Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2003, 6:21 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a new digital video camera, there are lots of choices so I need some help. Is the DVD digital worth looking at? I've been looking at the sony trv38, It has a large swivel screen and is priced under a thousand. Any thoughts? help!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-20-2003, 6:24 PM Reply   
The only advantage of the DVD camcorders is that you can pop the DVD into most DVD players and watch it. I record video to edit it and make a video so that feature doesn't appeal to me. You could still capture video from the DVD to your computer but the quality will be poor compared to a miniDV tape.

The TRV38 is a nice camera and would work well for shooting wakeboarding and general use.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Bill, thanks for the info. Is the sony the best or should I look at other brands as well. I've noticed more features for less money with some of the others like the jvc.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-20-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
From my experience the top brands offer similar quality and since it's a standard, video quality is almost exactly the same. That changes as you get into the 3ccd cameras.

So other brands to look at: Canon, JVC, Panasonic

If you're a Costco member they have some pretty good deals. Otherwise there are reputable shops online such as B&H Photo and others. Otherwise just wait for a sale at someplace like Best Buy or Circuit City. At least you have plenty of options since your budget is $1000. It's a lot more limited when people can only afford $300 or $400.

Remember to include a camera case, spare high capacity battery, blank tapes and maybe a tripod. For shooting inside a wide angle lens is a good idea, the telephoto ones are generally useless.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
great info, thanks
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-20-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
i would second the wide-angle lens. i got one for my sony when i was shooting a short film and it made a world of difference. i specifically got it because i was shooting with a steadicam jr and needed to be able to maneuver in tight spaces, but its good for shooting wakesurfing too. :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-21-2003, 3:11 AM Reply   
One camera to look at if you can increase your budget slightly is the new Panasonic PV-DV953. It was the first 3CCD video camera under $2,000. I've seen it listed for less than $1,200 already. There's a full review online: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-pv-dv953-camcorder-review.htm

That site is a good one for product information and reviews. You might want to spend some time checking it out before making a decision.

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-21-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
Bill, that camera is nice, how much better will the 3 chip make the final edited video look?
Sorry for the stupidity, the last camera I owned was an 8mm, Hi 8 was just becoming affordable.
Old                11-21-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
HI tom, the chip kicks assss BUt if u are shooting strictly for personal use, than i would stick to a cheaper camera, unless u want the best! a 3chip makes a world of difference!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
tom, the 3chips definitely have much better resolution, but it depends what your final format is going to be - if you're only shooting stuff that's going to be put up on the web for fun, i wouldn't spend the extra for the 3c. but if you're looking to master to dvd...