Tige dealership in Denver for 14 years. I can only say that
If you're friend has been offered the opportunity to sell Tige' they should jump on
As quickly as they can! Tige' has always had the passion it takes to build a great boat
But for the last few years the entire Tige' Team has worked to build A line of Wakeboard
And Wakesurf boats that is Second to no other on the planet. Best business decision we
Ever made!
As the owner of a dealership, I'd expect no more than this from you.
But what is the point of saying this apart from being a huge kissass and shill?
Makes me a want to puke. People like this, you know, would say that about absolutely ANY brand.

Other Great Brands:
Sherman's Imitation Mayonnaise
Moist Books - "Who left these books outside? We did! - Moist Books"
Mosquito Breeders of America
Syrian Tourist Board
Butt Crack Balm
Depends for Racists
Loose Marshmallows
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-16-2012, 4:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
As the owner of a dealership, I'd expect no more than this from you.
But what is the point of saying this apart from being a huge kissass and shill?
Makes me a want to puke. People like this, you know, would say that about absolutely ANY brand.

Other Great Brands:
Sherman's Imitation Mayonnaise
Moist Books - "Who left these books outside? We did! - Moist Books"
Mosquito Breeders of America
Syrian Tourist Board
Butt Crack Balm
Depends for Racists
Loose Marshmallows
Hey Bomb Scare,nobody cares about your bachelor in B.S. He said he's been a dealer for 14 years. That completely shoots down all your BS.Also he stated Tige has improved over the years. I believe if you look at the number of boats he sells in Colorado,he's selling something people there want.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
Heh, heh. "Bomb Scare". That made me laugh. That's actually funny. Good one.

It's not that "nobody cares", it's that this stuff can be hard to hear. I will shutup though.
Old     (colosurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-16-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Heh, heh. "Bomb Scare". That made me laugh. That's actually funny. Good one.

It's not that "nobody cares", it's that this stuff can be hard to hear. I will shutup though.
Please do!!!!! I visit these forums because I have a passion for boating. I grow tired of logging on to only read about somebody's one sided opinion about a boat brand. I love boats, all make and models. I love being on the water and enjoy others commenting on their experiences. Your opinion is not my reality!!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-16-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colosurfer View Post
Please do!!!!! I visit these forums because I have a passion for boating. I grow tired of logging on to only read about somebody's one sided opinion about a boat brand. I love boats, all make and models. I love being on the water and enjoy others commenting on their experiences. Your opinion is not my reality!!
Well. Ok. Hang on...
Know what though? They are by far, far, farfarfarfarfar the most devicive and controversial brand. Part of this is some stirring of the pot I guess (judging by the tone), but part of this happens in each and every Tige thread. So, how different is his "one sided opinion" versus that of the guy who just said that Tige boats are "second to no other on the planet".

Cuz' I don't like either side of that. Both stink like bias.

I agree that Tige has made some gains, but they remain a brand that gets people riled (and pig piled) up.
Old     (colosurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-16-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Well. Ok. Hang on...
Know what though? They are by far, far, farfarfarfarfar the most devicive and controversial brand. Part of this is some stirring of the pot I guess (judging by the tone), but part of this happens in each and every Tige thread. So, how different is his "one sided opinion" versus that of the guy who just said that Tige boats are "second to no other on the planet".

Cuz' I don't like either side of that. Both stink like bias.

I agree that Tige has made some gains, but they remain a brand that gets people riled (and pig piled) up.
I didnt mention Tige in my post. I merely posted that I get tired of all the negative posting that is going on. I'm not stirring up the pot. It's not just Tige. All the brands get hammered on Wakeworld. MC & Tige seem to be the biggest targets! The Op started this thread for some feedback and it quickly turns into a brand bashing war.. No facts, just bulls**t opinions. I recently joined wakeworld a few months back... I cant tell you how many threads end up in this fashion but it's most.. This sucks!! I want to be able to enjoy reading about others experiences and such but continue to get frustrated with the way these threads always end up. I guess I will have to look into other resources to get my fill..
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
if your buddy is in the oh,ky, area. malibu are kings because thats all there is. there is one dealer in cincy they sell malibu, and just picked up nautique.. I think there is also a moomba dealer aswell.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
The Bill Bistline's of the world are the ones that you WANT to hear from. He's had his dealership for 14 years, only sells one line of boats and it is highly profitable! If I am going into business to sell something, I want to see someone with that kind of longevity in the marketplace and hear from them on an open forum and probably call them up on the phone and find out what they have done to create a successful business that held up during the tough economic times that we have had in the last few years.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-16-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Why do you think that is?

