Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--da...placement.html

What a chump. As a champion you aren't supposed to turn down fights. Injuries happen, you should be able to face anyone they put in front of you.

He's no champ he's a chump!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-23-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
Just got a Nike deal too..

New motto?

WONT DO IT
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-23-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
"What a chump. As a champion you aren't supposed to turn down fights"

I dont follow UFC that closely, but hasnt he defended his title like 3 times in less than a year? doesnt sound like someone who turns down fights.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Jones was already prepping for a fight and Sonnen was taking it on short notice with weight to lose...

Jones is gonna have to buy a helmet to cover up from all the crap he's gonna get dumped on him... The only UFC sponsored fighter causing the cancellation of an entire UFC event, and costing several other fighter to lose a paycheck..................Ouch!!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-23-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
Bisping’s response: “I fought Sonnen on eight days notice…just sayin’"
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-23-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Sonnen is garbage.....Why should he get a shot?
Risk injury or a fluke loss......I would think there would've been another LH they could have chosen?
Not Jones fault if the UFC cant field a card without him!!!
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
He should fight whoever is put in front of him, that's what champions do. They don't pick and choose who to fight, that's the problem with boxing.

Not to mention because he bitched out 16 other guys aren't getting paid. you would think he would have more respect for his fellow fighters and would remember the time before he was rich.

He also must have forgot that he won the title filling in for an injured fighter.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff: Sonnen has been talking a bunch of crap, and IMO dosent deserve a shot at the title, But I would like to see him get worked over by Jones.
And Serious is it rely a big deal that a UFC fight gets scrapped? There is like a fight every other weekend Im sure Dana will turn it into some sort of Soap Opera and make a few extra million of "THE BAD BLOOD" LOL LOL LOL
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-23-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
I would love to see Jones beat down Sonnen!!!!
But not a smart fight for him....And it always happens,Once you make big $ you fight different.

I still think it's shiddy to pin it on Jones!!
Dana is just pissed because of the horrible showing his fighters had a few weeks ago.
Who knows why Jones wont take the fight???
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-23-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
Are henderson and sonnen two different tpes of fighters, as far as their styles? I know boxers train differently for each fight, as boxers have different styles. Facing someone on short notice who you havent trained for is not a good idea. Especially for a title fight.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
It was Greg Jackson that told him not to fight and Dana and Greg do not get along. I am sure this was an f you to Dana from Greg as much as it was the right decsion for his fighter. I highly doubt that Jones was concerned about Sonnen because he is a total biotch who never wins fights. He was lucky he got two shots at Silva. He already agreed to fight Machida in a couple weeks. He is smart and managing his career appropriately. I think Hendo and Sonnen represent two totally different styles but Sonnen doesn't stand a chance against Jones. I think he did the right thing. I wouldn't give Sonnen a shot either, he doesn't deserve it. You wouldn't believe the disrespectful **** Sonnen has said on twitter to Jones for weeks. What was once entertaining with Sonnen has proven to be tiresome since he can't back his mouth up. He is a classless douche and I am glad that Jones isn't giving him the time of day.

Lets remember that these guys fight in entirely different weight classes and it would not have been a title shot from what i understand.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 08-23-2012 at 9:30 PM.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
Wait so the UFC didnt end when Brock quit? Interesting....
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
I see both sides very clearly as I follow this stuff very closely. Bottom line is it is a lose lose for jones. If he somehow loses to a challenger that did not deserve it, he breaks his streak in LW that he has been trying to do since he started. Plus he looks bad to the fans and they question him as a champ and his legacy. The card sucked, that's not his fault. It's also not his fault that they did not have a correct replacement going into the fight. Finally, Dan Henderson knew abbot the injury about 3 weeks before and should have went to the UFC so they could do something about it.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Tweets from Jon Jones..

"I'll never turn down any fight ever"

"You don't have to worry about me drinking and driving and doign all of that stupid stuff"

"I'd accept a fight with Chael without even thinking about it. No hesitation"
2 weeks before the fight was offered

Yep.. **** you Jones. You lost me as a fan on this one. He's the same style as Hendo (except considerably smaller and less tough).
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-31-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
Yhea I think he kills Chael with no training and one arm tied behind his back, but still lose lose. Oh well. At least there is a good card coming up next
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
There is no "lose" in taking a last minute fight against someone you can dominate.

He wins
Makes money
Adds another w/title defense
Gets sponsor $
Makes fans happy

You are drinking the Greg Jackson juice.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-31-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
^^^^^And a fluke injury or eye poke or something while fighting a "fill in" fighter is a losing situation.
Too much risk with no reward......
Beating a chump gets him no respect.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-31-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Anyone think Chuck Liddell would have turned down the fight? Hell no, he would have said bring it on I'll shut that little b up. Anderson Silva would have fought too, he tried but it was too late. These guys understand what the Ufc has done for them and their careers.

Jones wouldn't be **** if not for the Ufc, mma was going nowhere before them. It might still be around but nowhere as big with as much money in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-31-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
^^^^ I agree....I heard Silva said he would fight anybody but Jones on that card to fill the main? Any truth to that.....
UFC will survive this.....might help them. They have been flooding us with events and they were bound to have something like this happen.
And lets not forget about Hendo if he indeed held out before telling Dana.