Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    jmccallum            04-15-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
I'm planning on expanding a Self-primer ballast system with aerators… is this still the way to go?

I’m about to upgrade my very simple (Ski locker & Simer & Mushroom thru-hull) ballast system. I intend to add two floor sacs, one for the bow and one near the motor box in the back. I’ve bought a couple of aerator pumps and a scoop to help with priming and to give my aerators a little “turbo” action when I’m filling on the fly. I was planning on using the Simer for draining especially for the final “flattening.”

My goal is to double my ballast and halve my fill time.

However, I’ve noticed a couple of people who had aerator systems and switched to self-priming pumps. Is there a trend away from aerators?

Chris? Anyone?
Old    chris_hargis            04-15-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
James,
I have two Rule 2000 GPH aerator pumps lying on the garage floor right now. I took them out of my system and replaced them with two Simer pumps. I had been using a Rule 1100 and a Jabsco Macerator for draining, but they too are lying on the garage floor now. With two Simer pumps, I don't have to turn any valves to fill or drain, and my fill time is about the same as it was and my drain time is about 1/4 of what it was. 1100 pounds in about 5 minutes. Aerators are overrated in my opinion now. I ran 1 inch pvc in my system, so that does help with the fill/drain times. I also have 2 thru hulls.
With the SPDT switch, and three relays for each pump, I just have to hit switch up to fill, and down to drain. Before I had to open the fill valve, fill it, then close the valve. Draining was easy, just hit the switch, but it was very slow (over 20 minutes). I like my current set up very much and is as close to automatic as I can get (I don't have any type of overfill drain system). I have to watch the bags when I am filling them to keep from over filling.

Go with the Simers and stay away form the aerators. If it means anything, I paid $100 each for the Rule 2000s, and $57 each for the Simers.
Old    jmccallum            04-15-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Chris!!!!

I seem to recall you had a scoop on one of your intakes. Did you switch it to a mushroom head?

Old    chris_hargis            04-15-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Nope, left it as it was. I have one scope, and one muchroom. Still works great.
Old    jmccallum            04-15-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Does the scoop make the Simer fill any faster?

Can you still pump out (drain) thru the Scoop while underway?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-15-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Sounds like your system will be close to what I had last year. I used one Rule 1100 plumbed into a mushroom fitting (in the transom where the stock drain plug was located) to fill both rear bags and a self-priming Jabsco water puppy to empty the rear bags out the thru hull fitting. I had both pumps wired to one three-way switch. Up was to fill. Down was to drain. For “version 1” this was a decent set up but not that fast and I had some priming issues if I tried to fill while moving. Yes a scupper intake will help with priming. I also had to fill the locker sack and sack on the floor manually.

This season I have a new system. My goal was to fill while drinking my morning coffee. 400 lbs of lead under the bow seats helped my cause. (See previous posts Cliff put up about his system… Thanks for the help) I too am running simmer pumps now. I have 2 simmer pumps and 1 Jabsco pump. Each of my three bags has a separate pump fuse and switch. I just did my test run last night…. Both fill and drain times are under 10 minutes for 1600 lbs.

Self priming pumps… the way to go.
Old    chris_hargis            04-15-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
James, I usually am sitting still when I fill. I hit the switches and start getting my gear ready for riding. The system is filled before I am ready to put the board on. As for draining, when I am done riding, I give my wife the kill signal and she hits the drain switch while coming back to get me. I get in the boat, and put my gear away and the system is drained when I am done. I am sure that the scoop would slow down the drain while underway, but I can't say 100% sure. With the fill and drain time I have now, it isn't an issue.

I truly love not having to do anything but hit the switch now. Opening and closing valves was getting old.
Old    jmccallum            04-15-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
I'm going to have to re-think my plans for sure now.

There seems to be a real trend away from aerators and valves.

Thanks a lot for your time Chris,

P.S. To help me shut off my Simer in time I mounted a push button switch on the ceiling of my ski locker. I hooked up a buzzer to the switch so that when the ski locker sac fills it presses against the switch, closes the circuit, and scares me the s't out of me with the loud, annoying buzzer.

Old    chris_hargis            04-15-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
I remember looking at that here and thought it was a great idea, but my locker sac fills faster than my other sacks, so they wouldn't be full by the time the buzzer goes off.