Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-26-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
I have narrowed my digital choices down to the Canon EOS 300D and the Minolta 7hi. I can't choose between the 2 and need some advice on which way to go. Thanks.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about the Minolta, but you can't go wrong with the 300D. I absolutely love it.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-26-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
How do you like the auto focus?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-26-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
Mike,

The 300D will take higher-quality images (less noisy) due mostly to its larger CCD. The larger CCD will also allow a shallower depth-of-field than you can get with the 7Hi.

The 7Hi is much cheaper and will shoot 7 fps (only at 1280x960 though).

BTW, I have a Minolta 7i and love it. While the 300D will produce better-quality images, the 7i takes really good pictures for a non-SLR, is a lot of fun to use, and only cost me $385. If image quality and lens options are important to you, however, you really have no choice but to spend more than double (or triple, or quadruple...how many lenses do you want?) the price of the Minolta.
Old                05-26-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
I think you should consider the Nikon D70 because it has faster auto focus and has more features than the 300D. The price without the lense is the same as the 300D with the lense but you are not going to be able to take decent wakeboarding shots with the any camera with a decent lense so you will probably be spending the smae amount any way. Just a thought. I would recomend the 300d even if you dont take my advise. There are all great cameras but the 300d and the d70 are just above the minolta. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-26-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
The minolta has a focusing ring that is really nice.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-26-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Nothing like an SLR with good glass for picture quality. Go with the Rebel!

Victoria Pipe
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-03-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
What lens would you recommend for the rebel? What price would you pay for that perticular lens?
Old                06-03-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
a great sports lense is the 70-200mm f4L although ull pay about 580 for it. ITs an amazing lense. With the rebels crop factor the lense becomes a 112-320mm lense really.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-03-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
The 70-200 f4 L is a great lens and priced very low for an L. Most of the pros who shoot Canon use the 70-200 f2.8 L which is bigger, heavier and more expensive but is sharper at f4 and many times the extra stop comes in very handy. The best shooting time is early morning/late evening. This is when you can use f2.8 to help maintain the high shutter speeds necessary to freeze the motion. Plus if you use a 1.4X extender you lose a stop so an f2.8 lens becomes an f4. Most of the time the f4 is fine though so that's the one to get. The 28-135 IS is a good all around lens also. I have the 70-200 f2.8L and sold the 70-200 f4. If I had it to do over I'd probably keep the f4 and spend the difference on another lens.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-10-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
How much would a 70-200 f4 L cost? I saw one for $430.
Old                06-10-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Mike,

I have the Canon 10D which the 300 is based off of. You lose some functionality and little processor but it is also significantly smaller, although not that much cheaper as I have seent eh 10D for 1200 now.

As for lenses, you will start a collection but a great starter is the Tamron XR Di 28-75mm gold f2.8. The conversion factor for digital SLR is 1.6, so this is about 40-110mm.

The 2.8 allows for amazing shutter speed. I have a 3500 pics with the 10D since I bought it last year and love it. The focusing takes some getting used to, you can change it to suit your shooting style. I have shot planes and helicopters and stopped the blade in midflight with the shutter but still retain good depth of field. The lens was about 350, cheaper than the Canon ultrasonic but focuses much faster.

The bottom line is you will never reproduce SLR qaulity in a point and shoot because of the optics.

Hope that helps.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-13-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Matthew,

It's not always the optics that make the difference since some SLR-like cameras like the Minolta 5,7,7i,7Hi,A1, and A2; the Canon Pro1; and others have their respective companies' high-end lenses. The Minoltas have the GT lens, the Pro1 has an L lens, etc.

The big difference, like I said earlier, is the larger CCD in the SLR. Each pixel is larger and therefore actually collects more light at the same shutter and aperture setting. This allows a higher signal-to-noise ratio and a less noisy image.

I guess the main point here is that in many situations (ones that don't really "stress" the lens with regards to chromatic aberration, distortion, etc.), you might get a nicer-looking image out of a 300D even with a cheaper lens.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-13-2004, 9:59 PM Reply   
"The lens was about 350, cheaper than the Canon ultrasonic but focuses much faster."

Oh you're killing me! You're the only person who owns that lens that keeps saying that. Evidently there are also huge quality differences from lens to lens with that model. It sounds like you got a good one though.

I would suggest looking at the Canon 28-135 f3.5-f5.6 USM IS. Yes, you lose a half stop at 28mm and a full stop at 70mm but the IS (image stablization) will give you 2 more stops handheld as well as 65mm more on the long end.. This is considered one of Canon's best low end lenses and it's the same price as the Tamron at B&H. It's smaller physically, is built like a tank and I will guarentee you it will focus as fast as the Tamron in spite of the smaller overall aperture.

Regardless always buy a lens from a dealer or online where you have an option to send it back. That way if you find that things aren't quite what everybody is saying you can return it. Even a less expensive lens like the Tamron is not something you want to be unhappy with.