Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-20-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
I just built (am building) two speaker cans from 6" pvc pipe - they are turning out pretty sweet actually, but are fairly heavy. if i use a round clamp for my tower and run a 10 mm bolt through the top of the can (from the inside going up) and into the clamp - along with some locktight, will those hold? a general question i know, but just curious. also, what's the best way to prep and paint pvc - what products, how many coats, etc. - so they hold up to travel and don't chip away? thanks!
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-20-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'd just give me a light sanding for adhesion and then apply the paint. It's either Rustoleum or Krylon that makes a paint specifically for plastics....the last place I saw it was at Lowe's or Home Depot. You'll find it in the section with the other spray paints.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I used high heat engine paint from autozone . It stuck awesomly , and was really shinny . After that and a couple coats of clear , u cant tell they are PVC by looking ..
Old     (board218)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-03-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
I used bondo on the seam where the end cap and the coupling fit together, sanded the entire can with a small vibrating palm sander, and painted them with American Tradition plastic enamel which I bought at Lowes. They turned out excellent. I used a stainless steele muffler type clamp to mount them to my Moster Tower. Good Luck! Upload
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Mike those things look real good. Are those the pioneer 4 ways? I just bough a set but havent installed them. How do they sound? Can you here them behind the boat?
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-04-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
mike - what type of connections did you use on the can? i've looked at the banana plugs, but i'm not an electrical genious...and neither are the boneheads working at radio shack... none of them can even tell me how to wire them or what else i need. any pictures of the connections you used?? they do look good...i got mine bondo'd and sanded...just need to do the connections and i'll be painting. any suggestions??
Old     (board218)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-04-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Byron, they are Pioneer grills but the speakers are actually Infinity three ways. The grills that came with the Infinity's were a metal mesh type which would have rusted in no time. I actually picked the Pioneer Grills up, which are all plastic, on ebay for like $10.00. The Infinity's sound GREAT! And yes, you can hear them behind the boat.
Ryan, I used standard binding post type connections for the speaker wire. You know, the type you unscrew, stick the wire through, and then tighten. Bought them at Radio Shack. After tightening the wires in the post's, I smeared clear silicone around them. They haven't rusted or corroded yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-06-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
use Krylon Fusion - specifically for plastics. I used it on some patio furniture & I was more than happy w/ the results. The only down side is that they only have about 5 colors of the stuff. As for the terminals, check out what crutchfield has for some ideas.