I guess it's a love it or hate it kind of brand...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Listen I dont even own one but KKO works on boats and the guy tells the truth. He also knows what he says when it comes to Malibu and Tige in the same show room. I will tell you there is a boomshot for every brand. So do not doubth he had a HORRRRRRRRIBLE experience. I own my own company and bend over backwards and kiss more ass than you can imagine and we have a few people out there thats freaking HATE us. I think you need a brand that fits the most people in the area you are selling. Also keep in mind everytime you move a boat you gain a service customer. Do you have hard core wakeboarders or mostly families with money pulling tubes. Could the guy go with a BIG name brand and go with MB, Axis or Moomba brands that have price point boats etc. Good luck.
Old     (rcorrell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-16-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Truth,
You seem to have an extreme opinion about Tige' I will tell you that I have been manufacturing boats for 30 years, the last 6 with Tige' I have been in every competitors factory and on their boats and I wouldn't bash anyone of them, while they make good boats they are not a better built boat than Tige'. I want to offer to fly you to the factory so you can see for yourself the quality and dedication that goes into each and every boat.

Call me directly 325-676-7777 I will arrange your flight and hotel while you are here I guarantee once informed you will have an entirly different opinon of Tige.

Rick Correll
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Why do you think that is?

I guess it's a love it or hate it kind of brand...
Yup. Love them or hate them.
You ask... why. I have thoughts. There are 2 main reasons I can think of why someone falls toward the hate side. I can't speak to the love side. And there may be more than 2 reasons, and the "love" list may be a mile long. F**k if I know.

1. Because at one point they put out a very difficult boat to be around, own, and be subject to. It was already mentioned in this thread - those v-drive Riders' Editions from 99-somewhere in the 2000's. That reputation has a long tail and they're still dealing with it. Those boats... jesus christ...

2. "Out boat's don't need ballast." - Tige Dealers. A lie. Period.

Sorry to put it out there like that, but that's my understanding of why Tige constantly fights with the internet.

**EDIT** Eeek. Yikes. Dads Home! Thank you Rick. Yes I do have an extreme opinion of Tige. Didn't exactly mean to get the President of Tige involved but I appreciate your offer. As much as I love airplane rides I will have to pass. But I sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited by boomshot; 04-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-16-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
I used to scoff at the idea of no ballast too, but now they offer more ballat than most.

You just got an opportunity to see the factory... If I had that I would jump on it.

I am I biased yes, I'm a proud owner.
Does the boat have flaws? Yes, every boat does.
Do I hate other brands? Nope, even with negative experiences.
Old     (colosurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-16-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yup. Love them or hate them.
You ask... why. I have thoughts. There are 2 main reasons I can think of why someone falls toward the hate side. I can't speak to the love side. And there may be more than 2 reasons, and the "love" list may be a mile long. F**k if I know.

1. Because at one point they put out a very difficult boat to be around, own, and be subject to. It was already mentioned in this thread - those v-drive Riders' Editions from 99-somewhere in the 2000's. That reputation has a long tail and they're still dealing with it. Those boats... jesus christ...

2. "Out boat's don't need ballast." - Tige Dealers. A lie. Period.

Sorry to put it out there like that, but that's my understanding of why Tige constantly fights with the internet.

**EDIT** Eeek. Yikes. Dads Home! Thank you Rick. Yes I do have an extreme opinion of Tige. Didn't exactly mean to get the President of Tige involved but I appreciate your offer. As much as I love airplane rides I will have to pass. But I sincerely appreciate it.
The president of the company your bashing calls you out to prove you wrong about his brand and it only takes you 2 Min. to reply with a "NO" Your statements and opinions have no validity then do they?? Wow! I would have jumped at a chance to check out a boat manf. Even if it wasnt my brand of choice. Maybe I would learn something about an industry I'm passionate about.. You should reconsider dude!!!